8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
August 15, 2021, 6:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Maybe Hurst is waiting for donny to send him out on loan to get his confidence back. I'd have him back in a jiffy We could help with his £7K a week wages - that's only an extra 350 a week on the gate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 72
Abdul19
August 15, 2021, 6:44pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
He needs to feel loved, he'd score 70* in the National League for us.

* at least 20

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 72
aldi_01
August 15, 2021, 6:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
He’s always looked better in a good side…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 72
mariner91
August 15, 2021, 6:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
It obviously wouldn’t happen but with quick and smart players around him, he’d be a real handful in the NL. McAtee just behind a Bogle with confidence would be excellent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 72
KingstonMariner
August 15, 2021, 7:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Quoted from Donny boy
Can you lot have a whip round and have a word with your directors and entice Bogle back.

The guy is dog turd. Conference and maybe LG 2 is his ceiling level.

We have never witnessed an inept striker as this before

I’m sure you must have. Or maybe you’re very young. You’ve been bottom-feeders for most of your history.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 72
Abdul19
August 15, 2021, 7:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Yeah I mean, one of Mark Weaver's lads must've been worse  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 72
GrimRob
August 15, 2021, 9:44pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from golfer
Maybe Hurst is waiting for donny to send him out on loan to get his confidence back. I'd have him back in a jiffy We could help with his £7K a week wages - that's only an extra 350 a week on the gate

Sadly we don't play at home every week. So 700 on the gate, assuming a match every 2 weeks roughly.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 72
Maringer
August 15, 2021, 10:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
Oddly enough, I didn't rate Bogle enormously highly after our promotion from the Conference. However, that first half of the season back in the League, he was playing some fantastic stuff - much better than I thought he could play, in fact. I think the move up the leagues came too high, too soon and it was a really difficult situation to move into as Wigan were in a crap position when he signed. I don't blame him for making the move and taking the cash, but it's a case of what might have been had he stayed and learned when he was playing well in a more settled side and with the pressure off.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 72
Poojah
August 15, 2021, 11:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Maringer
Oddly enough, I didn't rate Bogle enormously highly after our promotion from the Conference. However, that first half of the season back in the League, he was playing some fantastic stuff - much better than I thought he could play, in fact.

It's worth calling this out, as history can rewrite itself in a more romantic fashion. Bogle signed in the summer of 2015, to much fanfare, started really well and then quickly went off the ball, often looking agitated and frustrated with his teammates and himself. He scored his 10th of the season away at Torquay in mid October, but would only score one more goal between then and that second half turnaround at Aldershot in April which we won 4-3 and in which he was instrumental. To put that into context, Podge scored 19 goals in that same period. Nineteen!

During that time he spent a lot of time either on the subs bench or being subbed early in games, and looked some way off the Omar Bogle we all fondly remember. He was out of form, apparently unhappy and low on confidence. It's easy to forget that throughout that period non-scoring Pat Hoban was routinely preferred over him in the starting 11.

I barely remember the home leg of the first leg of the play-offs against Braintree, other than we were shìte, they scored a penalty and I think someone did a poo on Fenty's car bonnet. The second leg is more vivid, but that header he scored from that deep, Marcus Marshall free-kick was absolutely massive. And then those two goals at Wembley - fùcking hell, I was already so píssed I immediately couldn't remember how they'd even gone in, but how they came in such quick succession was just so special, absolute carnage.

It's then easy to forget that he was left on the bench for Scott Vernon for the first few games of our first season back in League Two. It wasn't until he scored a consolation goal at Colchester on a Tuesday night that he really began to kick on. After his hat trick against Stevenage in that 5-2 win at BP I think I felt as good as I've felt about Town's prospects in the past 20 years, or 15 at least. Such a shame things went down the pan as they did.

He was incredible in those 20 or so games that season, absolutely unplayable. That's what he's capable of in my opinion, but it does seem he needs to be in the right place mentally. He seems to have lost his mojo. A return to his spiritual home might be just the ticket...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 72
Poojah
August 15, 2021, 11:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Abdul19
Yeah I mean, one of Mark Weaver's lads must've been worse  

Mildly interesting that when Donny were relegated in 98, whilst we were having the best of times, the bottom five of the basement division looked like this:

Swansea
Cardiff
Hull
Brighton
Doncaster

Genuine question, how did we fúck it up so badly from there?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Please everyone

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.