4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Roast Em Bobby
February 12, 2022, 8:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
I’m surprised some thought Burgess had a good game. I was deliberately watching him closely because I’ve not seen him play before and he was pretty much anonymous for most of the game and had less of an impact than Coke does, and I’m not a massive fan of Coke. If Fox is going to be out for a while we need someone else in.

I thought their number 14 looked a decent player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
jamesgtfc
February 12, 2022, 8:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Aldershot came at us from the off which really helped us. Their keeper was making his debut today and McAtee's first looked a clanger on his part.

Just before McAtee scored I thought Clifton was going to shoot on his left and what a goal that could have been! Good to put a game to bed for the first time in a while. I like that McAtee is selfish but it's about knowing when to do it and when not to. I didn't notice it but the person next to me said when McAtee was through for his third, Taylor stopped running because he knew what was going to happen.

Their goal is a frustrating one to concede but on we go. I think we would have all taken 7 points from Notts, King's Lynn and Aldershot beforehand.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
MuddyWaters
February 12, 2022, 8:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from coddy60

How is he not a team player, he runs himself into the ground pressing, scores and creates goals, not everything he does is perfect, but he's a kid, playing in league 5. He will learn with experience, I wouldn't stop him doing anything he does, I would encourage more...

Yup. I pretty much expected that.  

He’s a cracking player, of course he is, but he’s capable of being better. That’s only a criticism if you want it to be. I’m saying that an extra split second to look for a better option would make him outstanding at this level.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
MuddyWaters
February 12, 2022, 8:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
I’m surprised some thought Burgess had a good game. I was deliberately watching him closely because I’ve not seen him play before and he was pretty much anonymous for most of the game and had less of an impact than Coke does, and I’m not a massive fan of Coke. If Fox is going to be out for a while we need someone else in.

Interesting. I thought their 14 looked decent and 24 when he came on at half time. Turns out they are 2 loanees, Glover from Bournemouth and Vennings from Charlton.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
Jaws
February 12, 2022, 8:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Felt too easy today without really getting going. Aldershot offered very little, was expecting a similar side to Kings Lynn today.

Goals aside didn't really think of anyone having a great game or standing out but noone really needed to.

Special shout out to the stewards who continue to allow the last aisleway of the Pontoon to become blocked and a stampede at every goal. Will cost us a fortune when someone cracks their head open. Similarly, have to congratulate them on their failure to eject a supporter who was so drunk he couldn't walk and urinated in his seat and then involuntarily wet himself later on, even though this was reported to the stewards.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 39
TownSNAFU5
February 12, 2022, 9:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
McAtee works on a different level to most of the team.  When we have possession he will often find space and move into it quickly.  He then points and demands that the ball is played to him quickly before he is closed down. There are many missed opportunities when the ball is not passed to him.  We delay or make a less effective pass.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
aldi_01
February 12, 2022, 9:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

All about opinions but I’d say our midfield likes much more forward thinking without Coke in there so that would imply that Burgess did have a decent game. Perhaps he’s one of those players, those players that jjst crack on without doing anything fancy.

Was an easy win in the end and Aldershot are probably the worst side I’ve seen at BP this season, their keeper was a bit ropey.

Mcatee didn’t have a decent game by his standards, even though he bagged too. Sometimes he almost tries too hard. Glad Sousa got a goal, he works his bollcoks off, I still can’t decide if he’s any good but can’t fault effort.

Glad Scannell got a longer run out, I’d still have binned him off and I’m half expecting a comment in the week to say he’s injured but he was at least positive when he came on.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
moosey_club
February 12, 2022, 9:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ginnywings
Routine win against a limited Aldershot, who to their credit, kept going, kept trying to play football and we gave them our obligatory sloppy goal at the end of a very dull second half.

To be fair, it was over as a contest at half time and the third just made it more comfortable, allowing PH to give minutes to the fringe players. Any momentum we had was stifled at that point and it was just a case of running down the clock in wet and windy conditions.

Their keeper had a bit of a mare and should have comfortably palmed way McAtee's first and he got unlucky for the second as his save from the same player went straight back to him for him to score. McAtee probably man of the match for his goals, but I thought Taylor again had a good game before going off.

Burgess looked tidy without tearing up any trees and the whole team were competent, rather than rampant.

3 more points and onto a tough next fixture.

Actually thought that Taylor had a poor game compared to his own standard and the Macatee finish for his second was fantastic, very fast reactions to switch his feet and finish

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
toontown
February 12, 2022, 9:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70

Totally agree. Burgess is an anonymous player at this level at best. He stands further forward than Coke but is far more anonymous than him. I am not a Coke fan During a game. First time ive ever said this but red Cross away. Burgess is definitely not the answer. He was veery mediocre. He has never been anything but when he has come on.

It is a case of the result clouding peoples judgement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 39
February 12, 2022, 9:59pm
Guest User
Really enjoyed it which was a bonus as I couldn’t be arsed today. Clifton, McAtee and Raikhy stand outs.
Reply: 29 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.