Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: Bogtrotter, October 9, 2021, 7:48pm
Living out on the sticks, I haven't been out boozing in Town since about 1989. I've been out for meals in Cleethorpes which have involved the odd pint here and there but that's about it. Are there any real ale pubs left where you can have a few pints without loads of grief? I don't mind a bit of spit and sawdust, but don't much fancy drugged up fighting male masturbators.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 9, 2021, 8:36pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Bogtrotter
Living out on the sticks, I haven't been out boozing in Town since about 1989. I've been out for meals in Cleethorpes which have involved the odd pint here and there but that's about it. Are there any real ale pubs left where you can have a few pints without loads of grief? I don't mind a bit of spit and sawdust, but don't much fancy drugged up fighting male masturbators.

I’ve a queue of friends (one more than than Fillipe Noche) who have been propagandad into a weekend in GY / Meg once restrictions end(ed).

Any advice much appreciated.
Posted by: Maringer, October 9, 2021, 8:38pm; Reply: 2
I've not been out in Clee since early last year, but Willy's has always sold real ale. Is the Notts still open? That always had a decent selection as well. Nowhere up near the Marketplace was much good for it that I can recall, other than Wetherspoons, which is always massively hit and miss of course.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 9, 2021, 9:51pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Maringer
I've not been out in Clee since early last year, but Willy's has always sold real ale. Is the Notts still open? That always had a decent selection as well. Nowhere up near the Marketplace was much good for it that I can recall, other than Wetherspoons, which is always massively hit and miss of course.

Yes it is, it reopened with new landlords.

Posted by: Bogtrotter, October 9, 2021, 10:03pm; Reply: 4
Is the Rutland Arms any good?
Posted by: ginnywings, October 9, 2021, 10:35pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Bogtrotter
Is the Rutland Arms any good?

Bit out of the way but usually have excellent beer. Recently had a refurb I understand, but I've not been in there for yonks. Can have it's share of male masturbators, but so can any pub.

There really aren't that many good real pubs in GY/Clee any more. Willy's/Notts/No1/No2 in Meggies.

I'm not a big fan of drinking in GY. Always seems to be overly aggressive when I go up there.

There's Docks Beers of course, but again, It's out of the way of the main concentration of pubs in Town. The County Hotel used to be ok, but not been in there since pre lockdown. Primarily it was because they usually had live music and the beer was passable on occasion.

I tend to get a train to Leeds/Sheffield/York nowadays if I want a good night out.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 9, 2021, 11:33pm; Reply: 6
Willys always seems to be a good mix of people with no real hint of aggro. Good beer too. Bit tight packed in without many seats. But I’d take that.

Not been in the Notts since the new landlord took over but it was always good.

Tale of Two alright beer. Decent clientele.

Message in a Bottle, good choice of beer for an early start. Think the licence requires them to close early, or has that changed now?
Posted by: aldi_01, October 10, 2021, 9:16am; Reply: 7
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Willys always seems to be a good mix of people with no real hint of aggro. Good beer too. Bit tight packed in without many seats. But I’d take that.

Not been in the Notts since the new landlord took over but it was always good.

Tale of Two alright beer. Decent clientele.

Message in a Bottle, good choice of beer for an early start. Think the licence requires them to close early, or has that changed now?

They still have to shut earlyish which is why it’s good for a few early slurps…

Willys, Notts, the fish (has some decent ale on these days if a weird vibe), smuggs has real ale but can be hit and miss. No2 and No1 have a fair selection and decent vibe…Market place/top end tends to be for the young uns…
Posted by: Humbercod, October 10, 2021, 11:00am; Reply: 8
No.2
Posted by: Brazilnut, October 13, 2021, 9:45am; Reply: 9
No 1  always a decent selection and a no hassle pub
Posted by: Stadium, October 13, 2021, 6:12pm; Reply: 10
Willeys,had Leffe on draught & also Duvel in the fridge.
Fishermans,Tale of Two(anyone know what they are offering beer wise?)
No 1 & No 2
Notts,solid choices

Posted by: Bogtrotter, October 13, 2021, 7:30pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Stadium
Willeys,had Leffe on draught & also Duvel in the fridge.

Fight fight fight fight! :-)
Posted by: Stadium, October 13, 2021, 8:20pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Bogtrotter

Fight fight fight fight! :-)

Belgium Beers  ;D ;D
Posted by: Bogtrotter, October 14, 2021, 10:06pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Stadium

Belgium Beers  ;D ;D

I know. Strong blonde Belgian beers that creep up on you. Fight fight fight fight! :-)

Triples are my favourite. Although at my age it's more "snore snore snore" than fight fight fight after a few 8% monsters. :-)
Posted by: Maringer, October 14, 2021, 10:17pm; Reply: 14
Pfft. Tripels are for softies. Go for the Quadrupels instead!
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 8:40pm