Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust AGM
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 196 Guests

Mariners Trust AGM

This thread currently has 13,914 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
February 14, 2021, 12:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from grimsby pete
As a lifetime member of the Trust I did not want the shares to go to Fent y but understood why the Trust voted to give them to him.It was a vote and the result was give them.

They could ask Fenty for the money back but doubt the right fisted git would give them.

I'm still waiting for an answer post 102 :-

'Courting with the idea of becoming a trust member I have a simple question regarding the shares  gifted to JF. Is it not possible for the trust to ask for them back.

I seem to have read that the shares were gifted to him to use under custodianship or words to that affect. Apart from that as JF is giving up his ownership and therefore will have no need for them surely the right and correct thing to do is for him to return them to the trust. In doing so he is not out of pocket as he has not paid for them.

I cannot see why the Trust cannot make such a request as they would be in a win win situation. They may, unlikely as it is, have the shares returned to them and if not returned they would be able to show they tried. They would also be able to show that JF is the sort of person the contributors on The Fishy say he is.'

Also if your are a lifetime member why has your name colour not been changed to green and can you open a thread on the Mariners Trust Board so issues may be posted their,

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 166
crusty ole pie
February 14, 2021, 1:14pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,384
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from DB

I'm still waiting for an answer post 102 :-

'Courting with the idea of becoming a trust member I have a simple question regarding the shares  gifted to JF. Is it not possible for the trust to ask for them back.

I seem to have read that the shares were gifted to him to use under custodianship or words to that affect. Apart from that as JF is giving up his ownership and therefore will have no need for them surely the right and correct thing to do is for him to return them to the trust. In doing so he is not out of pocket as he has not paid for them.

I cannot see why the Trust cannot make such a request as they would be in a win win situation. They may, unlikely as it is, have the shares returned to them and if not returned they would be able to show they tried. They would also be able to show that JF is the sort of person the contributors on The Fishy say he is.'

Also if your are a lifetime member why has your name colour not been changed to green and can you open a thread on the Mariners Trust Board so issues may be posted their,

The consortium have agreed a price for fentys shares  if he starts to gift some away than the deal would need to be resorted the only thing we can hope is that Jf does the correct thing and donates the value back to the trust in hard cash
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 166
DB
February 14, 2021, 1:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from crusty ole pie

The consortium have agreed a price for fentys shares  if he starts to gift some away than the deal would need to be resorted the only thing we can hope is that Jf does the correct thing and donates the value back to the trust in hard cash

That seems good to me, but I would still like the trust to formally ask for it.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 166
KingstonMariner
February 15, 2021, 1:03am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from barralad

I'm confused. We don't have any spotters Stasi or otherwise.

I think he’s referring to PC Rutter

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 166
KingstonMariner
February 15, 2021, 1:10am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from barralad

My world?? It's the world of democracy as gifted to us by the Ancient Greeks.
The balloting period was at least four weeks. Plenty of time for the stiff opposition to have motivated themselves to join and vote. Obviously it wasnt that stiff-presumably put off by the extortionate cost of joining the Trust.
I'm fairly used to your style now after our disagreements elsewhere and can see that you have made an enormous assumption that a vote by the whole fan base (forgetting momentarily that we've already reached an understanding that the shares were gifted to the Trust) would have given a different outcome. JFs line of attack that he would be prepared to sell Hearn spooked 87% of the Trust members. Who is to say somewhere near the same percentage of the fan base at large wouldnt have done the same.

Being on the losing side of that referendum (hey, it was good practice) I have to say you were absolutely right. The fans of GTFC let themselves down by (a) not joining en masse; (b) those that did, not voting against.

