Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Direction?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 204 Guests

New Direction?

This thread currently has 12,150 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
April 13, 2021, 8:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from pen penfras

My comments are based on reality, not some phantom ideology that people turn up because of a community image. None of those clubs poojah mentioned had fans turn up before success, except AFC Wimbledon which was a different situation entirely, and comparing them as being smaller historically is living in a past that has completely changed, and would have done regardless of who was in charge because they are all from areas with greater populations that have been turning towards football.

I completely agree that we need investment and new thinking and it is a start and will in the short term create excitement and bums on seats. But not a single bit of that will matter if we don't get results. And to think it's as simple as a little investment will lead to success is hugely underestimating the situation. If it was that simple, then every club would do it. Every single club out there is trying to improve one way or another and not everybody can get it right. We have to hope that

I can see your arguments to a degree, but in so many posts there is an excuse. In this one it is other clubs have larger population areas.

This is another red herring. The population of NE Lincolnshire alone is something like 160,000 and then parts of North Lincolnshire contain towns and  villages that Grimsby Town support could come from. This is easily enough, more than enough to get really good gates if everything goes to plan.*

Also your point about every club is making improvements seemed to omit the obvious exception to that statement! We have not improved anything as far as I can see for 20 years, apart from some very minor things like sinks for the ladies.

You do have a point in that success on the field is vital to everything but if the infrastructure and plan are in place to achieve it, it is more likely to happen than just trusting to luck.

*There is a long term problem with attendances though, and I think that will be a tough nut to crack, even for Stockwood and co. When things were so much better pre-Fenty with Buckley at his pomp, the club was disappointed with the gates. I remember a night match against Wolves in the now Championship and just before kick-off the ground was nearly empty and I guess the attendance was about 5,000 in the end.

Imagine playing Wolves now in the league - really 5,000 was an embarrassment.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 88
mariner91
April 13, 2021, 9:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from pen penfras

My comments are based on reality, not some phantom ideology that people turn up because of a community image. None of those clubs poojah mentioned had fans turn up before success, except AFC Wimbledon which was a different situation entirely, and comparing them as being smaller historically is living in a past that has completely changed, and would have done regardless of who was in charge because they are all from areas with greater populations that have been turning towards football.

I completely agree that we need investment and new thinking and it is a start and will in the short term create excitement and bums on seats. But not a single bit of that will matter if we don't get results. And to think it's as simple as a little investment will lead to success is hugely underestimating the situation. If it was that simple, then every club would do it. Every single club out there is trying to improve one way or another and not everybody can get it right. We have to hope that

Except GTFC under Fenty who was happy to tread water to such an extent that we went backwards as everyone else went forward. Imagine thinking adding some portakabins to your training ground was investing in the facilities.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 88
moosey_club
April 13, 2021, 10:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226

Who remembers the last person who wanted to take the club to the community?

[img]https://i2-prod.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/incoming/article3770536.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/0_IMG_0262.jpg[/img]

Lets hope the next incumbants make a better job of it.

There is one lad in that picture who is looking at Holloway and the look on his face says....." smells like bullsh!t "

Well done that boy.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 88
ginnywings
April 13, 2021, 10:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548

[img]https://i2-prod.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/incoming/article3770536.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/0_IMG_0262.jpg[/img]

When i have finished my "recruitment", we will be this far behind the rest of the teams in League 2.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 88
Fillipe Noche
April 13, 2021, 10:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Jason is a founding member of B Corp UK
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 88
ginnywings
April 13, 2021, 10:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Reading this thread, I think PP is suffering from the same delusion that JF was, in that the dissenters are seen as a vocal minority, and restricted to the fishy.

All the fans I know personally (none of them are members of this site) are saying the same thing, that this season has been the final straw. Not only did the board totally misjudge the season and made us worse than ever, from a low bar to start with, but they also totally misjudged the whole Mr May saga and it's effect on the fans thinking. There has been a sea change, of that I have no doubt.

