Fillipe Noche
March 17, 2021, 8:00am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Lots of talk about ex EFL teams in the National League

But be realistic and look at how many of them have a long historical pedigree as EFL clubs.

Quite a lot of these clubs are ones that have merely had fleeting dalliances in the EFL, and to be honest their history in none league is far far greater than it is in the EFL. They are in the National League because realistically that is their DNA for the biggest part

That’s why I am confident that in the National League we will always be up there at the top end of the league, amongst the favourites if not the favourite to get promoted

In an oddly perverse way, even though it took us a few seasons to get out of the National League, I actually enjoyed the seasons of being at the top end of that league. Don’t get me wrong, the play off failures prior to getting out were killers, but I still loved being up there competing for promotion. It was a great feeling compared to all of the years of football demise prior to that.

WE WILL BE BACK
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mallyner
March 17, 2021, 8:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
I'm afraid I am in deep depression after last night's results. According to the BBC website, Barrow had just 31 % of the play and yet won with 2 fairly lucky goals. I know you make your own luck, but that seems to have totally deserted us.

There is not one bit of me wants Town to sink to the National League, but it will take a miraculous recovery to save us now, although I will be watching tonight and Saturday in hope; and I feel the team has performed better in recent games.

However, like Fillipe and others have said in the past, I quite enjoyed the seasons at the top of the National League, with us winning most games and also seeing a few goals to cheer. Previously I watched seasons of dour relegation battles in the league and until we are ready to rise again with new owners and perhaps a new ground, if we do get relegated, I will still support the Mariners, as it's in my blood to do so. UTM  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
DB
March 17, 2021, 8:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Lots of talk about ex EFL teams in the National League

But be realistic and look at how many of them have a long historical pedigree as EFL clubs.

Quite a lot of these clubs are ones that have merely had fleeting dalliances in the EFL, and to be honest their history in none league is far far greater than it is in the EFL. They are in the National League because realistically that is their DNA for the biggest part

That’s why I am confident that in the National League we will always be up there at the top end of the league, amongst the favourites if not the favourite to get promoted

In an oddly perverse way, even though it took us a few seasons to get out of the National League, I actually enjoyed the seasons of being at the top end of that league. Don’t get me wrong, the play off failures prior to getting out were killers, but I still loved being up there competing for promotion. It was a great feeling compared to all of the years of football demise prior to that.

WE WILL BE BACK

Says a lot about you, thinking top half of a sh!tty league is good without a hope in hell of promotion.

23rd in league 2 with a future, or even better mid table league2 with something to build on for a promotion push for league one. This is what a real supporter wants in our position.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 17, 2021, 9:07am
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,765
Gold Stars: 81
Notts County, Wrexham, Stockport, Chesterfield, Hartlepool & Torquay all have a pretty decent EFL history and I find it remarkable how Wrexham have retained such a strong fan base despite more than ten years out the league now and pretty sure we would not have retained such a high average attendance for home matches should we still be stuck down there.

It’s a shame the Conference is so poorly run as in reality I would want three teams promoted into  and from the EFL each season as this reflects the minimum position between all other leagues in the pyramid system.

But conference is such a shambles it does earn the credibility for this to be agreed.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
Fillipe Noche
March 17, 2021, 9:10am
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from DB

Says a lot about you, thinking top half of a sh!tty league is good without a hope in hell of promotion.

23rd in league 2 with a future, or even better mid table league2 with something to build on for a promotion push for league one. This is what a real supporter wants in our position.

Don’t let your own twisted slant on what I’ve said get in the way of the true context of my post will you.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
RonMariner
March 17, 2021, 9:11am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,795
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Notts County, Wrexham, Stockport, Chesterfield, Hartlepool & Torquay all have a pretty decent EFL history and I find it remarkable how Wrexham have retained such a strong fan base despite more than ten years out the league now and pretty sure we would not have retained such a high average attendance for home matches should we still be stuck down there.

It’s a shame the Conference is so poorly run as in reality I would want three teams promoted into  and from the EFL each season as this reflects the minimum position between all other leagues in the pyramid system.

But conference is such a shambles it does earn the credibility for this to be agreed.

And Wrexham have just been bought by multi millionaire Hollywood stars who will presumably poor serious cash into them.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
pizzzza
March 17, 2021, 9:17am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
It is nice to be winning more games than we lose of course but I would much rather do that in League 2 than the NL. It is such a hard league to get out of even if you are up there at the top, finishing 2nd is often not good enough.

I am definitely not looking forward to watching Town play The Dog & Duck with them bringing 6 supporters.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
Jarmo.Is.God
March 17, 2021, 9:21am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Stockport seem to be doing what i remember Crawley doing.
Don't expect them to be non-league for too much longer IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
RonMariner
March 17, 2021, 9:22am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,795
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from pizzzza
It is nice to be winning more games than we lose of course but I would much rather do that in League 2 than the NL. It is such a hard league to get out of even if you are up there at the top, finishing 2nd is often not good enough.

I am definitely not look forward to watching Town play The Dog & Duck with them bringing 6 supporters.

And as we know, sometimes the Dog and Duck beat us!

But I do think things will be different under the new owners. I don't think we will be down there too long this time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
Jarmo.Is.God
March 17, 2021, 9:28am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from RonMariner

And as we know, sometimes the Dog and Duck beat us!

But I do think things will be different under the new owners. I don't think we will be down there too long this time.

This is the only thing that's keeping me from giving up on our club totally...

Where would we be in 10 more years of fenty?
Compared to 10 years with the 3 new guys?

I think the difference could easily be 3/4 divisions - Not saying we could be in the Championship... i just think we would fall further down with Fenty & friends
A new stadium, and a total new feel around the club.

Here's to hoping it gets done, and Hurst/New manager get the backing of them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › DNA - We Will Be Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.