Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › All mouth and no trousers?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 212 Guests

All mouth and no trousers?

This thread currently has 23,136 views. Print
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
August 7, 2021, 12:19pm
Guest User
Quoted from jonnyboy82
I agree and i don't.

We do seem to always go into every season without the striker we need, its become something that this club does which is frustrating, yes i get that every one is trying to sign a striker but we don't seem to learn that being light in that department always costs us early on.

Would be nice to be going in the season with more firepower up top especially with the injuries, i don't want to see makeshift players doing a job so they say just to make do.

The argument will be well everyone is trying to sign the same player my argument is well if needs be as the past seasons prove we always are light up top.

we need to learn from our mistakes pay a bit more

The thing is it's not always about money,  There could be numerous reasons why we can't sign a top striker.
Reply: 40 - 199
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from aussiej
If, and its a big if, most of the players in the squad were fit and ready for the start of the season i am pretty sure most people would be happy.. eg. Taylor or LJL up front supported by two wide players from Sousa, McAtee, Wright, Grant or Scannell...
The trouble is we arn"t going to start like that and will not have had the pre season to gel the players together because of those injuries...
Why have we had so many injuries?  Poor training, weak players, players with bad history of being injured or just bad luck...   Maybe its a bit of all of that...
Are the owners responsible for this? No.  Is the manager responsible? Maybe for some of it as he signed some of the known injury hit players...
What i do know is players need support and thats down to us...  What we have got will get better with our support so lets get out there and back our team, warts and all....

A lot of good points but one is missing. We now have some very decent trainng and treatment facilities but they seem to have made bu99er all difference to the number of injuries and time out for players.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 199
Rodley Mariner
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
The title of the post is ridiculous. Don't remember any commitment to a huge budget and haven't seen anything which makes me think they're not doing as promised. Concern about lack of firepower with a fortnight until the season starts is fair but the post and title aren't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 199
Madeleymariner
August 7, 2021, 12:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Would you accept Williams, Morais or Jackson starting if we did not have others in the building?

I would have Jackson starting today so he is fit for Bromley, in case we dont get LJL/Taylor fit or a new striker in time, as starting with Adlard or Essel up front would be stupid they are not at the level needed yet to start matches; and certainly not as good as Ira yet.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 199
dapperz fun pub
August 7, 2021, 12:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,021
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from Madeleymariner

I would have Jackson starting today so he is fit for Bromley, in case we dont get LJL/Taylor fit or a new striker in time, as starting with Adlard or Essel up front would be stupid they are not at the level needed yet to start matches; and certainly not as good as Ira yet.

Spot on the two lads mentioned aren’t up to it yet maybe they will get there but for now not the required standard , without a decent number 9 mid table finish but still plenty of time to bag one like others have said
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 199
Bigdog
August 7, 2021, 2:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Pure insanity. One pre-season game makes Ira fit, one pre-season game gets Ira up to speed playing with a new squad. Ira wasn't good enough full stop. Can we forget about him as if he's some raw misjudged untapped talent. He just isn't.

If we're a striker or two short next week, Hurst will play McAtee or Grant, or both more advanced..

Let's stop with these silly Ira posts and stop being so soppy over a nice interview he did once upon a time...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 199
EvilFish
August 7, 2021, 3:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +597
Gold Stars: 52
If the players who have been ditched were hot property, they'd already be with other clubs wouldn't they?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 199
Ipswin
August 7, 2021, 3:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I'd rather the new lot spent money on players rather than the training ground, sprinklers and fan zones, they're proving to be no different to the last ownership in that respect. (I'd also rather they'd spent money on a manager too but we are stuck with him now until maybe Christmas anyway)

When / if we ever get a striker are we going to spend a few quid or will he be another desperate for a club free agent ?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 199
Madeleymariner
August 7, 2021, 3:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Bigdog

Pure insanity. One pre-season game makes Ira fit, one pre-season game gets Ira up to speed playing with a new squad. Ira wasn't good enough full stop. Can we forget about him as if he's some raw misjudged untapped talent. He just isn't.

If we're a striker or two short next week, Hurst will play McAtee or Grant, or both more advanced..

Let's stop with these silly Ira posts and stop being so soppy over a nice interview he did once upon a time...

Im not saying he is hot property its just he is way ahead of Adlard and Essel in ability etc. so stupid not to use him instead of them if we don't have fit strikers on Day1 and therefore needs to play in friendlies to get match fit. Have you seen him play against a conference side? how do you know for sure he can't hold his own at this level? I have seen Adlard and Essel play against part timers in leagues below us twice and both were out of there depth.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 199
Roast Em Bobby
August 7, 2021, 4:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Ipswin
I

When / if we ever get a striker are we going to spend a few quid or will he be another desperate for a club free agent ?

I thought I'd read that there was/is a fee involved with McAtee. If true then we've already spent money on a striker from a higher division, so slightly unfair to cast the new owners under the same umbrella as JF.

People need to calm down a bit, it is not in the slightest bit unusual that clubs are still looking for players whilst the transfer window is still open, and that loads of clubs have to wait until the final days to get their targets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 199
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › All mouth and no trousers?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.