DB
September 8, 2021, 10:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I'm sure a condition of that money is that it MUST go on the youth system. 1878 are obviously much more privy to what has been going on than most of us. I think 1878 has too much professionalism but I would love to know what exactly they discovered after committing £2.5m.

JS & AP are very professional in how they speak and give nothing away when they don't want to. Having listened to them they are very good at being none committal ( when they don't want to) and deflecting questions. They let out bits and pieces from the past so not as to be slanderous or libelous. As you rightly put it 'I would love to know what exactly they discovered after committing £2.5m', so would I.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
ska face
September 8, 2021, 10:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

It was

Are you seriously on here pretending to be Ian Fleming? Have a day off you sad cúnt.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
jamesgtfc
September 8, 2021, 10:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

It was

Curiouser and curiouser.

Ian Fleming has been spoken about very highly by the board and many that know him, so I don't think you are him.

The Three Grand Chairman was always the obvious one and his departure was announced, albeit short and sweet.

Unless I've missed it, our esteemed Stadium Manager with a hatred for those he was paid to keep safe was announced as having moved elsewhere within the organisation but has since moved on quietly.

Then, we come on to our former Press Officer who has quietly left.

I don't think 1878 would let an attention seeker like you leave the club with any write up thanking you for your services; especially if they have caught you out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
Maringer
September 8, 2021, 10:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,647
Gold Stars: 189
Amazing how many young players we are selling/moving on to higher-division clubs yet who have barely made an appearance for GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
Grimsby2012
September 8, 2021, 11:31pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,464
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from pizzzza

Yeah, how much did Starbuck Costa?

Nero

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
diehardmariner
September 9, 2021, 11:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Not wanting to get into Fillipe's identity....but his point about the lack of a fee is probably right, as backed up by jamesgtfc's reference to the initial transfer listing.

It's an odd one though.  I watched Starbuck a few times for the youth and the reserves and he looked like genuinely the next big break through.  Of course it's miles off the full-time professional game but more than having the technical and physical attributes, he was taking games by the scruff of the neck.  I forget who it was against but early on in Holloway's reign there was a reserve game against a bruiser of a side, probably Mansfield!  They fielded a quite experienced and physical side yet Starbuck in an advanced wide midfield role was simply unplayable.  Opposition players were either bouncing off him or eating his dust.  

Fast forward six months and his appearances in the EFL Trophy and he looked lost, albeit at wing-back rather than further up field.   He didn't look the same player at all.   Something happened where he either lost focus, heart or more likely the training schedule was so poor he regressed.  Back end of last season we couldn't even name a full bench and were absolutely devoid of options out wide, yet he was still frozen out.  Hate to say it but it does make you wonder if it's an attitude thing?  Something that Hurst definitely doesn't tolerate.  

Idehen, who is also available for a free with a sell-on value, definitely looked like one worth progressing.  In a very shaky side at the beginning of the season I thought he looked more than capable of getting better yet he's been cast aside too.

Unlike Fillipe though I'm not convinced this will be the end of Starbuck.  Better facilities, better support and better development, not to mention regular games, will make him a better player all-round.   The move to that level has surprised me and I fully expected him to end up at Clee Town, Barton or at very best somewhere like Boston or Gainsborough.

Good luck to the lad.  Disappointed it didn't work out but fingers crossed he lands us a sell-on windfall in the future.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
Madeleymariner
September 9, 2021, 1:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
This is the Hurst style though, (not knocking it) but it seems once you get your first pro contract, and your not fully ready for the first team after a year (or less sometimes) you are gone and he would rather get higher level younsters who are more ready and can always send them back after few months if theyre not up to it.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
jamesgtfc
September 9, 2021, 1:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
I'm not knocking our academy but look at the transfer fees we've received for young players. It seems that those youngsters we pick up at 16 from other academies go on to fetch us the most money. I know we've done well from Grist who has been with us all the way through, which is a miracle really given that the funding hasn't been making its way to our youth system.

I suppose at the level we are at, it is hard to keep players in the system and give them the coaching they need so we can only carry a small number of young pros.

Also, getting them a loan for their development with the likes of Boston, Gainsborough etc is reliant on them thinking they can do a job for them.

Clifton was very lucky that Jolley came in because I think he would have been on the released list if Slade stayed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 9, 2021, 1:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I'm not knocking our academy but look at the transfer fees we've received for young players. It seems that those youngsters we pick up at 16 from other academies go on to fetch us the most money. I know we've done well from Grist who has been with us all the way through, which is a miracle really given that the funding hasn't been making its way to our youth system.

I suppose at the level we are at, it is hard to keep players in the system and give them the coaching they need so we can only carry a small number of young pros.

Also, getting them a loan for their development with the likes of Boston, Gainsborough etc is reliant on them thinking they can do a job for them.

Clifton was very lucky that Jolley came in because I think he would have been on the released list if Slade stayed.

Christ on a bike man, you've mentioned Slade and Jolley in one past. That's given me heartburn after my lunch.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 35
Caveman
September 9, 2021, 2:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
What’s the fee ?

Two quid John !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Starbuck

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.