Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 148 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 18,192 views. Print
15 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
August 30, 2021, 7:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Those booing taking the knee are beyond ironic…

The debate about Hurst will forever rumble on. To be honest, I’d come to terms with being relegated by about September last year. Holloway a woeful appointment from the start. He was never in it for the football and the fact he walked away tells you a lot.

I’m sure the only people who think Hurst took us down are the ones that didn’t like him but they often choose to ignore the fact that whether they like it or not, he’s fit we going to be naked with the Lord Sir Alan and Mcmenemy as a manager that got town promoted. In recent times there’s a raft of town fans that only remember that promotion year.

The club was in a mess, probably worse than we’ll ever really know. That takes time to readjust and the likes; promotion is unlikely this year for various reasons but you can bet your bottom dollar it won’t be as flipping woeful as last year. Not so entertaining wins or playing entertaining football but losing or shopping goals…I know which I’d take.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 143
GhostDan
August 30, 2021, 7:34am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
In fairness, Wrexham seemingly have an bottomless pot but they’ve still ended up with Phil Parkinson as Manager..  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 143
Ipswin
August 30, 2021, 7:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I know we say Fenty was a nightmare for people to deal with but hasn't Jolley left his last 3 employers after disagreements with the board?

My point exactly much lauded Jolley hasn't exactly done any better than Harsley has he?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 143
Hagrid
August 30, 2021, 8:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Ipswin

My point exactly much lauded Jolley hasn't exactly done any better than Harsley has he?

Maybe accept they’re both shite
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 143
Swansea_Mariner
August 30, 2021, 8:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Hagrid

Maybe accept they’re both shite

Exactly and hundreds of millions in the bank buys you Parkinson, I really don't know who people are expecting.

Would Harsley have done any worse than Hurst Arry, I think the question should be, would he have done any better, no I don't think he would.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 143
GrimExile
August 30, 2021, 9:59am
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Ipswin

Not you goI support Grimsby Town too, always will but I think the appointment of Hurst was a retrograde step and an opportunity to actually progress on the pitch was missed that's all.

Well if you support GTFC why won’t you go to a game? You say you don’t like Hurst and that’s fine, but to cite that as a reason not to support the team is frankly ridiculous. If you support a club then you go to games assuming you can afford it and are physically able. End of. #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 143
HertsGTFC
August 30, 2021, 10:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Well Ipswin got his way then. He’s managed to use all of his spite and negativity to turn a pretty positive thread about a good day into a debate about Hurst and if players taking the knee should be booed or applauded.

What’s the next topic? Whether we should have allowed Amond to leave? The location of a new ground whether Bogle was all that or if JSF is truly the anti-Christ.

We’re at the start of a new chapter and it’s pointless looking back on the water we drowned in last season and before as you can’t change a thing.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 143
toontown
August 30, 2021, 10:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Maringer
I heard from somebody we know within the club that Jolley was very unpleasant to the general staff at the club. Needlessly so, in fact. It's the only thing this person has ever told us about what has gone on at the club, so I presume it is accurate!

Given his extreme rant at JT for asking a question its something I can believe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 143
Jaws
August 30, 2021, 10:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from 140381
It was an odd moment having to explain to my 11 year old that if they take the knee then some people will boo. To be fair to him he did remind me that the whole of chapter eight of Das Kapital was pretty much a systematic falsification to prove a thesis which an objective examination of the facts showed was untenable. So I shrugged and bought a scotch egg, whilst everyone in the main stand cheered.

I thought it had got applauded at Macca's testimonial so was suprised to hear it booed on Saturday. Was sat in the same seat both times and seemed unanimous both times.
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 143
Withnail
August 30, 2021, 11:18am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Ipswin

Firstly I'm not that interested and secondly I have already made my position clear whilst Hurst is in charge. I certainly wouldn't drive to Grimsby and back to see a classic against Weymouth, pick up a free scarf and try a scotch egg, I might do Kings Lynn and Southend to see Pete for a pint if he is going and my lad drives.

First of all I'll defend your right to free speech tooth and nail. It'd be dull as ditch water if we all trotted out the same opinions of the management and views of the game etc.

And I think it's absolutely fair enough if your interest has waned following relegation to non league - (again) which is unforgivable - to the point you can only summon up the enthusiasm to go to a game on the proviso it's within an hour or twos drive and that you're chaffeured there and back etc...

But, that all said, here's a hypothetical question...would you really stop yourself from going to more than a couple of games away if we're steamrolling our way through teams and riding high at the top of the league, while playing champagne football? Just because you stated on here that Hurst's appointment was a retrograde step? If so, it sounds like a serious case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. If this scenario played out I'm sure most on here would respect you a lot more if you admitted you'd got it wrong, and leant your unwavering support to the club instead.

I'll be honest. I wasn't overly enthusiastic when it was first announced that Hurst was coming back. It smacked of a lack of imagination. I can't think of another club that has returned to a former manager 3 times in the last 25 years, although no doubt there is one/some.

And yes, Hurst had a horrific start to his second coming, results wise, but at the tail end of the season he had us competing and beating the likes of Bolton - playing with both passion and a game plan. He was clearly dealt a duff hand when he came in but we've been over this so many times...and he's now got rid of a lot of the dross. Hurst has my full support.

This is a new era, the toxicity of the club has been banished, we're off to a winning start, witnessed by a bumper home crowd. What's not to like?

Ok, Weymouth might not be world beaters but we can only beat what's put in front of us. Admittedly Stockport tomorrow night will be a bigger test.

I agree that some may have gone slightly overboard in their delight at beating a team of part timers but after the last 18 months aren't we entitled to?

And to belittle those who have praised the food and drink at the new fanzone and enjoyed the match experience smacks of sour grapes.

Like I said, it'd boring if we all agreed all of the time but I'm curious as to what the purpose is of sniping from afar, constantly attempting to find fault and dragging others down by constantly being a dark cloud? Maybe it's just your schtick.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 143
15 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.