2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
February 18, 2021, 1:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

My first game was a Red Sox one too. Yankees v Red Sox at Yankee Stadium. Booked the tickets well in advance of our first trip to the States. I've been a Yankees fan ever since. Been back to NYC another three times since and have always managed to take in a game. I've stayed within two blocks of Madison Square Garden but never been inside, only been to Penn Station underneath. Not a basketball fan, never have been. Wouldn't mind going to a hockey game if possible. My Disney experience was limited to day trip to Disney World in Florida.

I’d like to visit Fenway park.

We could’ve gone to see the dodgers but it was an hour or so away and I was fed up of driving and wanted to get on the ale.

Angel stadium is great though and it had all the American stereotypes you could think of, even Girl Scouts handing out free cookies.

MSG is mega and flipping huge. The Knicks are terrible but Lebron was playing for the other team so that was worth seeing.

Went to see Orlando City FC last time we were over in Florida...that was decent to be fair, all be it excrement football...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
February 18, 2021, 11:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
So it seems the National League is going ahead. Any idea when we'll hear anything from the American League.  

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
LH
February 19, 2021, 12:57am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,519
Gold Stars: 173
I went to the Texas Rangers vs Red Sox in 2001 when I was 11. Seem to think it was one of the longest matches of that season and if not all time. I didn’t understand it then and still don’t now.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
February 19, 2021, 1:08am
Snakebite drinker
Everybody seems to have seen the Red Sox. First game I went to went to extra innings. We didn't get onto the subway until 1 in the morning back to our hotel by about 2 although we did make a slight detour for a McDonalds.

No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
Hants.Mariner
February 20, 2021, 12:21pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +98
Gold Stars: 1
We were in Vegas in October 2019 the night the seventh and final game of the World Series was playing. We were sat in a bar and suddenly all the Americans in the place stood up to attention. It was the national anthem being sung. Very bizarre experience.

As the night went on each bar we went in was showing the game, but it was about four hours before the game finished. I think the way we spent those four hours was probably better than being at the actual game!

The world weighs on my shoulders
But what am I to do
You sometimes drive me crazy
But I worry about you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
aldi_01
February 20, 2021, 12:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hants.Mariner
We were in Vegas in October 2019 the night the seventh and final game of the World Series was playing. We were sat in a bar and suddenly all the Americans in the place stood up to attention. It was the national anthem being sung. Very bizarre experience.

As the night went on each bar we went in was showing the game, but it was about four hours before the game finished. I think the way we spent those four hours was probably better than being at the actual game!

This blew my mind at every American sporting event I’ve been too...and as you say, in the dirtiest of dive bars in New York they did the same.

Proper odd experience...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
February 20, 2021, 11:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Between the top and bottom of the 7th Inning at Yankee Stadium they sing God Bless America after they have introduced a member or former member of the Armed Forces and thanked them for their service. It led to a bit of an altercation at one game we went to when we refused to stand along with another group sitting nearby. A young woman sat in front of us turned to her friend and then they both turned and stared at us accusingly. My daughter was slightly annoyed and in her best Grimbarian preceded to state that we were quite prepared to honour the National Anthem at the beginning of the game but that this was just a patriotic song to honour members of the US forces and as we were athiests and not American we didn't feel we had to join in, it didn't help that she was wearing a shirt of the Yankees opponents, however one of the group in front was English and after a short explanation the group seemed to accept the situation. The uber patriotism is one thing I don't particularly like in the states, and our lack of it is something about the Brits that they find very hard to understand.

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
aldi_01
February 21, 2021, 8:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Between the top and bottom of the 7th Inning at Yankee Stadium they sing God Bless America after they have introduced a member or former member of the Armed Forces and thanked them for their service. It led to a bit of an altercation at one game we went to when we refused to stand along with another group sitting nearby. A young woman sat in front of us turned to her friend and then they both turned and stared at us accusingly. My daughter was slightly annoyed and in her best Grimbarian preceded to state that we were quite prepared to honour the National Anthem at the beginning of the game but that this was just a patriotic song to honour members of the US forces and as we were athiests and not American we didn't feel we had to join in, it didn't help that she was wearing a shirt of the Yankees opponents, however one of the group in front was English and after a short explanation the group seemed to accept the situation. The uber patriotism is one thing I don't particularly like in the states, and our lack of it is something about the Brits that they find very hard to understand.

It’s sycophantic nonsense...they did this at Pearl Harbor. Before you watch an extremely bias short documentary they gather the 50/60 people up and then, on my visit, proceeded to ask who was an active serviceman, clapped them, then ex serving, the families of active and ex and any non US serviceman...they even clapped pets, I excrement you not.

Another English family were there, I overheard the blokes wife say ‘go on John, you used to be in navy, why didn’t you put your hand up?’...his reply, ‘intercourse that, it’s weird luv’

I just giggled...

But yeh, the pseudo patriotism is actually hilarious. At Orlando city I just went for a urine...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
Hants.Mariner
February 21, 2021, 11:26am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +98
Gold Stars: 1
They did the same at Sea World in Florida - stand up if you have a relative serving so you could be clapped. I find it’s when you are in America seeing the way they behave everything all makes sense as to why so many countries dislike them.

The world weighs on my shoulders
But what am I to do
You sometimes drive me crazy
But I worry about you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
Gaffer58
February 22, 2021, 8:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Hants.Mariner
They did the same at Sea World in Florida - stand up if you have a relative serving so you could be clapped. I find it’s when you are in America seeing the way they behave everything all makes sense as to why so many countries dislike them.

Yep, had this at the same place. I suppose we’re happy,proud to be British, English etc without shoving it down everyone’s throat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Baseball

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.