Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Direction?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 216 Guests

New Direction?

This thread currently has 12,151 views. Print
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
coddy60
April 13, 2021, 8:16am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
Obviously, with the takeover not quite complete, and limited information coming out about future direction etc, was very intriguing to read a tweet from Mr Stockwood about us going for Bcorp accreditation.

https://bcorporation.uk/

Sorry dont know how to link the tweet, but it demonstrates they are looking to build a club to make us proud for a change, instead of the constant shameful episodes of the last god knows how many years, UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Limerick Mariner
April 13, 2021, 10:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,727
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from coddy60
Obviously, with the takeover not quite complete, and limited information coming out about future direction etc, was very intriguing to read a tweet from Mr Stockwood about us going for Bcorp accreditation.

https://bcorporation.uk/

Sorry dont know how to link the tweet, but it demonstrates they are looking to build a club to make us proud for a change, instead of the constant shameful episodes of the last god knows how many years, UTM

My employer is a B Corp - GTFC will need a complete culture change to achieve it, I wonder if there any other professional clubs that have that designation. It would be great to be a first for something good for a change...

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 88
Kristine
April 13, 2021, 10:39am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 41
Don't believe any other football club is B Corp currently

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 88
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 13, 2021, 10:55am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
You can just imagine Stockwood mentioning this to the Principal Funder and him nodding and saying 'yeah, great idea...'

He then races home, Googles it and sits thinking 'what the f*ck is Stockwood on about? I don't understand that at all. There's nothing in there about the chairman's profit. Benefit the community? WTF is all that about?!'

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 88
pen penfras
April 13, 2021, 11:36am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -130
Gold Stars: 71
Definitely sounds good, but the only thing that anybody really cares about is success on the pitch. Hopefully this builds a positive atmosphere and it spreads throughout the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 88
Jarmo.Is.God
April 13, 2021, 11:54am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from pen penfras
Definitely sounds good, but the only thing that anybody really cares about is success on the pitch. Hopefully this builds a positive atmosphere and it spreads throughout the club.

I agree to a certain point.

However, i would love to be proud of the club for a change
Be proud of having 5k+ to home games again
Be proud to see young kids wanting to go support them, instead of watching Man Utd on tele
Be proud to see a chairman walking round the ground on match days knowing hes achieving something.
Be proud of a new community stadium that will be more than just somewhere to play football on a Saturday.

If/When this goes through, i don't expect promotion in the first season
i don't expect a new stadium in 3 years.

I just want my youngs boys (5 & 2) to be going to games with me in 10 years time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 88
Poojah
April 13, 2021, 11:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from pen penfras

I believe this statement to be incorrect. Of course, what happens on the pitch is one of the most important determinants of success, however it’s not the only thing that anybody really cares about.

I think the fact that most Town fans would take the completion of this takeover over football league survival is testament to that. People want a football club that they can genuinely proud of, not necessarily Champions League or even Championship football.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 88
RichMariner
April 13, 2021, 12:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
Spot on, Poojah.

I hate it when people accuse me of not being ambitious but the truth is there are far more things I want to see from my football club before it becomes about winning games.

Firstly, I'd like it to exist.
Secondly, I'd like it to be run by someone (or a group of people) with morals.
Thirdly, I'd like it to be a community asset to be proud of (which depends on the above point, and a few below).
Then I'd like to be able to go to games, catch up with friends, see family, enjoy a trip to an away game.
I don't expect world-class facilities, but a ticketing system that's at least in this millennium would be a start

If we can get all that right, then the wins are the cherry on top. Clearly, obviously, we ALL want our team to be a success on the pitch. But we're in such a bad shape right now that we can't hope for that to happen unless there is significant change at the top.

The dream is that we are successful both on and off the pitch, and I truly believe we can be that again in the next few years once the takeover has gone through.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 7 - 88
jamesgtfc
April 13, 2021, 12:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from RichMariner
Spot on, Poojah.

I hate it when people accuse me of not being ambitious but the truth is there are far more things I want to see from my football club before it becomes about winning games.

Firstly, I'd like it to exist.
Secondly, I'd like it to be run by someone (or a group of people) with morals.
Thirdly, I'd like it to be a community asset to be proud of (which depends on the above point, and a few below).
Then I'd like to be able to go to games, catch up with friends, see family, enjoy a trip to an away game.
I don't expect world-class facilities, but a ticketing system that's at least in this millennium would be a start

If we can get all that right, then the wins are the cherry on top. Clearly, obviously, we ALL want our team to be a success on the pitch. But we're in such a bad shape right now that we can't hope for that to happen unless there is significant change at the top.

The dream is that we are successful both on and off the pitch, and I truly believe we can be that again in the next few years once the takeover has gone through.

Change the culture around the place, move the negative people who refuse to change on and invest in our training facilities and coaching staff. Do that and success will follow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 88
pen penfras
April 13, 2021, 12:15pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -130
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Poojah

I believe this statement to be incorrect. Of course, what happens on the pitch is one of the most determinants of success, however it’s not the only thing that anybody really cares about.

I think the fact that most Town fans would take the completion of this takeover over football league survival is testament to that. People want a football club that they can genuinely proud of, not necessarily Champions League or even Championship football.

I don't buy for one second that the majority of fans would have taken relegation to get the club sold if that was a possible choice. Some would, but people are saying that because relegation is almost nailed on and the positive is that there will be a change that we hope leads to a more successful future.

The good will is there, but if we're still in the NL in 5 years time, there will be a whole load of vitriol towards the new owners regardless of how much good they do in the community. This is a feature of every football club, and social media is the driving force.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 88
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Direction?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.