Marinerdeano
March 14, 2021, 11:25am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Bawmariner
FFS. I've never been Hurst's biggest fan but he was given a January transfer window to sort the squad out. Before hurst came in we weren't creating much and we looked awful in defence. Now we aren't creating much but look relatively solid at the back. I don't know what people were expecting from the January transfer window. We already looked up excrement creek at that point so how many players are going to join when they look likely to lose 25% of their wage next season in a relegation clause.

It looks like we are going down. Bringing in another manager isn't going to improve out strike force. Hurst at least has some knowledge of the conference, will have one of the best budgets and has always made better summer signings than in January.

It's what some of us Town fans do though isn't it. I'm not saying we haven't had a rough ride for 20 or so years but we haven't helped ourselves with wayward abuse historically (an excellent board under Bill Carr, Danny Butterfield - 'he's no Macca', a 17 year old Darren Mansaram with some potential yet the expectation of him being something again, Halifax away promotion season). How many players leave here and go onto better things when they were undervalued here (Butterfield case in point)? When we are good we are amazing but when we are bad we can be horrible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 44
Hagrid
March 14, 2021, 11:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Yoda
My worry is if we go down a lot of fans will not bother going they have got used to it now.
If Hurst is still there the ground will be empty.

Well i’ll be there if PH is
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 44
oochiad
March 14, 2021, 11:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,725
Gold Stars: 28
I’ll be there whoever is. It’s a problem I have.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 44
mariner91
March 14, 2021, 11:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,725
Gold Stars: 262
I’ll be there whoever is manager. We can’t collectively b1tch and moan about a regime but then not support a new one when it finally comes about because we don’t like their first appointment.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 44
grimsby pete
March 14, 2021, 12:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Signing players in the January window is always hard even harder if you are near the bottom of the league and falling into non league.

Remember
Hurst did sign Amond , Bogle, Tait, Macca, Rodman,Disley and the rest of the squad that got us promoted.

All of them better than what we have now.

So I have no concerns of Hurst is in charge next season.

I just hope it would be in the league but looking at the fixtures left we are down unless our club doctor can find a legal wonder drug that turns out players into wonder men.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 44
arryarryarry
March 14, 2021, 12:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Marinerdeano

It's what some of us Town fans do though isn't it. I'm not saying we haven't had a rough ride for 20 or so years but we haven't helped ourselves with wayward abuse historically (an excellent board under Bill Carr, Danny Butterfield - 'he's no Macca', a 17 year old Darren Mansaram with some potential yet the expectation of him being something again, Halifax away promotion season). How many players leave here and go onto better things when they were undervalued here (Butterfield case in point)? When we are good we are amazing but when we are bad we can be horrible.

Oh FFS, take your head out of your backside.

This forum and fans are no different to any other clubs especially when they are in the excrement like we are.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 44
arryarryarry
March 14, 2021, 12:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from wigworld
Hurst is turning things round. We've gone from being thrashed (5 - 0 loss to Tranmere earlier in the season, 3 - 0 loss to Salford), to losing by one goal, to drawing games. I agree there's a fair chance we might run out of games, but it's far from over yet.

Don't let facts get in the way.

Holloway's last 12 league games we achieved 11 points.

Hurst's last 12 games we have achieved 6 points.

I would add that 7 of Hurst's 12 games were against teams near the bottom or in very poor form.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 44
Mariner_501
March 14, 2021, 12:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from pontoonlew
The fact Hurst called it a big point gives you an insight into what that half time team talk contained.

‘Sit back lads, just don’t lose, we’re going to be the only team in history to escape a relegation battle by drawing our way out of it’

I swear he’d take 46 draws a season even if it meant relegation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 44
pontoonlew
March 14, 2021, 12:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Hagrid

Well i’ll be there if PH is

I’d be there if Harold Shipman was in charge of things, I’m absolutely desperate to be there
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 44
Zmariner
March 14, 2021, 12:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
I will also go to some games but the difference for me and several others that I know is that we will not be gettings season tickets. If we prove to not be potential champions after a few games will still go to see the bigger games but the issue will be a cold evening with nothing to play for, I want the option to miss. If we are not very competitive after this period of failure apathy will set in.
This has beaten the interest out of me and many.
Unconditionally,as a league team I would support but the non league with no atmosphere is a vacuum.
Equally I will not attend the non league cup games. I fear a lot will be like me and so tough times ahead and I am the most apathetic I have ever been.
I wonder if those of us stupid enough to buy season tickets will be offered a significant discount, this is how to sell a rubbish product I guess. We lost out badly this season and so the clubs reaction will be interesting.As we stand at the moment less than a 10% chance I will be back next season.
As for Hurst, he has been rubbish but too late to change now and so I would stick. Give him 10 games into no league if he continues to fail we have to say goodbye. He does seem to be on downward curve at the moment and did not expect him to be this bad.
Terrible for the potential new owners with a deserting fan base but we would need to show huge intent to get me and my mates back. We have got used to not going and watching on ifollow is only done as we have paid for it. 2000 season ticket sales with discounts will be a struggle next season and Hurst has very little goodwill, he walked out on us and come back and failed in the only statistic that matters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Morning After

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.