MuddyWaters
April 28, 2021, 3:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't. Our average attendance doesn't put us in that league, it puts us in league 2. Football has changed a lot in the last 20 years and past performance is not relevant to the fact that lots of clubs who had more potential fans have managed to attract those fans yet we couldn't even when we were 'good'.

Football has changed a lot in 20 years - sadly Grimsby Town didn't.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
SomeSanity
April 28, 2021, 3:47pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from diehardmariner

I don't want Stockwood to come up with these ideas.  I want him to harvest a culture where people within the club feel they can come up with these ideas.

Your point is absolutely right though.  FGR, as much of a pantomime villain as they and Vince are, have got a strong business model.  A direction that they all work towards.  We've had an idiot dictating that things are done on his terms and his terms only, based not on his knowledge of the product or market but because he struck gold with his fish business 20 years previously.

You cannae teach creativity. But what you can do is bring in people with relevant skills and/or knowledge. It's not difficult I've been saying it for years. It's more than ideas, its the ability to see those through and put them into action.

FGR promote sustainable football, (although the money they spend in relation to their fanbase is anything but sustainable). Although what they practice isn't what they preach, what they do off the field is something clubs up and down the lower divisions should be undertaking.  The question is what is our proposition, the answer to that is simple. As a club, we should be playing on our fishing heritage more. A small passionate community who do an awful lot with very little. This is where we position ourselves, target brands who resonate with our club principles, the challengers so to speak.

The clubs branding should reflect this, I'm not talking our crest, that's sacred but our identity
We are Mariners, experts in our trade, we don't have a lot but fu*k me we work hard for it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
Garth
April 28, 2021, 4:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Well after the disappointment of last night, I for one will be looking forward to next season non league new start, new owners, new player additions and a proven managerial team, bring it on!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
DB
April 28, 2021, 4:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from pen penfras

My thoughts are that like a lot of small northern towns, we haven't had a mega rich owner to gift us money and facilities that would allow us to compete with the sugar daddies and influx of primarily southern clubs with growing support bases as local football has become more popular in the south. That combined with the big clubs being able to take away any player with a modicum of talent for peanuts has led to our stature in the footballing world falling and being unable to punch above our weight anymore.

Small town clubs :-
Lincoln
Scunny
Harrogate
Barrow
Mansfield
Morecombe
Accrington
Donny
Fleetwood
Rochdale
Rotherham

All in the north

Wycombe
Gillingham
Burton
Cheltenham
Cambridge
Newport
Exeter
Crawley
Stevenage

All in the rich south, but poor.

The one thing about all these small town clubs is that they have made some form of investment in the last 17 years without mega rich owners. They will all be in the EFL next year.

They are there because of investment in the stadiums, pitch, training facilities and players. One club has failed this sort of investment over the last 17 years and the chickens came home to roost, the last chance saloon shut its doors and the fat lady sang breaking the last thread.

Grimsby Town Football Club is where it is because of the above reasons and being a small town is not one of them. In times of need, the club has been failed by one person, Fenty.

Open your eyes, take of those rose (Fenty) coloured specs.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
KingstonMariner
April 28, 2021, 7:06pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from SomeSanity

You cannae teach creativity. But what you can do is bring in people with relevant skills and/or knowledge. It's not difficult I've been saying it for years. It's more than ideas, its the ability to see those through and put them into action.

FGR promote sustainable football, (although the money they spend in relation to their fanbase is anything but sustainable). Although what they practice isn't what they preach, what they do off the field is something clubs up and down the lower divisions should be undertaking.  The question is what is our proposition, the answer to that is simple. As a club, we should be playing on our fishing heritage more. A small passionate community who do an awful lot with very little. This is where we position ourselves, target brands who resonate with our club principles, the challengers so to speak.

The clubs branding should reflect this, I'm not talking our crest, that's sacred but our identity
We are Mariners, experts in our trade, we don't have a lot but fu*k me we work hard for it.

You can develop the creative mindset though.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
aldi_01
April 28, 2021, 7:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The one thing that’s been consistently lacking, aside from investment, honesty, vision and ambition is creativity.

We’ve had some great ideas in the last twenty years but when yeh came to shove they were one offs, often done or created by someone else. Then, when a little investment and time was needed the club didn’t want to or looked for a cheaper, less appropriate alternative.

You only have to look at the club shop website or the online ticketing stuff. It’s dilapidated and antiquated.

Not a single soul on our board in the last 15 years at least has had a forward thinking idea or proposition, the ones that have have copulated off Becauee it’s not worth their time when everything gets shot down or poo pooed Becauee poor old John doesn’t like it.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
Bigdog
April 29, 2021, 8:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Poojah

If we're using attendances as the primary determinant, the bottom half of League One is about par for the club based on it's infrastructure today. Attendances in recent years have been typically top 8 in League Two, but that's with a consistently bottom 8 side, and we still get higher gates than a number of League One clubs.

If we were to ever find ourselves at that level again (and it feels a million miles away right now), by the time you've accounted for the better quality of football and bigger away followings our attendances would absolutely not look out of place at that level. In the long-term there's no reason we couldn't aspire to achieve similar to what Rotherham have in recent years, flitting between the top of League One and the bottom of the Championship in a modest but modern stadium.

Right now it's all about healing our wounds and beginning to slowly rebuild from the bottom up, but we shouldn't underestimate the club's long-term potential. That hasn't disappeared.

I agree with every single word you say apart from one Poojah. Why slowly? Why not urgently or as quickly as possible?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
aldi_01
April 29, 2021, 8:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Bigdog

I agree with every single word you say apart from one Poojah. Why slowly? Why not urgently or as quickly as possible?

I read the slowly as a kind of, not throw everything at everyone all at once. Address key issues swiftly and try and solve them and then work quietly and efficiently on the others...I may be wrong.

A way in which we don’t overwhelm ourselves I guess...like I say though, I could be wrong though, I’m sure Poojah will respond...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
Bigdog
April 29, 2021, 8:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from aldi_01

I read the slowly as a kind of, not throw everything at everyone all at once. Address key issues swiftly and try and solve them and then work quietly and efficiently on the others...I may be wrong.

A way in which we don’t overwhelm ourselves I guess...like I say though, I could be wrong though, I’m sure Poojah will respond...

My biggest fear about the takeover is if there is lack of new investment to go with it.  New funding will be just as important as new ideas. Ideas can only get you so far without funding, and better funding enables reduced timeframes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
SomeSanity
April 29, 2021, 8:54am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from KingstonMariner

You can develop the creative mindset though.

That's a fair point, but.. We are all creatures of habit, and when folk have done things in the same way day-in-day-out for nye on two decades, that habit is difficult to break. We have
some very talented fans at the Football Club who have the skills and the know-how to really push this club to a new level off the pitch..... Use 'em.

The club mentality of using multiple freelancers and farming stuff out makes everything disjointed. It's a total mess.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Accepting failure

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.