3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
May 25, 2021, 11:37pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
I was having a perusal on Twitter this evening and noticed that Felipe Morais has got his EUFA A Coaching Badge. If Hurst doesn't want him as a player, could he be useful as a coach? Let's face it, he couldn't be any worse than Ben Davies. Maybe as Morais is still contracted, he could be a player coach so he could be used as backup for the first team, as Davies is.

Our very own John McDermott passed his Pro licence back in 2003, but it only lasts 2 years. Would be interesting to know if he still has it.

But just to prove a point that having the Pro licence doesn't necessarily mean it makes you any good........two words.....

Michael Jolley
Logged Offline
Private Message
gtfc_akpa_akpro
May 26, 2021, 12:44am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / -3
Approval: +104
Gold Stars: 9
What sort of a statement is that about Ben Davies?

“he couldn’t be any worse than Ben” - what basis is this on? What evidence have been you got? Are you at the training ground everyday. I don’t think there are many that can actually comment on his coaching ability because we are not exposed to it.

With regards to Michael Jolley - to get that qualification with no previous professional playing experience is extremely rare and a very high achievement. The FA has become very elitist towards their qualifications and requirements with regards to experience as to who can get them. Qualifications admittedly don’t necessarily mean you are any good in the context of football management because the role is multi faceted. What might work in league 2 doesn’t necessarily mean it sound work in other leagues and vice versa. I thought he did a half decent job in the circumstances and perhaps given some of the tools that the current regime are getting with the new owners he perhaps could have achieved some success. That however is something we will not find out.

i would really like to know biccys favourite biscuit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
aldi_01
May 26, 2021, 5:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Wasn’t there a journalist who completed that badges and wrote a piece or did some interviews saying that even with badges, it’s still a closed shop? Very few that do them from the non football fraternity secure decent jobs within the game...or so it seems.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
Tommy
May 26, 2021, 8:42am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
If Hurst doesn't want him as a player, could he be useful as a coach? Let's face it, he couldn't be any worse than Ben Davies. Maybe as Morais is still contracted, he could be a player coach so he could be used as backup for the first team, as Davies is.

What a ridiculous comment.

How on earth do you know how good or bad a coach Ben Davies is.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
jamesgtfc
May 26, 2021, 9:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
The fact Paul Hurst has kept Ben Davies involved with the first team and spoken highly of him suggests to me that there is nothing wrong with Ben Davies.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
May 26, 2021, 9:40am

Brandy Drinker
You say that, but show me one thing that the team who finished at the bottom of the league improved on from his coaching? Obviously his influence on the players is zero and his coaching ability is negligible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
Fishy clapper
May 26, 2021, 9:43am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +78
Gold Stars: 14
flipping eejit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
Son of Cod
May 26, 2021, 9:48am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
You say that, but show me one thing that the team who finished at the bottom of the league improved on from his coaching? Obviously his influence on the players is zero and his coaching ability is negligible.

Sorry, but this is a terrible take. I guess he was sat around twiddling this thumbs all week as our defence improved immeasurably during the second half of the season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
May 26, 2021, 9:49am

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Fishy clapper
flipping eejit

I wouldn't go so far as saying that about him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
Gainsbro_Mariner
May 26, 2021, 9:55am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 14

Davies is or was potentially green but again pointed out to you above by another poster, how can you pass judgement on Ben Davies if you aren't actively involved in a session? Instead of criticising him you may want to lay the blame at the feet of Holloway who decided to piece together a bloated squad of players incapable players then deciding not to replace Limbrick meaning he decided to run training sessions with nearly 40 players which I would imagine would rely heavily on Davies and Sam Russell..... and probably Dave Moore. Either way it's not a golden position to be in at a club like ours under a board that was and a manager who ran his ego before his brain

Not only was this guy entering his first season as a coach he also had the burden of trying to steady the ship over the Christmas period when Holloway skipped off with his tail between his legs, if there was any shortcomings about his ability as a coach or his rapport with the players then I'm pretty sure Hurst is the type of person to show him the door. So if there is any truth to what you are saying I expect he will be shortly leaving, but seen as Hurst has spoke fondly of him I strongly doubt that.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Coaching staff needed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.