Poojah
April 28, 2021, 1:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from pen penfras

That number of league 1 clubs was 5 when covid struck. With 2 NL clubs having more than us. There were 3 L2 clubs with well over 7500, a number we haven't bettered since 1983/84. Our support would go up a bit with more success and more away fans, but it's not going to add 2000 onto the gate, which would have put us 15th in league 1. In 97/98 we averaged 5271 supporters in what was a very successful season with all of the things that you're claiming would put us higher up the standings if we had them.

It's all well and good dreaming that we can bring numbers through the gate, but we're a club in an isolated area with low income jobs and a history of success not driving attendances.

I think quite easily the better standard of football that would ensue were we to find ourselves in League One, and substantially larger away followings would add around 1,000 to our average gate. We averaged 5,259 in League Two in 2016/17 which after the initial excitement of being back in the league was a fairly poor season - 5,500 to 6,000 is eminently achievable in League One.

Still, this is a purely hypothetical argument for now as the only league we'll be playing in next season is the National League.  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 40
Northbank Mariner
April 28, 2021, 1:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from pen penfras

My thoughts are that like a lot of small northern towns, we haven't had a mega rich owner to gift us money and facilities that would allow us to compete with the sugar daddies and influx of primarily southern clubs with growing support bases as local football has become more popular in the south. That combined with the big clubs being able to take away any player with a modicum of talent for peanuts has led to our stature in the footballing world falling and being unable to punch above our weight anymore.

Bollox, in 20 years we've been left behind as clubs around us flourished, it lays firmly at the door mat of one man's pure incompetence at running a football club successfully.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 40
grimps
April 28, 2021, 1:12pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't. Our average attendance doesn't put us in that league, it puts us in league 2. Football has changed a lot in the last 20 years and past performance is not relevant to the fact that lots of clubs who had more potential fans have managed to attract those fans yet we couldn't even when we were 'good'.

If you look at attendances from the 80s and early 90s they was just as bad or worse at clubs similar  for even a lot bigger than us now , Bolton , Bradford , Huddersfield and Hull ect got crowds as bad or even worse then ours .
They got new grounds showed ambition and pushed on , we accepted failure .
Our crowds now are league two because we’ve been at the bottom of it or non league for 12 years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 40
SomeSanity
April 28, 2021, 1:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from pen penfras

My thoughts are that like a lot of small northern towns, we haven't had a mega rich owner to gift us money and facilities that would allow us to compete with the sugar daddies and influx of primarily southern clubs with growing support bases as local football has become more popular in the south. That combined with the big clubs being able to take away any player with a modicum of talent for peanuts has led to our stature in the footballing world falling and being unable to punch above our weight anymore.

Sorry but I don't buy that. Look at FGR, 20 years ago they were nobody. Yes, their Ecotricity guy has come in, but they have something GTFC hasn't had in the last two decades.

A real brand proposition. Look at the big names the club counts amongst its sponsors. They haven't done that by idly watching the clouds go by the office window. They brought in people who knew what they were doing. Got the branding and proposition right off the pitch and gained positive media attention from it.

In recent years the only positive media coverage the club has had is Op Pro, a fan initiate and the shirt amnesty which I'm sure JS would have come up with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 40
Zmariner
April 28, 2021, 2:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't. Our average attendance doesn't put us in that league, it puts us in league 2. Football has changed a lot in the last 20 years and past performance is not relevant to the fact that lots of clubs who had more potential fans have managed to attract those fans yet we couldn't even when we were 'good'.

Although, it must be noted that as a match day experience Blundell park is big dump as you are ever going to find. We simply have not moved with the times
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 40
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 28, 2021, 2:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
One of the challenges with calling out the things that are wrong is that the Principle Funder ran the club as a closed shop and we, the fans, had no sight of many things that were happening. The first we knew of something was when it was done and dusted. Often accompanied by the incoherent ramblings of el presidente on the club website blaming anybody but himself for why actions had to be taken or were not taken.

It will not be hard for 1878 to be more open.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 40
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 28, 2021, 2:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from Zmariner

Although, it must be noted that as a match day experience Blundell park is big dump as you are ever going to find. We simply have not moved with the times

I genuinely find BP depressing and embarrassing. I often think 'what must visiting fans think of this sh*thole?'

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 40
TownSNAFU5
April 28, 2021, 2:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Even worse is that last time we were in NL (how I hate that fact) some away fans thought that, by comparison with their own grounds, Blundell Park was like Wembley to them.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 40
Kris2
April 28, 2021, 3:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Youngy
You say we accept failure but I would also argue that during our time in the Championship, we didn't actually appreciate how good we had it? How embarrassing were the 'Carr Out' protests after we got relegated from the Championship with hindsight?

Unfortunately a vocal minority are more interested in who they can get removed from the club than about enjoying success. There were plenty of people complaining and asking for Buckley's head just a couple of seasons out from a double Wembley promotion season. We'd kill to be getting promoted from League One to the Championship these days and be lasting like 5 seasons in the Championship. Even when things are good the moaning will be about something.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 40
diehardmariner
April 28, 2021, 3:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from SomeSanity

In recent years the only positive media coverage the club has had is Op Pro, a fan initiate and the shirt amnesty which I'm sure JS would have come up with.

I don't want Stockwood to come up with these ideas.  I want him to harvest a culture where people within the club feel they can come up with these ideas.

Your point is absolutely right though.  FGR, as much of a pantomime villain as they and Vince are, have got a strong business model.  A direction that they all work towards.  We've had an idiot dictating that things are done on his terms and his terms only, based not on his knowledge of the product or market but because he struck gold with his fish business 20 years previously.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Accepting failure

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.