Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Croatia refuse to take the knee in Euro’s
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 43 Guests

Croatia refuse to take the knee in Euro’s

This thread currently has 14,102 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
June 10, 2021, 11:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,036
Gold Stars: 358

That only provides further evidence that supporters are divided and some will show their displeasure before we have even kicked off. Hardly the best way to start important matches, is it?

Taking the knee has not made one iota of difference apart from alienating some sections of the fan base.

48% is too few to have your opinion even considered as valid and worth debating so 39%…
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 161
Marinerdan
June 10, 2021, 11:44am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
Got to say I love Croatia, its a beautiful country.

There's definitely a racist element amongst their football fans, the national team was playing behind closed doors last time we where there. However, we didn't experience any racism, even outside of the main tourist areas. The people we met were universally lovely.

I know a lot of people are only against the 'Marxist' element of BLM rather then the anti-racism element. Not sure how much you know about Croatia but there is a huge amount of 'Marxism' left over from their communist past. Their education system is free all the way up to masters level, their healthcare is free and of a very good standard and most of the major industries are still state owned (oil, transport, telecommunications, water and even a chunk of the tourism industry).

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 161
Sir Matt Tease
June 10, 2021, 11:50am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +293
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from LH
Tweet 1402922551928557572 will appear here...

Most people are fed up of the knee thing according to a minority of people.

Is that the same minority who opposed Brexit ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 161
Heisenberg
June 10, 2021, 12:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,097
Gold Stars: 95
I personally am bored of the taking the knee, but then it’s easy for me as I’m white, but deep down I have no issue with the team keeping up their stance.

I think some, including me, react to the knee with thoughts like “yes, we get it, enough”, but of course there are the racists out there who definitely are racist, and they don’t get it.

The real problem is you’ll never completely eradicate racism, you can’t reach out to 100% of the population. When some idiot says something abhorrent on Twitter to a player, the papers jump on it and state that football has a problem with racism. Personally I don’t  think football has any worse a problem with racism than society as a whole. You can’t tarnish football as being overly racist when 1 tool from 67 million people makes outdated comments.

I actually think football in the uk is ahead of most other countries, but I do admit it’s probably still not enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 161
Morris Minor
June 10, 2021, 12:37pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -606
Gold Stars: 12
We are supposed to be playing football not making political statements.
If you must take the knee do it in the dressing room and not in front of the crowd
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 161
kevikov
June 10, 2021, 12:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
I beg forgiveness if this offends, it genuinely is not meant to. My query regarding taking the knee, or aversion to it I should say. Is that kneeling before someone shows subversion, like they are your master and you must obey and do as you are told so to speak. In history slaves were made to kneel, we’re thankfully at the point where this is not an acceptable thing to make someone do. So why are we taking the knee? Is it to highlight that taking the knee was wrong in the first place? That we all now are submissive to each other? That no one group of people or race have power over another? All the above? I applaud the direct and hopefully successful movement by humans to ensure equality for all people but wonder if a different symbol would knit us all together better or if a divisive one works because it is divisive. Again apologies if I’ve offended.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 161
Bristol Mariner
June 10, 2021, 12:43pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Poojah - stick to the comedy posts.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 161
Grimsbynewhope
June 10, 2021, 12:49pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 1
Maybe we should call this thread I’m not a racist but…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 161
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 10, 2021, 12:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Oooh if UEFA kick out Croatia the broadcasters will not be happy at losing their prime match. Not that money is any consideration of course.

So if expulsion  was used a threat and Croatian players then kneel ………… would that mean they really mean it? Then you have 2 teams doing it, one wants to and one doesn’t. But in the eyes of God they are all making the same gesture?

But I am sure some compromise will be reached whereby the Croatians will squeeze by.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 161
Yoda
June 10, 2021, 1:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,188
Gold Stars: 72
It is not good when this action is being talked about more than the actual game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 161
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Croatia refuse to take the knee in Euro’s

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.