IlkleyMariner
June 1, 2021, 7:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Why not just sit back and enjoy it.
Sometimes posters on this site tend to over analyse things.

Go with the journey. Enjoy the ride.
Mr Southgate is paid a lot of money to get it right.

All I want is entertaining success. After watching the Mariners for over 60 years, I think I am due some fun!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 42
LH
June 1, 2021, 7:55pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,566
Gold Stars: 174
TAA had to go as a bit of a wildcard. He doesn’t have to play right back and would probably be as good as a wide midfielder or even winger. He’s been in good form since his dropping. Surprised that Saka remains over JWP.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 42
HertsGTFC
June 2, 2021, 7:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Think Lingard is unlucky based upon club form but like Southgate said he only got back into the frame due to injuries to others.

I still think our biggest issue is CB and defending in general, all of the defenders selected are really good players but never really seem to be on the same page as a unit.

What I would say though there’s bags of talent in the squad and they all seem keen to be involved so if the best players aren’t burnt out then we should do well but I suspect we’ll be plucky QF/SF ists again.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 42
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 2, 2021, 1:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Think Lingard is unlucky based upon club form but like Southgate said he only got back into the frame due to injuries to others.

I still think our biggest issue is CB and defending in general, all of the defenders selected are really good players but never really seem to be on the same page as a unit.

What I would say though there’s bags of talent in the squad and they all seem keen to be involved so if the best players aren’t burnt out then we should do well but I suspect we’ll be plucky QF/SF ists again.

All the defenders are error prone and injected with the Southgate keepball serum regardless of the danger to the team. This does not make them bad players per se but it puts a big question mark on whether they could ever get a clean sheet against a top team and puts  pressure on the strikers to get goals from open play which has not been our forte.

So if we go a goal down where is our touch line strategist suddenly going to find an answer when the opposition just shuts down the midfield and goes tight on the England strikers with a spare man at the back? This is the tactic sides used against England last time. This competition looks stronger and there’s no sign the manager has found an answer.

KO comps are about making the right hard headed decision at the right time. Talent will only get you so far.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 42
HertsGTFC
June 2, 2021, 2:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228

All the defenders are error prone and injected with the Southgate keepball serum regardless of the danger to the team. This does not make them bad players per se but it puts a big question mark on whether they could ever get a clean sheet against a top team and puts  pressure on the strikers to get goals from open play which has not been our forte.

So if we go a goal down where is our touch line strategist suddenly going to find an answer when the opposition just shuts down the midfield and goes tight on the England strikers with a spare man at the back? This is the tactic sides used against England last time. This competition looks stronger and there’s no sign the manager has found an answer.

KO comps are about making the right hard headed decision at the right time. Talent will only get you so far.

I seem to recall that you’ve always had a problem with Southgate Ron.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
Mariner93er
June 2, 2021, 2:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
In all honesty, I can’t see Southgate leading us to any kind of success. The World Cup semi final looks good, but break it down and we got an easy run and even then struggled in some games. We’ve arguably got one of the strongest attacking squads in years, but I’m not confident the likes of foden, mount, sterling etc will flourish under him.

I hope I’m wrong, because this euros really is winnable with the squad we have!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 2, 2021, 3:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I seem to recall that you’ve always had a problem with Southgate Ron.

You have a good memory Herts!😀

I think ha may be a decent coach but not a manager. He fit the bill just at the time when Spain had been passing everyone into oblivion. But now something else is needed to win tournament games and I just have severe doubts that he has it. But we shall see, I’ll be cheering as loud as anyone if he proves me wrong! 😀

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
Gaffer58
June 2, 2021, 8:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Mariner_09
We'll end up going out in the last 16 to a Fernandes pen.

That’ll be after he’s dived ( oops sorry, ) been hacked from behind. If England play Portugal the at least 2 ambulances will be required for Fernandez and Grealish, both spend more time on the floor then on their feet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 42
diehardmariner
June 3, 2021, 1:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Mariner93er
In all honesty, I can’t see Southgate leading us to any kind of success. The World Cup semi final looks good, but break it down and we got an easy run and even then struggled in some games. We’ve arguably got one of the strongest attacking squads in years, but I’m not confident the likes of foden, mount, sterling etc will flourish under him.

I hope I’m wrong, because this euros really is winnable with the squad we have!

We may have had an easy run and arguably struggled in some games, but it was also a far lesser squad than this one.

In 2018 we had quite a weak and average squad so Southgate over achieved on that front.  In the 3 years since we've had an absolute glut of talent emerge that rightly puts us as one of the favourites.  I don't think Southgate can really be judged on 2018 either way, it was just an outcome most of us didn't expect.  This time around the expectations are much, much higher and he'll be judged on any failures.

Much is made of Southgate's negative approach and whilst I would like to see him unleash the shackles a bit, the one area we're still weak in is defence.  If we went all-out, the better sides would expose our weakness with ease.   I also think that in a tournament situation against the better sides, his style will better suit our pacy attackers on the counter.  It's against the so called lesser sides that I think he'll need to go for it a bit more.   For this reason alone I'm quite surprised he hasn't taken Ward-Prowse.  For games when teams will just park the bus, his ability from set-pieces could be crucial.   If Alexander-Arnold does have to withdraw through injury, I'd be disappointed if anyone else but Ward-Prowse who replaces him.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 3, 2021, 6:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
I can't see England ever winning a tournament. There is something that happens to an English player when he pulls on an England shirt that turns him from a decent player to an average one.

I don't know if it's fear or pressure or that England don't pay their wages so they're not that bothered. I just don't know.

It doesn't help that the moment we win a game in any tournament the media start screaming 'it's coming home' and the country looks like a Loyalist estate in Belfast.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England Squad

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.