chaos33
February 11, 2022, 8:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,981
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from male private Nale
Seems to me the journalist hoped he was gonna witness mass scale disorder on the Saturday and when he didn’t he cobbled together some crap which occurs throughout society, drink and drug taking. He then stuck 15 seconds of actual football violence which occurred the following day and tarred us with this.

Jesus if you put a few hundred drinking on a small train it’s gonna look like a piece of excrement come the end of it, be that football , horse racing or just on a bender. Not saying it’s acceptable but it’s life.

More sensationalist journalism on what is really a non story. He got the day wrong he should have followed the old bill on Sunday if he wanted real football violence

Astonishing assessment in my opinion.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 106
chaos33
February 11, 2022, 8:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There were people on trains intimidated by behaviour of GTFC fans, a train taken out of service because of the state it was in, drug taking, under age drinking, offensive weapons etc but it’s ok because you didn’t see anything?

I’m not saying it’s only a GTFC problem. It isn’t, but please don’t condone it. It’s not acceptable.

Absolutely right.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 106
GibMariner
February 11, 2022, 8:06am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -964
Gold Stars: 21
How the some on here can remotely defend in anyway shape or form, just defies logic.

A very sad reflection and will impact on our proper supporters.

A ‘carry on’ statement!!! from the club.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 106
DB
February 11, 2022, 8:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
I had the misfortune to take the last train from Sheffield to Doncaster a few years ago, not my plan but the Manchester train terminated at Sheffield.

Drunks on the train, toilets covered in sick, pestered by the drunks and the conductor didn't care. No police at Donny and the rail company didn't care too hoots either.

Every time I've used the railways there has been problems with something. Overcrowding on trains should be illegal but the rail companies don't care. Cattle are transported with more respect than humans.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 106
male private Nale
February 11, 2022, 8:25am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -924
Gold Stars: 136
That’s right , get sucked into the sensationalist journalism..... less than 1% of those attending were arrested ... zero violence between fans but we are hooligans. Some of you obviously haven’t followed town back in 80’s and 90’s.

What did you actually see on that ‘expose’ ... circa 90 seconds of young lads disembarking a train boisterously , town fans chanting we are on the pitch if we score (they didn’t go on). The reality is any trouble was caused the following day but who gets all the attention? We do.  

don’t believe the hype.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 106
male private Nale
February 11, 2022, 8:43am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -924
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from chaos33

Astonishing assessment in my opinion.

An astonishing opinion in my assessment
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 106
goldenfish
February 11, 2022, 9:06am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +212
Gold Stars: 16
A lot of blame going to police , stewards , train operators …. People aren’t very keen on taking responsibility for their own actions these days.  I can’t speak for other teams , but following Town , within our amazing fan base  we do have a idiots ..  What you do to make those idiots behave in a more considerate and lawful way at  , I don’t know .. same as in wider society.It can’t be defended or excused .. nor blame passed to anybody else .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 106
Sandford1981
February 11, 2022, 9:07am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59

We don’t need to get sucked in by the ‘sensationalist journalism’ there are genuine supporters first hand accounts which tell their own story.

Of course it’s a minority, of course violence occurs at other boozy and chemically enhanced gatherings (and some other ones too no doubt),  of course its representative of wider society and yes It’s been going on for years.

However, no amount of of ‘whataboutery’ should detract from the fact that a sub culture of football ‘fans’ are ruining the experience for other supporters snd a whole lot of other people who have just gone to do a days work.

There is no need to get defensive or tribal about it and we shouldn’t be making excuses for it either.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 106
chaos33
February 11, 2022, 9:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from male private Nale

An astonishing opinion in my assessment

I think you’ve conflated issues and missed the point, whilst getting hot under the collar.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 106
pen penfras
February 11, 2022, 9:14am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -129
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from cardiffmariner
I like our new owners and how they have conducted themselves so far but for me that statement is a bit limp wristed.

Praising the masses with a gentle ticking off for the naughty boys, whilst also suggesting it’s not their fault they behaved badly, they have issues. Meanwhile the naughty boys snigger in the back row planning their next big shindig without fear of ever being reprimanded.

The statement is poor, but they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. When a statement went out that said a minority of fans are causing problems, it caused outrage amongst the supporters as if the club were accusing all fans of being a problem. Of course this was one of many statements taken out of context because they weren't as eloquent as the current owners, but the message was similar whilst being more critical of the problem fans.

That statement basically sounds like they don't really care. It's probably because they're scared of getting more bad press because some people take anything bad said about any small number of our fans as being against the fans. I'd prefer them to take a proper stance though, that's not acceptable and the club should do everything they can to ban these cretins
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 106
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Oh dear

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.