5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
March 14, 2021, 12:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
I am not a Holloway fan and not trying to defend him. If you look at the the team Holloway produced in the league, that is the team we all criticised as rubbish, the stats for the first 12 games say W3,D3,L6, 12 points and 11 goals scored.

Hurst's first 12 games say W1,D3,L8, 6 points and 6 goals.

Both managers didn't have 'preseason' and had to wait for a team to gel, as the saying goes. Similar situations but Holloway came out on top!. As I said I'm not defending Holloway I think he's despicable, but unfortunately it does show how bad Hurst is. Holloways was a new team cobbled together just as Hurst did in January with 6 points and 6 goals being the difference.

Hurst has had experience in the NL but that was 5 years ago. Ask a West Brom fan what he thought of Allardyce when he arrived and what he thinks now. Allardyce was a good manger and is now out of his depth, just as Paul Hurst is here. Neither want to admit it.

I am quite happy to debate about Hurst staying but I cannot see one positive thing about him being here. It's a results business and Hurst hasn't got any. The stats and league position show that.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
KingstonMariner
March 14, 2021, 1:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The only thing that would stop me going to see Town next season, is if Fenty is still in charge. If it was about the quality of football I would have stopped long ago. So getting relegated again isn’t going to stop me.

A bigger problem is if we went down again and end up in a regional league as there won’t be any away games close enough to get to for me down south.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
DB
March 14, 2021, 1:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Zmariner
I will also go to some games but the difference for me and several others that I know is that we will not be gettings season tickets. If we prove to not be potential champions after a few games will still go to see the bigger games but the issue will be a cold evening with nothing to play for, I want the option to miss. If we are not very competitive after this period of failure apathy will set in.
This has beaten the interest out of me and many.
Unconditionally,as a league team I would support but the non league with no atmosphere is a vacuum.
Equally I will not attend the non league cup games. I fear a lot will be like me and so tough times ahead and I am the most apathetic I have ever been.
I wonder if those of us stupid enough to buy season tickets will be offered a significant discount, this is how to sell a rubbish product I guess. We lost out badly this season and so the clubs reaction will be interesting.As we stand at the moment less than a 10% chance I will be back next season.
As for Hurst, he has been rubbish but too late to change now and so I would stick. Give him 10 games into no league if he continues to fail we have to say goodbye. He does seem to be on downward curve at the moment and did not expect him to be this bad.
Terrible for the potential new owners with a deserting fan base but we would need to show huge intent to get me and my mates back. We have got used to not going and watching on ifollow is only done as we have paid for it. 2000 season ticket sales with discounts will be a struggle next season and Hurst has very little goodwill, he walked out on us and come back and failed in the only statistic that matters.

I think you have made a very good point about attendances next season. Stay in the EFL and it would be small base to build on. In the NL and fans will stay away, season ticket sales will drop and tbh not more 1,000. Fans will certainly be more selective and a cold Tuesday night in winter will not bode well. Keep Hurst for 10 games! He's shown he has lost his MoJo and is a yesterday's man, was good but not any more.

We will have new owners, hopefully a new ground to look forward to and desperately need a new management team and players. Hopefully when Fenty leaves he takes all the badness this club has had to endure with him and a new brush will sweep clean.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
Vance Warner
March 14, 2021, 1:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,830
Gold Stars: 105
Quoted from Marinerdeano

It's what some of us Town fans do though isn't it. I'm not saying we haven't had a rough ride for 20 or so years but we haven't helped ourselves with wayward abuse historically (an excellent board under Bill Carr, Danny Butterfield - 'he's no Macca', a 17 year old Darren Mansaram with some potential yet the expectation of him being something again, Halifax away promotion season). How many players leave here and go onto better things when they were undervalued here (Butterfield case in point)? When we are good we are amazing but when we are bad we can be horrible.

