This thread currently has 4,563 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Biccys
September 27, 2021, 3:08pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Degenerated into a covid thread so moved from the main board.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 51
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 27, 2021, 3:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from Kris2

I'd honestly forgot about him, wasn't he involved in a bank robbery or something after he left us?

I wish I could forget about him, the epitome of everything that was wrong with Slade's first period in charge. I mentioned him because of football related reasons, he was a red card waiting to happen every time he got on the pitch. He had the look of a man completely out of control. Slade got to the point where he just couldn't pick him.

But yes, he was involved in a robbery (not of a bank) and somebody got shot and killed as part of the robbery.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 51
Kris2
September 27, 2021, 3:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
I love how it started as laughing at one of our players for being a total conspiracy theorist nutcase and then the Fishy's own conspiracy theorist, far-right nutcase reared their head.

Transmission is much lower in every age group except for children and less in England among children than other parts of the UK. Children are, surprise, not vaccinated, much less likely to social distance and self-isolate and as such remain the most infected. There is plenty of evidence that vaccinations have reduced transmission, it doesn't matter if it'll stop you getting it, if it stops you becoming extremely ill or stops transmission because antibodies are increased then we move away from a pandemic. There is no good argument against vaccinations, nightmarish diseases like polio are no longer a threat to the West because of successful vaccination programs. Antivax sentiments among parents could bring the return of that nightmare if enough successive generations grow that kind of conspiracy mentality.

I'd just love to hear the arguments of why the government would be forcing all of this on you for no reason. What benefit do they have for giving you a vaccine for nothing along with all other measures like mass lockdowns. None of that was of any benefit to the government, the economy, the country or anyone else. Maybe to companies that got the contracts for research and development but they didn't need it. "big pharma" is a constant argument for conspiracy theorists against vaccine and COVID measures but they already have a nation hooked on painkillers so they really didn't need more money from this on thing and if anything they lost money due to the measures taken.

Most people upset about the whole thing also voted in the current government so I guess vote them out next time?
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 51
Bigdog
September 27, 2021, 6:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Kris2
I love how it started as laughing at one of our players for being a total conspiracy theorist nutcase and then the Fishy's own conspiracy theorist, far-right nutcase reared their head.

Transmission is much lower in every age group except for children and less in England among children than other parts of the UK. Children are, surprise, not vaccinated, much less likely to social distance and self-isolate and as such remain the most infected. There is plenty of evidence that vaccinations have reduced transmission, it doesn't matter if it'll stop you getting it, if it stops you becoming extremely ill or stops transmission because antibodies are increased then we move away from a pandemic. There is no good argument against vaccinations, nightmarish diseases like polio are no longer a threat to the West because of successful vaccination programs. Antivax sentiments among parents could bring the return of that nightmare if enough successive generations grow that kind of conspiracy mentality.

I'd just love to hear the arguments of why the government would be forcing all of this on you for no reason. What benefit do they have for giving you a vaccine for nothing along with all other measures like mass lockdowns. None of that was of any benefit to the government, the economy, the country or anyone else. Maybe to companies that got the contracts for research and development but they didn't need it. "big pharma" is a constant argument for conspiracy theorists against vaccine and COVID measures but they already have a nation hooked on painkillers so they really didn't need more money from this on thing and if anything they lost money due to the measures taken.

Most people upset about the whole thing also voted in the current government so I guess vote them out next time?

Unnecessary..

Fully vaccinated adults can carry the same amount of coronavirus as those who are unvaccinated, according to a new study.

Researchers from the University of Oxford found the viral load reduction can be wiped out by the Delta variant which is now dominant in the UK.

While evidence demonstrates that vaccines significantly reduce hospitalisations and deaths, scientists now believe those infected by the Delta variant can still harbour similar levels of virus to those who are unvaccinated.

Previous research found that double jabbed people with the Alpha variant had far lower viral loads than un-vaccinated people, stoking hopes that the virus would spread less the more people were vaccinated.

However this has been thrown into doubt and raises questions about vaccine passports and recent changes to the NHS app, which work on the assumption that double-jabbed people are less likely to spread the virus.

Based on their work, the researchers said that although jabs did not eliminate chances of getting Covid-19, they did reduce the risk and remained the most effective way to ensure protection against the Delta variant.

Figures from the Office for National Statistics shows antibody levels remain high across the UK in the week beginning July 26, with nine in 10 adults estimated to have Covid antibodies.

Sarah Walker, professor of medical statistics and epidemiology at the University of Oxford, said: “We don’t yet know how much transmission can happen from people who get Covid-19 after being vaccinated.

“For example, they may have high levels of virus for shorter periods of time.

“But the fact that they can have high levels of virus suggests that people who aren’t yet vaccinated may not be as protected from the Delta variant as we hoped.

“This means it is essential for as many people as possible to get vaccinated, both in the UK and worldwide.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/double-covid-vaccinated-same-viral-load-unvaccinated-b951377.html

I'm double vaxxed after weighing up the pros and cons, and as I said, data is still a work in progress..

