MuddyWaters
February 12, 2022, 6:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I was on the 10:39 train from Grimsby station with my nephew and a couple of his friends (all adults). We were housed in the very end carriage just before 1st class, I say housed, crammed would be a better description. We were stood back to back for the entire journey, as was the same in most carriages. I’m not defending any behaviour at all but the first point must be than East Midlands Trains would have been well aware from Police sources how many Town fans were likely to travel and they simply didn’t offer adequate enough carriages… it was bordering on bloody dangerous the amount of people on each carriage, a disaster waiting to happen that thankfully did not.

I can only speak for our carriage but the atmosphere was very positive. Loud? Yes, Chanting? Absolutely, Aggressive? Not at all. I cannot the say the same for the other carriages mind. We even had three ladies in their 40’s/50’s I’d guess heading to Nottingham on a day trip who joined in the fun and singing and had a great time. At no point did they appear worried, threatened or cautious, as was the Town fans behaviour!

One of the BIG problems, other than the over-crowding was the toileting facilities. There was ONE toilet that could be used separating three carriages as the next one along was out of order. You can appreciate just how problematic the station of hundreds of people, many drinking needing to share or wait for just one facility. There were reports of lads urinating in the aisle or on a seat which I absolutely don’t condone and think is a disgrace, but we were not helped at all by the facilities provided!

If anybody listened to the football forum tonight would have heard the Scunny fan actually defending Town fans when asked by Matt Dean about the Times article and he said, basically that football reflects society and the scenes on the train last week would ha e been no different if it were a music gig or outside any nightclub on a weekend were crowds of people are corralled together!

I also didn’t see any actual trouble on the way or inside the ground, yes the scenes in the concourse were a bit lively but nothing that you would see at most away crowds in my opinion. It certainly didn’t seem to stop or worry the many people who had taken their children to the game, females of all ages etc!

What I saw was lads young and old, drinking a little too much probably and consuming god knows what else and getting a little rowdy but I definitely didn’t come away thinking any less of our fans!

We’re an easy story and target though aren’t we! They make a huge deal of the amount of drugs found and seized… you cannot tell me you wouldn’t have found a similar amount of drugs at away crowds of comparable size at any ground in the country every weekend, this is not exclusive to Grimsby Town fans!

I don’t see anyone saying it’s Town fans exclusively but saying “it’s not just us” doesn’t make drug taking, underage drinking and pissing everywhere acceptable, does it?
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 106
Limerick Mariner
February 12, 2022, 6:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,722
Gold Stars: 137
I fail to understand why Operation Wolfgang was conducted at the Nottingham end? Make all trains alcohol-free and confiscate alcohol, drugs and pyros at Clee and Gy stations.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 106
Mighty_Mariner
February 12, 2022, 6:59pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,241
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don’t see anyone saying it’s Town fans exclusively but saying “it’s not just us” doesn’t make drug taking, underage drinking and pissing everywhere acceptable, does it?

Absolutely not, which is why I said twice in my post that I’m not condoning or defending some of the behaviour that went on.

If they had done the same story on a packed train on the way to a gif or music festival, would they have seen anything drastically different? I’m not sure they would have!

What I would say too, as other have mentioned is that more must be done to try and eradicate the few that do ruin it for the rest and travel to games purely for drink and rowdiness. How that is done is the mystery it seems!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 106
Mighty_Mariner
February 12, 2022, 7:38pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,241
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
I fail to understand why Operation Wolfgang was conducted at the Nottingham end? Make all trains alcohol-free and confiscate alcohol, drugs and pyros at Clee and Gy stations.

This is an excellent point. If drug-taking is highly suspected based on Intelligence, why allow them at least 2-hours in public transport to consume as much as they wanted to. I would hazard a guess too that many of the ‘seasoned’ regulars would have known or at least suspected drug dogs would be in operation so got rid well in advance! Just seems that whole operation wasn’t half as effective as it could potentially have been!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 106
aldi_01
February 12, 2022, 7:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Had a cracking chat with one of our football officers today, did my A levels with the lad. Was interesting getting his take on the story and rationale. What was encouraging was his view that it was a sensationalist story to fit a narrative, failing to celebrate the huge majority that behave and aren’t morons.

They’d received some intelligence that these sorts of reports will be published throughout the year across the country in response to the incidents that happened at the euros final…again though, his take on that was certainly acknowledging that poor planning and stewards taking significant amounts of cash didn’t help anything.

Nothing will be made of it but fair play to the pie of them to front it up so to speak in the pub before the match. As they said, sensationalism like the report don’t help them do their job, just seems to create a bigger divide..

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 106
Limerick Mariner
February 13, 2022, 7:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,722
Gold Stars: 137
East Mids news on just now - trouble flared at Middlesborough v Derby, numerous city centre incidents and incidences of fans taking drugs. I assume the police concern is the trend of fans snorting coke, meaning fans are more wound up, not sure the police will be too bothered about weed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 106
KingstonMariner
February 13, 2022, 7:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ska face
The Woking threads made specific reference to drug taking.

Again, this is part of the problem. It’s a lazy reference, not backed by anything, making a spurious claim that one set of people are fine and others not based on how far they’ve travelled?

I wasn’t on the train, but it’s pretty easy to see how some seats might’ve had píss on them - not acceptable, but I don’t think it’s a case of people being so drunk that they’ve píssed their pants, or people have just decided to start urinating all over each other. We’re not rugby fans. Overfill a train to a point where people can’t move down the carriage to reach the 1 or 2 toilets which were blocked after half an hour, and people are going to have to píss in bottles or cans.

Squeeze that many people onto a train going to Plymouth and you get the same result.

People went out of their way to stand in the no standing area at Woking, conveniently in front of the gate so they didn’t have to climb the fence when they wanted to go in the pitch. Including a cöck who looked about 40 with a little boy.

Agree on the point about poor train facilities. It’s pretty much the same in town centres. All the public bogs have been closed, so once you’re out of the pub/restaurant/theatre you have nowhere to go for a slash. It’s not too much to ask for facilities which we had over 100 years ago, yet somehow as a much richer society we cannot afford now.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 106
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Oh dear

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.