I still think the Trust leadership were partly at fault for not giving a ‘vote against’ advice. Big strategic error because it’s now getting some of the blame for Fenty. A bit like Starmer will take some of the blame in the future for abandoning his principles and not opposing Brexit to the bitter end.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 166
KingstonMariner
February 15, 2021, 1:16am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

Not being funny James, but maybe it would be a good idea if you could pm barralad, or email the Trust, and outline what could be done, and how it could be done
3 other side points
1)when the Trust was founded the several hundred members of It's A Grim Exile was also 'folded in'
2) i know from personal experience how difficult it is to keep getting a membership to renew their fees. It does take some time and tenacity and you are always going to lose a fair few along the way
3) i think there is a 'chicken and egg' aspect to the criticism of the Trust and Barra's /The Trust's defensiveness. i think i'd be pretty touchy if i was giving up my time and putting in that amount of unpaid effort and then seeing criticism from people who aren't members or who just carp from the sidelines and won't help. Equally the Trust would be silly to ignore some of the more sensible viewpoints and advice that have been aired on this thread.

I just hope that with the Holy Trinity coming in, which will mean the club will be upping it's game, that the Trust will also be able to up its game. I'm certain it can only do so if more people do a little bit to help

On the membership question though, I remember you and Bob always banging the drum for IAGE at away games, literally approaching every little cluster and individual in the Town end and in pubs. Membership drives aren’t all about technology, but are often about talking to people face-to-face. Being there to put the argument and answer questions. Old fashioned, but effective.

And I bet nowadays, in these times of virtual comms, even more effective because it would be such a pleasant surprise for people brought up on social media.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 166
KingstonMariner
February 15, 2021, 1:19am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from friskneymariner

The very reason why I will not belong to any hierarchical organisations

Hate to point it out mate, but we live in a hierarchical society. It’s a case of hang together or hang separately. If you think a supporters trust is the wrong kind of organisation let me introduce you to the people that run the country.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 166
KingstonMariner
February 15, 2021, 1:21am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Yoda
What the trust did was a disgrace giving all those shares away.
You should of called his bluff he’s all hot air was he going to put us into administration and loose all his money.no.!!!

We’re you a member at the time and did you vote against?

I was and did. The decision was a gross mistake. But disgrace? No way.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 166
KingstonMariner
February 15, 2021, 1:31am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from barralad

It was recognised a while ago that you were right in regard to membership. Part of the problem was our lack of ability to follow up on those whose membership had lapsed because our (very) aged membership system didnt have that facility.
The new membership system is in effect controlled by the individual member who can log in and update personal details etc. It will send out automatic reminders to renew.
Since Christmas we have been able to explore this to great effect. A surprising number of people we contacted stated that they had just forgotten to renew. Since the turn of the year we have added a significant number. Some of these will be of course because of an interest in the potential take over but nevertheless it represents a promising start.

Thanks for replying Barra.

I’m not really thinking about systems and processes. Of course that all needs to be right for effectiveness, efficiency and legitimacy. What I mean is going out there and persuading large numbers of people to join. Not just putting notes in season ticket reminders. Good old fashioned concerted badgering. Having an overarching cause helps. A vision.

I know it’s not easy approaching strangers. I’m a confirmed introvert. But I think it really helps. Obviously in the current situation it’s impossible. But in 6 months or so it will be possible to press the flesh again.

Regardless of what happens with the takeover (in fact it’s irrelevant to this) we should make this the aim.

[sorry for being such a ranting gobshitebut I think this is absolutely the right thing to do).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 166
DB
February 15, 2021, 4:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

On the membership question though, I remember you and Bob always banging the drum for IAGE at away games, literally approaching every little cluster and individual in the Town end and in pubs. Membership drives aren’t all about technology, but are often about talking to people face-to-face. Being there to put the argument and answer questions. Old fashioned, but effective.

And I bet nowadays, in these times of virtual comms, even more effective because it would be such a pleasant surprise for people brought up on social media.

Talking face to face, the good old fashioned way, having the guts to look someone in the eye, no hiding behind names on social media or on this site. Of course it's no good for gutless worms and morons because they have nowhere to hide.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 166
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust AGM

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.