Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › All mouth and no trousers?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 283 Guests

All mouth and no trousers?

This thread currently has 23,133 views. Print
20 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Swansea_Mariner
August 10, 2021, 9:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
I can totally see it PP.

If Fenty had spent money putting a new irrigation system in Blundell Park people would be going nuts, asking how does this help us win three points on a Saturday.

If he'd had spent money fixing up the training ground pitches, physiotherapy, resistance and cardio rooms then people would rightly question why he was wasting the clubs money on such things.

If he'd employed a kit man, massuse and new CEO and bought state of the art analysis software, there would have been endless threads on here lambasting him for doing so, after all Buckly didn't need such things.

If he'd dare to run a survey asking fans what they wanted I think he might evenhave been run out of town.

I  see you're point you've convinced me!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 199
MuddyWaters
August 10, 2021, 9:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
I started this thread because of a genuine concern that our squad is looking pretty threadbare and it now seems to have been railed into a thread about the owners.

They stated, very clearly, that the playing side is Paul’s responsibility and it was he who said that he wanted his squad in place for preseason. We seem to have three thirty something forwards injured plus Scannell plus Max Wright, that’s clearly nothing to do with the owners!
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 199
jamesgtfc
August 10, 2021, 9:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Purely hypothetical but:

£1.5m budget, no wider improvement
£1.2m budget, £300k wider improvement

I think Hurst would choose option 2 every day of the week.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 199
MuddyWaters
August 10, 2021, 9:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Purely hypothetical but:

£1.5m budget, no wider improvement
£1.2m budget, £300k wider improvement

I think Hurst would choose option 2 every day of the week.

I would think that the owners aren’t making the off field improvements to the detriment of the playing budget.
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 199
ginnywings
August 10, 2021, 10:00am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pen penfras

So you're happy that we're going into a season having spent 150k on superficial improvements yet we don't have a fit striker that's scored a senior goal? If Fenty was here with the squad like this, he'd be getting lambasted for penny pinching on here, yet because he's gone we're supposed to appreciate how brilliant things now are because the pitch can be watered quickly. Even Hurst is playing the budget card already

I've already said that I want and hope we sign a couple of experienced forward players, and that we need them in situ, sooner rather than later.

I also made a post saying that I dont believe the ground improvements are in any way taking money from the playing budget, so nice try, but the two are not linked.

PH will bring them in I'm sure. He's said he wants them and that he is looking for the right fit. I have no doubt that part of that right fit will be budget related, as all clubs have an upper limit, no matter who they are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 199
jamesgtfc
August 10, 2021, 10:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I would think that the owners aren’t making the off field improvements to the detriment of the playing budget.

Like I say, it's hypothetical but Hurst is big on off-field improvement too. He's not one to throw money about like a kid in a candy shop.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 199
IlkleyMariner
August 10, 2021, 10:54am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Think things will start to open up as Premier league and Championship squads get sorted.
Also, if Rangers get knocked out of Champions Leage tonight they might sell Moreles and buy Dembele, releasing more cash for mariners to spend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 199
Rodley Mariner
August 10, 2021, 10:55am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
Set up a business. Get excrement offices, excrement equipment and old fashioned, crappy systems that aren't as good as your competitors. Now go and throw big salaries about with the money you've saved. Then see what type of people you've managed to recruit. Finally give those people excrement training as you have cut right back on that as well and then see how well they perform and how up for staying they are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 199
ska face
August 10, 2021, 11:26am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Sorry but why is anyone pretending to be surprised that the universally loathed John Fenty got grief after nearly 20 years of abject failure at our expense, but the new board are given the benefit of the doubt for investing in long-term infrastructure and are yet to face a competitive fixture?
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 199
mariner91
August 10, 2021, 11:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,725
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from pen penfras

I said all along that it wasn't about what Fenty did that got criticised, it was because it was him that's doing it and the majority of the most critical are the ones asking for patience

That’s probably the biggest load of rubbish I’ve ever read on here. You reckon if the current board were trying to sneak a convicted criminal on to the board that everyone would be fine with it? You reckon people would forgive them for taking out £200,000 from the playing budget each season to line their own pockets? Taking money out the budget to cover the cost of their own mistakes would be swept under the carpets? I don’t have the time or sufficient power of recall to write down the litany of terrible mistakes or actions that he oversaw but suffice to say there’s already at least three very long articles on Cod Almighty chronicling them and it’s barely covered half the time he was in charge.

Fenty got an unbelievable amount of patience from the majority of the fanbase for all but the last six months of his reign of terror. And his demise was purely of his own doing. Had he not tried to get in to bed with Alex May we may well be staring down the barrel of another long stretch in non league under his inept stewardship.

If it wasn’t what Fenty did that got him criticised and only because of who he is, then please name one positive thing that he oversaw whilst in charge of the club?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 199
20 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › All mouth and no trousers?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.