Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Croatia refuse to take the knee in Euro’s
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

Croatia refuse to take the knee in Euro’s

This thread currently has 14,105 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
June 12, 2021, 2:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,145
Gold Stars: 209
While working in the PR team at a housing company about 10 years ago I experienced just how racist the Daily Mail are.

When given all the facts to a story they were writing, they dismissed pretty much all of them and made it a discussion about Muslims who had nothing to do with any of it.

I didn’t read it before anyway and I certainly haven’t read it since. I’ve had first-hand experience of what that newspaper is prepared to do to intimidate people and peddle a toxic mixture of racism and xenophobia.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 120 - 161
lew chaterleys lover
June 12, 2021, 2:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from rancido

You left yourself wide open there, LCL! The Daily Mail seems to be the most hated newspaper on this site but I read it and don't care what other people on here think. I agree, I read the article and agree with John Humphreys' views on the subject.

It was quite deliberate I can assure you!

Those like Stadium are so fond of giving us articles to support their view, which, obviously is usually from sources that support their view. I have no problem with that, but thought it best to even it up somewhat by quoting a piece from a very respected journalist in John Humphrys who has made life difficult for politicians of all persuasions over the years. Of course, we cannot count that view which represents the views of an enormous number of people because it was published in ...the Daily Mail.
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 161
Grimsbynewhope
June 12, 2021, 2:29pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 1
You’ve just proved my point you don’t want the truth, you just want someone who confirms your views. Didn’t donald trump’s team call them alternate truths.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 161
aldi_01
June 12, 2021, 2:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The urine poor journalism and outright racism isn’t the only reason to not read the Daily Fail…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 161
DB
June 12, 2021, 2:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
The problem today is that it is a very rare article in the press that tells the truth and only the truth. Similarly, tv news only shows you the bits they want you to see and not the full picture of events.

We have to decipher what is truth and what is manipulated news and what to believe.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 161
lew chaterleys lover
June 12, 2021, 3:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Grimsbynewhope
You’ve just proved my point you don’t want the truth, you just want someone who confirms your views. Didn’t donald trump’s team call them alternate truths.

I think you are overthinking it. I simply put a contrary view to Stadiums, for a sense of balance.

Of course I agree with the piece by John Humphreys, just as Stadium and some on here agree with his version.

It is up to you to decide which one you agree with, but in a situation like this, as with so many things, it is subjective. There isn't a right or wrong answer which is why we and people all over the country are debating it.
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 161
Grimsbynewhope
June 12, 2021, 3:10pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 1
DB I totally agree, political correctness has also made a negative impact, but I still think it’s wrong to boo a team then expect them to give their all. Racism isn’t exclusively a white problem, the law should be even handed whatever your race or colour bit it isn’t and that inflames the issue
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 161
GYinScuntland
June 12, 2021, 4:21pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from Grimsbynewhope
Personally I tend to avoid any left or right wing newspapers. People who read either or take their news from social media generally have made their mind up before reading, they just want their views confirmed.

Read everything, watch everything, trawl through social media.
Do it all with an open mind and then make your own mind up.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 161
Stadium
June 12, 2021, 4:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19

I was expecting this kind of hackneyed response which is partly why I put the Daily Mail.

Where did you think Stadium got his oh so neutral take on the matter?! I was evening it up.

Strange comment but not unexpected.
The full article was in The Independent.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/england-take-knee-politicans-parody-b1861723.html

Please feel free to point out items within it you disagree with.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 161
lew chaterleys lover
June 12, 2021, 5:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

Strange comment but not unexpected.
The full article was in The Independent.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/england-take-knee-politicans-parody-b1861723.html

Please feel free to point out items within it you disagree with.

It is not a strange comment at all. You posted an article that you tagged a "fair summary." I suspected it was from a publication that supported your view. You now say it was gleaned from the laughably named Independent, which is fair enough as they support your viewpoint. If I was you I would do the same.

I don't agree with it so posted a marker to a different summary, one which I do agree with. Neither of us is right or wrong and we will obviously disagree with our respective pieces, but it is important both summaries are pointed out in the balance of fairness.
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 161
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Croatia refuse to take the knee in Euro’s

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.