5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Abdul19
June 1, 2021, 7:42am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
They say you should play your best XI, so I look forward to our team of full backs and attacking midfielders/strikers winning the thing!

(Aaron Ramsdale? Christ)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 42
Rick12
June 1, 2021, 7:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Abdul19
They say you should play your best XI, so I look forward to our team of full backs and attacking midfielders/strikers winning the thing!

(Aaron Ramsdale? Christ)
My money is on France though. Good strength in depth and in Mbappe arguably the tournaments best player.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 1, 2021, 11:14am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Not too much wrong with the squad, it’s the bloke who picked it we need to worry about.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 42
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 1, 2021, 11:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,907
Gold Stars: 180
Mason Greenwood drops out, would he have made it anyway?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
Poojah
June 1, 2021, 12:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
I think it’s easy to take a rather insular view of your own national team side when it comes to overemphasising both its strengths and weaknesses. There are other top teams who are undeniably better than us in some areas, and weaker in others. There are no perfect teams at this Euro’s.

I think it’s certainly reasonable to suggest that we are capable of putting out the best front three at this competition (assuming we play a front three). How many times have we been able to say that in the past? Any of Sterling, Rashford, Sancho or Foden either side of Kane looks pretty exciting to me.

I can’t think of many other teams more adept than us at full-back either - particularly right back. The fact we’re even debating whether recent Champions League and Premier League winner Trent Alexander-Arnold even makes the squad is testament to that. We’re going to be terrifying on the counter.

What about the rest of it? In goal I actually think that Henderson is a far superior keeper to Pickford, and I don’t think that’s just my GTFC bias clouding my judgement there. Still, I think Pickford will be the number one choice as he has tournament experience and Henderson still isn’t technically first choice at his club, so I can understand the thinking. For me, Pickford’s competent enough if he can steer clear of making silly errors.

I’d apply the same comments to the likes of Maguire and Stones at centre-half. Neither of them will ever be remembered as all time greats (unless we actually win the thing) but it shouldn’t be forgotten that one won the Premier League last season and the other finished second. There are better defenders at the tournament, no doubt but I also think they’re both a lot better than they generally get credit for.

Midfield is interesting, as it’s clearly an area we came unstuck in against Croatia in the 2018 WC semi-final. We didn’t have an answer to world class players like Rakitic and Modric and it showed. A lot for me rests on whether Henderson is fully fit; perhaps not the most exciting player in the world but he was a lynchpin in a brilliant Liverpool side that won the Champions League and Premier League in recent seasons - their form suffered massively this season whenever he wasn’t in the team (check out the PPG differences).

Without Henderson we’re lacking experienced options, particularly in that holding role. Assuming he makes it, adding in the likes of Mason Mount (who just won the Champions League) and Declan Rice doesn’t seem so shabby, whilst the likes of Foden and Grealish could both feature in attacking roles to add a bit of spark. We might be lacking someone of Kante or De Bryne’s ilk, but it looks like that will apply to everyone else but France, so that’s not necessarily anything to cry about.

It’s a dangerous thing to say, but I honestly think this is the best England squad going into a major tournament for some considerable time, possibly in my lifetime. I actually think we’ll peak in time for next year’s tainted World Cup in Qatar, but I think we should be considered as realistic contenders alongside the likes of France, Belgium and potentially Germany as a dark horse (never write of ze Germans).

The group stage will be crucial. Winning it means a route to the final with only one game away from Wembley, which still has an outside chance of being at capacity for some of those games. However, it also likely means facing one of France, Germany or Portugal in the second round. History shows we simply don’t beat top sides in knockout games at major tournaments - the only one I could even argue in my lifetime is Spain at Euro 96, and we were incredibly fortuitous to win that.

That’s the nut we have to crack. We are capable of beating anyone. Do we have the mentality to do so, however? I think that’s the big question.

We’ll find out soon enough...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
Hagrid
June 1, 2021, 12:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
France for me, their depth particularly up top is frightening
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 42
Rick12
June 1, 2021, 1:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Poojah

world class players like Modric .

For me the worlds best midfielder. Beautiful to watch when you see him  play for Real Madrid. Technique in excellence personified.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
BrMarin
June 1, 2021, 1:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +95
Gold Stars: 8
Attack and full-backs are good but if anything happens to Kane we're screwed. Midfield is OK if Rice and Henderson are fit. Central defence doesn't look too strong, John Stones is guaranteed to drop a clanger a some point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 1, 2021, 1:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
As long as we score 5 in the first 30 minutes we will be OK. Any fewer and the opposition will just shut down the midfield and pressure the likes of Stone into errors. Slight exaggeration? Maybe.. We might get away with  it in the group but in the KO stages we have always looked one dimensional, vulnerable to runners through midfield and pretty clueless if the opposition has a coach with an IQ in double figures..

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 42
Mariner_09
June 1, 2021, 2:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
We'll end up going out in the last 16 to a Fernandes pen.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England Squad

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.