Great post. Don’t forget fans slagging off our greatest ever manager as well something Buckley mentions in his book as hard to fathom. Other clubs have a minority of mood hoovers as well but I genuinely don’t think there are many others that have fans producing banners calling for the manager to be sacked a couple of weeks before getting promoted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
Marinerdeano
March 14, 2021, 2:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Vance Warner

Great post. Don’t forget fans slagging off our greatest ever manager as well something Buckley mentions in his book as hard to fathom. Other clubs have a minority of mood hoovers as well but I genuinely don’t think there are many others that have fans producing banners calling for the manager to be sacked a couple of weeks before getting promoted.

And the thing is, our legacy of lambasting anything and everyone diminishes the credibility of our arguments when we truly have something to be aggrieved about.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
RonMariner
March 14, 2021, 2:44pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,799
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from grimsby pete
Signing players in the January window is always hard even harder if you are near the bottom of the league and falling into non league.

It wasn't a problem fro Bradford. They were in huge trouble, signed 9 new players and have rocketed up the table since. (Wining 9 out of 13 under the new managers I believe).

It's just that we chose the wrong manager who went on to sign the wrong players.

We need a fresh start next season. Hurst has been dreadful since he left Shrewsbury.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
Northbank Mariner
March 14, 2021, 2:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from RonMariner

It wasn't a problem fro Bradford. They were in huge trouble, signed 9 new players and have rocketed up the table since. (Wining 9 out of 13 under the new managers I believe).

It's just that we chose the wrong manager who went on to sign the wrong players.

We need a fresh start next season. Hurst has been dreadful since he left Shrewsbury.  

Spot on Ron, Hurst has been poor, not only at Ipswich and Scunthorpe but now here too,
No bounce, no change in fortunes, progressively getting worse with no signs of getting us out of the hole we are in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
pontoonlew
March 15, 2021, 8:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Vance Warner

Whilst the banners were a disgrace, the fact they were even up debunks this false narrative that Hurst did a fantastic job of getting us up. The season we did go up was one of the worst ones down there imo. Crazy tactical decisions contributed to us almost dropping out of the play-offs completely and it looked for all the world like we were going to go out after the Braintree home leg.

Thankfully Hursts stubbornness was forced into a change with Monkhouse getting injured, ironically when he had the chance to bring him back, he immediately did and we had that excrement show in the Trophy Final.

Hursts critics didn’t just randomly start, it came after years of turgid football which often ended in tears at the end of the season, a lot of it was justified (the banner however, was not).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
Jarmo.Is.God
March 15, 2021, 9:35am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Done my usual, leave it till Monday to have a clear head.

IMO, Hurst has improved us in every department, and made us better.
We've gone from losing, and losing badly.
To having that bit of hope, and enjoyment during a game, which we just ultimately, fail to win.

Having said that, the job was too much of an ask, not just of Hurst, but of any Manager IMO.

95% of the squad wasn't good enough for this league when he took over.
Now to convince players to join us, in that position, was a huge task.

If you look at the players we signed.
Habergham - Needed a club after his injury, not many would of taken the risk
LJL & Coke - From 2 league below, wanting full time football.
Lamy - Known disciplinary problems at previous clubs
Payne - Coming back from long injury, at a team on the rise, and wouldn't of got game time
Bunney - Non-league, wanting full time football again
Menayese - fell down pecking order at Mansfield, still young and wants to play
Matete, Idris & Adams - all 20, wanting first team, competitve football

Whilst i'm not cristising the signings, as i've previously said, they've improved us.
i would say most, if not all, was not at the top of his list.

Now, i'm in the - down and out group, and think its beyond realistic to expect any different, but a possibility

Hopefully new owners get confirmed soon, and we can take a step back, for a better future, and 2 steps forward.

Is Hurst the man to get us back up?
I fully backed him being appointed, and he has non-league experience, and i think we would struggle to get a better option
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
Northbank Mariner
March 15, 2021, 1:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Quote....he has non-league experience, and i think we would struggle to get a better option....
I was with you up until that line, I am not prepared to wait 5/6 years to get of non league again and certainly not with Hurst style of football.
Give him credit, he's kinda "stopped the rot" at the back, but we are and have remained woeful upfront, the area even Hurst highlighted in the interview with JT on the eve before he was announced as returning as the main problem.....you ain't gonna win if you can't score!...and he ain't addressed that point to any success...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Morning After

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.