5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
wuffing
May 5, 2021, 8:55pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +841
Gold Stars: 38
[quote=5570]So the illegitimate Fenty was paid for the 200K he took off the trust

Relax. Karma always has its way..... šŸ˜‰

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 40
lew chaterleys lover
May 5, 2021, 9:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Heisenberg
I only caught about 15 minutes due to poor signal on my phone, and I liked what they were saying, but did they really say the new stadium was on the back burner? I canā€™t deny it, Iā€™m disappointed in that.

They said they would consider all options -  different sites on the docks, Freeman Street or remaining at Blundell Park.

They would take their time to decide, but at least they are not desperate for a new stadium to make money from the "enabling developments" etc. which I think is good news.

Not enough consideration has been given to revamping BP in my view and they seemed quite sentimental about the great times they have seen there in the past, as indeed am I.

The better news is that Pettit is a property developer so we have the ideal man to explore all options.

Private Message
Reply: 31 - 40
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
May 5, 2021, 9:14pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
They would take their time to decide, but at least they are not desperate for a new stadium to make money from the "enabling developments" etc. which I think is good news.

It felt to me that Shutes had a new stadium as a top priority as it always seemed that he wanted a piece of the town regeneration and wanted to jump on the bandwagon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 40
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 5, 2021, 9:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Sounded very much as though they wanted to take things one step at a time and do the important things first to help performance on the field. new pitch already underway at Cheapside, BP pitch to be relaid and I would guess facilities for players in both places to be made significantly more attractive to assist Hurst when it comes to bringing in new faces.

As far as other aspects are concerned, it was sensibly left open for today for suggestions during consultations with fans.

The proof of  the pudding etc.... but overall I was quite happy with what was said.

ā€œIf all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.ā€
ā€• John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 40
toontown
May 5, 2021, 9:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Poojah
They are, quite rightly, prioritising the things they can affect right now. As much as we all want a shiny new stadium, the prospect of such a thing wonā€™t help us next season.

When you set priorities you canā€™t just focus on the commercial benefits - you have to consider the speed and ease at which they can be implemented. A new stadium is probably a top 3 long-term priority, but itā€™s also the single most difficult and expensive thing to deliver.

Improved training pitches might only offer a marginal benefit, but itā€™s a benefit that is achievable in the here and now.

Pragmatism isnā€™t always exciting, but itā€™s something the club has been grossly deficient in for many years. How many different sets of shiny, 3D renders of various stadium designs have spanned the Fenty era? I make it at least four. How many different proposed locations? Lots. I still donā€™t see a new stadium, and all the while our facilities have been rusting and crumbling.

They have this right in my opinion.  

I think they actually mentioned improved training facilities as offering more benefit than a new ground as the management and players spend so much more time there. I suppose that's right in terms of direct impact on on pitch performance for the cost.

Long term and structurally though a new ground would bring in more commercial opportunities, bigger capacity, be more attractive to supporters and players and enhance the clubs and towns status, but at a far greater cost. That's the difficult part. But i have infinitely more faith in them than failurenty, they were very impressive.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 40
Limerick Mariner
May 5, 2021, 10:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,720
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from toontown

I think they actually mentioned improved training facilities as offering more benefit than a new ground as the management and players spend so much more time there. I suppose that's right in terms of direct impact on on pitch performance for the cost.

Long term and structurally though a new ground would bring in more commercial opportunities, bigger capacity, be more attractive to supporters and players and enhance the clubs and towns status, but at a far greater cost. That's the difficult part. But i have infinitely more faith in them than failurenty, they were very impressive.  

Exactly - very successful people in their own businesses, but crucially who know how to build highly effective teams of people to deliver projects. They will deliver a new stadium - I suspect behind the scenes it is a big medium term priority but we've had so many false starts they are not going to start making promises on the first day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 40
Heisenberg
May 5, 2021, 10:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Sounded very much as though they wanted to take things one step at a time and do the important things first to help performance on the field. new pitch already underway at Cheapside, BP pitch to be relaid and I would guess facilities for players in both places to be made significantly more attractive to assist Hurst when it comes to bringing in new faces.

As far as other aspects are concerned, it was sensibly left open for today for suggestions during consultations with fans.

The proof of  the pudding etc.... but overall I was quite happy with what was said.

Well performances and getting back in the league would be my priorities too, now even more so, so Iā€™m not complaining too much about the lack of a stadium. Yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 40
acko338
May 5, 2021, 10:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
I heard that they wanted Hurst to have better training conditions, a better pitch at home, and Hurst to have a proper back room team behind him going forward.

They also valued Hurst for finding a proper back bone to the team from Jan onwards. Good budget for players who will be loyal and hard working, with personal references to.players like Ford and Waters as examples.

A back bone to me firstly means a good quality back 5, making for a better goals against for next season.

The creative side is not so easy, good midfielders and strikers will always be hard to attract across the cold North East.

Targets will know that the new era has begun, and will probably overrate their sign on fees and contract demands, even in the National League.

Names will flow and Hurst will, as usual, say nothing until contracts are in place.

The hairs on my neck await !!!

UTM for the coming season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 40
KingstonMariner
May 5, 2021, 10:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Iā€™d encourage anyone who hasnā€™t heard it so far to listen to the whole programme.

They said everything I would have wanted them to say, and in the way that I would have wanted them to say it. Obviously the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, but (to mix metaphors) I want to be on the train for this journey*.

* reference to Forza Ivanoā€™s musical post on another thread.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 40
Kris2
May 5, 2021, 10:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
I think they said a lot of the right things and have their priorities in areas where the club was failing so happy with that. A new stadium would be nice but it's a matter of timing, not much point spending money on a new stadium to play to mostly empty stands and 3 away fans from Bognor Regis. The staff, the players, the facilities and changing the culture of the club are all important areas to improve our fortunes on the pitch.

More than anything I hope for a rebuilding of GTFC into a club the fans can be proud of and a boardroom culture of forward-thinking and transparency, no more saying one thing but doing another or bullying fans and the media for legitimate criticism.  
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 6pm Radio Humberside Sport

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.