2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Bogtrotter
October 9, 2021, 7:48pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +222
Gold Stars: 8
Living out on the sticks, I haven't been out boozing in Town since about 1989. I've been out for meals in Cleethorpes which have involved the odd pint here and there but that's about it. Are there any real ale pubs left where you can have a few pints without loads of grief? I don't mind a bit of spit and sawdust, but don't much fancy drugged up fighting male masturbators.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 9, 2021, 8:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Bogtrotter
Living out on the sticks, I haven't been out boozing in Town since about 1989. I've been out for meals in Cleethorpes which have involved the odd pint here and there but that's about it. Are there any real ale pubs left where you can have a few pints without loads of grief? I don't mind a bit of spit and sawdust, but don't much fancy drugged up fighting male masturbators.

I’ve a queue of friends (one more than than Fillipe Noche) who have been propagandad into a weekend in GY / Meg once restrictions end(ed).

Any advice much appreciated.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
Maringer
October 9, 2021, 8:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,658
Gold Stars: 189
I've not been out in Clee since early last year, but Willy's has always sold real ale. Is the Notts still open? That always had a decent selection as well. Nowhere up near the Marketplace was much good for it that I can recall, other than Wetherspoons, which is always massively hit and miss of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
promotion plaice
October 9, 2021, 9:51pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,087
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from Maringer
I've not been out in Clee since early last year, but Willy's has always sold real ale. Is the Notts still open? That always had a decent selection as well. Nowhere up near the Marketplace was much good for it that I can recall, other than Wetherspoons, which is always massively hit and miss of course.

Yes it is, it reopened with new landlords.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
Bogtrotter
October 9, 2021, 10:03pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +222
Gold Stars: 8
Is the Rutland Arms any good?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
ginnywings
October 9, 2021, 10:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Bogtrotter
Is the Rutland Arms any good?

Bit out of the way but usually have excellent beer. Recently had a refurb I understand, but I've not been in there for yonks. Can have it's share of male masturbators, but so can any pub.

There really aren't that many good real pubs in GY/Clee any more. Willy's/Notts/No1/No2 in Meggies.

I'm not a big fan of drinking in GY. Always seems to be overly aggressive when I go up there.

There's Docks Beers of course, but again, It's out of the way of the main concentration of pubs in Town. The County Hotel used to be ok, but not been in there since pre lockdown. Primarily it was because they usually had live music and the beer was passable on occasion.

I tend to get a train to Leeds/Sheffield/York nowadays if I want a good night out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
KingstonMariner
October 9, 2021, 11:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Willys always seems to be a good mix of people with no real hint of aggro. Good beer too. Bit tight packed in without many seats. But I’d take that.

Not been in the Notts since the new landlord took over but it was always good.

Tale of Two alright beer. Decent clientele.

Message in a Bottle, good choice of beer for an early start. Think the licence requires them to close early, or has that changed now?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
aldi_01
October 10, 2021, 9:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Willys always seems to be a good mix of people with no real hint of aggro. Good beer too. Bit tight packed in without many seats. But I’d take that.

Not been in the Notts since the new landlord took over but it was always good.

Tale of Two alright beer. Decent clientele.

Message in a Bottle, good choice of beer for an early start. Think the licence requires them to close early, or has that changed now?

They still have to shut earlyish which is why it’s good for a few early slurps…

Willys, Notts, the fish (has some decent ale on these days if a weird vibe), smuggs has real ale but can be hit and miss. No2 and No1 have a fair selection and decent vibe…Market place/top end tends to be for the young uns…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
Humbercod
October 10, 2021, 11:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,488
Gold Stars: 82
No.2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
Brazilnut
October 13, 2021, 9:45am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +979
Gold Stars: 30
No 1  always a decent selection and a no hassle pub

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Real ale pubs in Town

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.