While out walking today, I bumped into my brother and we sat on the seafront for a chat. Talk turned to GTFC as it usually does and he said he would be buying a season ticket for next season whatever league we are in, but only if we have new owners. Like me, he didn't get one this season after getting totally disillusioned with the goings on at BP. And that was before the sh1t show we have witnessed this term. If there is no change, he will carry on not bothering. I feel the same and we have nearly 100 seasons support between us. We are not fickle fans who are in it for the good times. There have been precious few of those the last 2 decades.

I think It's just as important how the club is run off the pitch as well as on it. Success on the pitch is great, but it's not the only reason we attend. It just doesn't feel like our club anymore and there is a disconnect between the fans, the board and the team. The last time it felt like the connection was there between the team and the fans was the squad that PH built, but once we got back into the league, the board let all that hard work drift away into the ether. Their time is up and the sooner they leave, the sooner we can get that connection back and enjoy being connected back to the club again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 88
toontown
April 13, 2021, 11:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from ginnywings
Reading this thread, I think PP is suffering from the same delusion that JF was, in that the dissenters are seen as a vocal minority, and restricted to the fishy.

All the fans I know personally (none of them are members of this site) are saying the same thing, that this season has been the final straw. Not only did the board totally misjudge the season and made us worse than ever, from a low bar to start with, but they also totally misjudged the whole Mr May saga and it's effect on the fans thinking. There has been a sea change, of that I have no doubt.

While out walking today, I bumped into my brother and we sat on the seafront for a chat. Talk turned to GTFC as it usually does and he said he would be buying a season ticket for next season whatever league we are in, but only if we have new owners. Like me, he didn't get one this season after getting totally disillusioned with the goings on at BP. And that was before the sh1t show we have witnessed this term. If there is no change, he will carry on not bothering. I feel the same and we have nearly 100 seasons support between us. We are not fickle fans who are in it for the good times. There have been precious few of those the last 2 decades.

I think It's just as important how the club is run off the pitch as well as on it. Success on the pitch is great, but it's not the only reason we attend. It just doesn't feel like our club anymore and there is a disconnect between the fans, the board and the team. The last time it felt like the connection was there between the team and the fans was the squad that PH built, but once we got back into the league, the board let all that hard work drift away into the ether. Their time is up and the sooner they leave, the sooner we can get that connection back and enjoy being connected back to the club again.

As usual well said ginny.

I wonder if any longer term club owner of a football league club has had as bad a record as fenty. He has owned the club for what 17 seasons? Of those 17 7 have been our worst ever positions in a 120 year history, soon it will be 8 out of 18. Has any EFL club owner with more than 10 seasons spent over 40% of their tenure presiding over the worst positions of their clubs history?

It would be genuinely difficult to make as big a intercourse up of it as fenty has so the consortium has a pretty low bar to beat. And all that is without the tantrums, debacles, selfishness, bitterness and other off field disasters culminating in the Alex may fiasco that could easily have cost the fans their club entirely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 88
Poojah
April 13, 2021, 11:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from ginnywings

With you 100% there. For as long as I’ve had a season ticket, which is at least as long as my entire adult life if not longer, I’ve never considered not renewing my season ticket. Even this season; in fact I wanted the club to have my money more than ever to try and support the club’s survival in uncertain times.

But look what they did with it. It’s unforgivable that we find ourselves in this position, let alone all of the many, many mistakes of the past.

With new ownership, I’m there in a heartbeat next season, assuming we’re all allowed to be of course. Without it, regardless of our league status, my money stays with me. The management of the club over the past 12 months, in fact going all the way back to Holloway’s appointment which was clearly loaded with subterfuge, has been appalling. Before that, it’s been dismal at best for the past 15 years.

If that meant phoenixing the club, so be it. The shít show can go on no longer.

Fortunately, I don’t think it will come to that. We seem to be all but there. But if it did, I and I suspect most others will be finished with the current administration.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 88
promotion plaice
April 13, 2021, 11:40pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 88
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
April 14, 2021, 12:16am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120

".......and when that million quid is in front of me, I'll grab it like this"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Direction?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.