Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst v Holloway (In the dugout)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 234 Guests

Hurst v Holloway (In the dugout)

This thread currently has 8,510 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Fillipe Noche
March 18, 2021, 3:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
I’ve looked at some stats based upon the number of games Hurst and Holloway stood in the dugout.

There’s a couple of games neither were present, and to be fair to Hurst, until he started to bring in his own players and that was complete by end of Jan, he was saddled with Holloway’s dross.

Holloway:
Played 19
Goals For 17
Goals Against 32
GD -15

Hurst:
Played 12
Goals For 5
Goals Against 15
GD -10

As I’ve said, Hurst was saddled with Holloway’s players for much of January, early on suffering a couple of 3 nils whilst getting to know his team. Arguably that gives him a -6 goal disadvantage so to speak

If you look at Hursts last 9 games, he’s never lost by more than a single goal.

But there’s no doubt that goals have dried up.

I know Hurst now has an analyist on board. It must be jumping off the page that the problem is that we DO NOT create enough clear goal scoring opportunities when we have the ball.

Getting that sorted is our one and only hope of performing the great escape, assuming Barrow, Colchester and Port Vale can get back to their consistent bad form, which they may well do.

Add to the above that Holloway’s team ineptitude was also at its height when being knocked out of the FA Cup with a 3-1 embarrassment v Dagenham and Redbridge
Logged Offline
Private Message
chrissy
March 18, 2021, 3:19pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
Now we have the defence sorted we only need one goal to win.

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 52
Biccys
March 18, 2021, 4:21pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from chrissy
Now we have the defence sorted we only need one goal to win.

Win every game 1-0 and you walk the league!

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 52
Tommy
March 18, 2021, 4:36pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
(Pedant alert: Hurst has had 13 games now, not 12)

At this point its pretty irrelevant comparing goal difference. The only stat that matters is points gained.

Sadly, we get zero points for a 1-0 loss just the same as a 0-3 loss. Of course I get that it's better to not be losing games by bigger margins, but we're still not winning games. And it worries me that Hurst's points per game ratio of 0.54 is worse than Holloways ratio (this season only) of 1 point per game.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 52
KingstonMariner
March 18, 2021, 5:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Holloway’s PPG might have been even better if he’d not completely fuckedup pre-season. He could have then runaway with a better cushion to keep us out of the bottom two.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 52
moosey_club
March 18, 2021, 6:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
I’ve looked at some stats based upon the number of games Hurst and Holloway stood in the dugout.

There’s a couple of games neither were present, and to be fair to Hurst, until he started to bring in his own players and that was complete by end of Jan, he was saddled with Holloway’s dross.

Holloway:
Played 19
Goals For 17
Goals Against 32
GD -15

Hurst:
Played 12
Goals For 5
Goals Against 15
GD -10

As I’ve said, Hurst was saddled with Holloway’s players for much of January, early on suffering a couple of 3 nils whilst getting to know his team. Arguably that gives him a -6 goal disadvantage so to speak

If you look at Hursts last 9 games, he’s never lost by more than a single goal.

But there’s no doubt that goals have dried up.

I know Hurst now has an analyist on board. It must be jumping off the page that the problem is that we DO NOT create enough clear goal scoring opportunities when we have the ball.

Getting that sorted is our one and only hope of performing the great escape, assuming Barrow, Colchester and Port Vale can get back to their consistent bad form, which they may well do.

Add to the above that Holloway’s team ineptitude was also at its height when being knocked out of the FA Cup with a 3-1 embarrassment v Dagenham and Redbridge

Pretty sure that an analyst isnt needed to work that one out.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 52
KingstonMariner
March 18, 2021, 6:40pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from moosey_club

Pretty sure that an analyst isnt needed to work that one out.

It’s not like the regime to misunderstand what modern sports coaching and management is about.

Fenty probably thought a strength and conditioning coach is to do with hair products.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 52
TownSNAFU5
March 18, 2021, 6:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
When you are in a lifeboat, having escaped the Titanic, it matters not a jot why the Titanic sank.  Whether an iceberg or rocks.  The outcome is the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 52
Roast Em Bobby
March 18, 2021, 7:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
I don't really blame Hurst for not going all gung-ho attacking, as I think we'd quickly be back to getting pasted by big scores. The main thing that frustrates me is we don't seem to have any pre-thought out / practiced routines on attacking set pieces. I get the distinct impression ther are no set routines and its all off the cuff and badly executed. If you're struggling for goals from open play, then at the very least make yourself dangerous from set plays.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 52
Fillipe Noche
March 18, 2021, 7:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from Tommy
(Pedant alert: Hurst has had 13 games now, not 12)

At this point its pretty irrelevant comparing goal difference. The only stat that matters is points gained.

Sadly, we get zero points for a 1-0 loss just the same as a 0-3 loss. Of course I get that it's better to not be losing games by bigger margins, but we're still not winning games. And it worries me that Hurst's points per game ratio of 0.54 is worse than Holloways ratio (this season only) of 1 point per game.

I didn’t include the first game as it was practically on the day he joined
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 52
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst v Holloway (In the dugout)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.