And the phrase conspiracy theorist is a throwaway line to label anyone you disagree with. A fine example of misuse is the US Election. Bannings from social media, factcheckers and big tech closing down any dissent of the US Election results. Watched the Maricopa County audit report live on Friday night which identified widespread fraud, way more than needed to overturn the statewide election result, just in one county. Only the second forensic audit so far in the US and both show large scale fraud. No longer a conspiracy theory, but you wouldn't know that due to MSM and big tech propaganda. There's the huge question of the legitimacy of the government of the largest democracy in the world, the huge question of the origin of Covid 19 the establishment doesn't want to address, the seemingly purposeful fook up in Afghanistan by Biden & Co and also their hypocrisy in invoking mask and vaccine mandates for US citizens while not enforcinng testing or vaccinations on the 2m or so immigrants arriving at the southern border before sending them to states across the country. They seem to have isolated natural allies while emboldening China, Iran etc and countries like Canada and Australia are unrecognisable from what they were pre-Covid. God knows where this is going, pray for the Taiwanese, and funnily enough I feel lucky to be living in the UK because it seems relatively sane compared to many in all this chaos..

There's big questions to be asked and answered and I don't blame anyone for just getting on with their lives and never giving them a second thought..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 51
KingstonMariner
September 27, 2021, 7:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
What the fūck has that got to do with the price of fish bigdog? Vaccination reduce risk. End of. Anyone who doesn’t have a vaccine for reasons other than advice from their doctor is a loon.

The Woking manager is bang on. If most people were unable to perform their duties because they were not taking care of their health or for not maintaining any necessary professional credentials, they would be disciplined. Drink too much the night before you drive a train, you’re disciplined. That’s like catching covid when you’re not vaccinated. If you lose your NMC registration, you can no longer be a nurse. That’s like an unvaccinated but negative player not being able to play when there are positive cases in the squad.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 51
Bigdog
September 27, 2021, 7:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from KingstonMariner
What the fūck has that got to do with the price of fish bigdog? Vaccination reduce risk. End of. Anyone who doesn’t have a vaccine for reasons other than advice from their doctor is a loon.

The Woking manager is bang on. If most people were unable to perform their duties because they were not taking care of their health or for not maintaining any necessary professional credentials, they would be disciplined. Drink too much the night before you drive a train, you’re disciplined. That’s like catching covid when you’re not vaccinated. If you lose your NMC registration, you can no longer be a nurse. That’s like an unvaccinated but negative player not being able to play when there are positive cases in the squad.

I personally know two guys in the age range of professional footballers, one 24 the other 28, both fit young men without pre-existing health conditions who now have Myocarditis post Covid vaccination. Maybe a statistical anomaly, but there it is.The 24 year old is not in a good way and faces some real challenges.. no "end of" for him.. and the chances of him dying or being extremely poorly from Covid unvaxxed were miniscule according to the data so far..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 51
moosey_club
September 27, 2021, 7:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226

I wish I could forget about him, the epitome of everything that was wrong with Slade's first period in charge. I mentioned him because of football related reasons, he was a red card waiting to happen every time he got on the pitch. He had the look of a man completely out of control. Slade got to the point where he just couldn't pick him.

But yes, he was involved in a robbery (not of a bank) and somebody got shot and killed as part of the robbery.

He was the getaway driver I think......also out of the same squad Glen Downey......folklore/  urban myth would have it that he was arrested for being a pimp post football career

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 51
Abdul19
September 27, 2021, 9:38pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,586
Gold Stars: 218

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 51
Maringer
September 28, 2021, 12:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,658
Gold Stars: 189
Most of Bigdog's comments sound reasonable enough, but only have a tangential basis in truth when you dive down into the details. I'll ignore the Fauci/Wuhan/Gain of Function guff which is good, old-fashioned conspiracy theory without any real evidence to back it up.

In general, I'm surprised that he's not made any mention about the emergence of the Delta variant which is so much more infectious than previous strains (including the Alpha which caused the big wave at the start of the year), that's it has pretty much changed everything. Covid has gone from a virus which could be pretty much suppressed and with vaccination and firm public health measures, to one which is quickly becoming endemic. Delta is utterly dominant everywhere in the world now but for South America and it is gradually outcompeting the variants over there as well. Most of our peers are doing their best to keep Delta rates down whilst the vaccines are rolled out amongst younger people. We've just given up and are letting it rip through schools unchecked. Hence the high case rate in the UK, especially amongst younger people. Most of our peers began vaccinating younger teens in the summer months, but we didn't and still aren't, despite the fact that the MHRA authorised it as safe back in June! Cases are rocketing in ages 10-14 and now increasing among their parents. Not something seen in countries with a vaccination programme for ages 12+.

As for how much immunity the vaccines provide, it's a tricky picture, but the answer seems to be quite a lot, even against Delta which has more vaccine/antibody escape than most earlier variants. I suspect that you get quite a lot of protection in situations where you're not spending a lot of time close to those infected (i.e. in shops, well-ventilated areas and so forth). However, if an adult or older child in your household catches it, you've probably got a very high possibility of becoming infected. The risk of serious illness is greatly reduced when vaccinated, even if you are young and only at small risk in the first place. With literally billions of doses of vaccine given, there is an absolutely huge amount of data showing this to be true.

How does this all relate to Woking's players and their manager's rant? My view is that it is reasonable to expect a professional footballer to do everything in his power to keep himself fit. It is public health advice that the vaccines are safe and effective and that everyone should get them (there is a vast amount of data available), so I perfectly understand the basis for the rant and agree with his sentiments.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 51
aldi_01
September 28, 2021, 5:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
He can have his rant, that’s his right I guess. We’re all entitled to opinion, doesn’t mean he’s entirely right, much like folk who don’t want a vaccine, they’re within their right and right wrong or indifferent, it’s their choice.

This guff will ramble on for years now, we just better get used to it.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Woking Boss Rant

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.