2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
March 17, 2021, 9:36am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Phil has answered my question the other day, what company will do we keep. It’s Group B.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
pen penfras
March 17, 2021, 9:53am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

This is the only thing that's keeping me from giving up on our club totally...

Where would we be in 10 more years of fenty?
Compared to 10 years with the 3 new guys?

I think the difference could easily be 3/4 divisions - Not saying we could be in the Championship... i just think we would fall further down with Fenty & friends
A new stadium, and a total new feel around the club.

Here's to hoping it gets done, and Hurst/New manager get the backing of them

But that's just based on your own negativity. We consistently performed at the top of NL when we were at that level, so that is likely where we would be again and probably get back into league 2 eventually.

Football has changed, and I can't see us getting anywhere near to what we were in the 90's. But the way they're buying the club suggests a level of commitment that gives me hope of improving. It still needs a lot of money to make anything happen, and we don't know whether they're willing to spend money or how investment will be funded otherwise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
Jarmo.Is.God
March 17, 2021, 10:16am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from pen penfras

But that's just based on your own negativity. We consistently performed at the top of NL when we were at that level, so that is likely where we would be again and probably get back into league 2 eventually.

Football has changed, and I can't see us getting anywhere near to what we were in the 90's. But the way they're buying the club suggests a level of commitment that gives me hope of improving. It still needs a lot of money to make anything happen, and we don't know whether they're willing to spend money or how investment will be funded otherwise.

I'm not saying Championship is where we should be, as i believe we was always punching above our weight.
But i'm not convinced we should be happy that we performed well at non-league level for 6 years (3 leagues below the division we was in, when he took over), 1 of which us fans raised over 100k

Fenty has since helped take us back, by ripping up the best team we've had since the Championship (Division 1) days, and humiliating Hurst, and making him want to apply for other jobs.
He then appointed his old pal Slade, who got us very close, and only appointed Jolley due to fans pressure on social media, who eventually saved us..
He then appointed That other bald guy, so he can be part of his dodgy deals, rather than to help the club progress.

If you feel Fenty would get us back, then we will agree to disagree
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
RonMariner
March 17, 2021, 10:21am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,799
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from pen penfras

If Lincoln can challenge for a place in the championship, there is no reason why we can't if properly run and managed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 17, 2021, 11:16am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
We have to be super careful with any kind of attitude that looks like 'we'll be a big fish in a small pond' and 'we have a great EFL history'

Our history and our size (or our support) will not get us a single point - we only get points for what we do on the pitch.

It's the same attitude we used to laugh at in the 1st Division when Wolves and Man City and Newcastle said we had a shitty ground and no fans. Then we played them off the park with a better team. I was at St James Park when Dobbin scored that goal and the silence was a joy to experience.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
pen penfras
March 17, 2021, 11:19am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from RonMariner

If Lincoln can challenge for a place in the championship, there is no reason why we can't if properly run and managed.

Population is similar, but there's is more affluent. They've lost a lot of money over the last few years, fine if somebody is bankrolling it, but it's not sustainable unless they can somehow increase their income to keep it that way, and it always seems easier on the way up than when you start to stagnate and fans lose interest. A couple of seasons of struggling and fair weather fans will find something to do. We've not had their level of attendance in 40 years, despite having success in that period, so I don't know why we would suddenly get it now.

And Lincoln are very much punching above their weight. You can't do that forever, nor can everybody do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
Zmariner
March 17, 2021, 11:51am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from pen penfras

Personally, I think the challenge this time will be selling tickets and having enough revenue to be competitive. We know every nuance of this league we know the colossal number of points it takes to win the championship at this level. The only hope I see for us is it that the new owners come out all guns blazing and we start with a fairly spectacular budget for this level. I think as soon as we drop into mid table The crowds will be absolutely shocking and it will be very difficult to sell season tickets. The new owners will need to be very creative, the tickets may need to be very cheap , From the guys that I know there is virtually zero interest in committing to season tickets next season. Also Hurst starts with very little good will and so if he is the manager at the start of next season It will probably not help. That said he is a decent nonleague manager, with the exception of Shrewsbury he has been a very moderate league manager
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › DNA - We Will Be Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.