17 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
February 12, 2021, 1:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Staggered but maybe not surprised to find that the Mariners Trust haven't even bothered to start a thread for the upcoming AGM on here, the most used independent forum for potential new members or board members. A chance to stand for election, a link to application document within the tweet.. Post appeared on Twitter on the 10th with deadline for applicants on the 19th only seven days away. Makes you wonder if they do want fans to get involved or are they just incompetent? Here's the tweet below and I've started the thread that they should have done on their behalf..

https://twitter.com/MarinersTrust/status/1359601705567010820

More info taken from the Mariners Trust website..

The AGM will take place online via zoom on Thursday 4th March 2021 at 6:30pm

The official notice of AGM, Final Accounts, Proxy Form and Nomination Form are attached. You can also use the links below to download the necessary documentation:

Notice of AGM:                
    Final Accounts:                  
    2019 AGM Minutes:        
    Proxy Form:                        
    Nomination Form:            

Please vote on the evening or return the proxy form to secretary@marinerstrust.co.uk or FAO Mariners Trust, Blundell Park, Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire, DN35 7PY by Thursday 4th March, 3pm.

We actively encourage all members eligible to vote, to do so.  Most resolutions are standard items and have a low acceptance threshold.  Whereas the resolution to update the rules that we abide by require one third (around 240) of eligible members to vote.  We currently run on the 2011 version of the rules and for best practice would like to adopt the more recent 2016 rules.  More information can be found in a simple video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw2o_SxYXMk

As this is the first time that the trust have held an AGM online so we have also attached a guide on the process if you are unable to attend, how the AGM online will work if you are and a breakdown of the nomination process if you are looking to stand for one of six places on the Mariners Trust board. In total we allowed 12 board members and we currently have 10 which includes 1 co-opted. Three of the board are due for re-election – Alan Rutter, Sandii Raithby and Ian Townsend whilst Haley Carver-Smith will be seeking election after being co-opted. The election for the board places will be entirely independently and Geoff Bielby from Hull City has very kindly agreed to undertake this role for us.

Only fully paid members of the Mariners Trust are entitled to attend the AGM.  Anybody wishing to join the online AGM should email: membership@marinerstrust.co.uk Membership status will be checked before a log in and further meeting information is issued.

Any general questions can be directed to enquiries@marinerstrust.co.uk any questions regarding voting or the nomination process should be directed to geoff.bielby@hullcityst.com
Logged Offline
Private Message
SomeSanity
February 12, 2021, 2:13pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
Do the club still even have their own message board?

I think this is an exciting time to get involved with the Trust. New owners and a different approach to fan engagement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 166
grimsby pete
February 12, 2021, 2:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from SomeSanity
Do the club still even have their own message board?

I think this is an exciting time to get involved with the Trust. New owners and a different approach to fan engagement.

And maybe issue membership cards.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 166
barralad
February 12, 2021, 3:20pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Not sure I get the criticism. The AGM is primarily about signing off the events of the last year and due to Covid is already way past the usual date. All Trusts have received dispensation for late meetings. I'm not at all sure it should be a primary source of attracting new Membership.
For the record the notification for the AGM and the relevant bundle of documents have been mailed to every member for whom we have an email address and posted to those who dont use e-mail.

There has already been significant interest from people interested in joining the board.
I hope that the extra interest will mean that we can meet the challenges facing us. Whether that is with or without me is for the membership to decide.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 166
Bigdog
February 12, 2021, 3:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from barralad
Not sure I get the criticism. The AGM is primarily about signing off the events of the last year and due to Covid is already way past the usual date. All Trusts have received dispensation for late meetings. I'm not at all sure it should be a primary source of attracting new Membership.
For the record the notification for the AGM and the relevant bundle of documents have been mailed to every member for whom we have an email address and posted to those who dont use e-mail.

There has already been significant interest from people interested in joining the board with at least four  completing the nomination forms to date.
I hope that the extra interest will mean that we can meet the challenges facing us. Whether that is with or without me is for the membership to decide.

That's the scary bit Barra, that you don't get it. It's called engagement with potential members, distribution of information etc to your largest independent audience. It took me two minutes. So many people like me have paid to join and never received a single notification two or three years on. The Trust never learn from their mistakes, they just continue as they've always done. I've lost faith in what they can do, but it doesn't mean I won't try and help anyone else who feels like they want to get involved and to help the Trust. Applications for new board members are up for grabs. The Trust need more help. Why has it not been posted on here? Simple question unanswered..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 166
friskneymariner
February 12, 2021, 3:44pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
The Trust really needs to reflect on how effective it communication strategy is and is it succeeding in communicating hard to reach groups and is it effectively promoting diversity in its membership.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 166
barralad
February 12, 2021, 3:52pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Bigdog

That's the scary bit Barra, that you don't get it. It's called engagement with potential members, distribution of information etc to your largest independent audience. It took me two minutes. So many people like me have paid to join and never received a single notification two or three years on. The Trust never learn from their mistakes, they just continue as they've always done. I've lost faith in what they can do, but it doesn't mean I won't try and help anyone else who feels like they want to get involved and to help the Trust. Applications for new board members are up for grabs. The Trust need more help. Why has it not been posted on here? Simple question unanswered..

I value the opinions on here which is why I've been a Fishy member since 2010. Our main three media channels are Facebook, Twitter (your source) and our own website. I'm sorry to say that I doubt many people on here aren't members of one or more of those fora.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 166
barralad
February 12, 2021, 4:08pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from friskneymariner
The Trust really needs to reflect on how effective it communication strategy is and is it succeeding in communicating hard to reach groups and is it effectively promoting diversity in its membership.

Speaking as a Trust Board member we know that we've had trouble with our communication over the years. We know have a new Membership system which allows easy communication with members at the touch of a button. We still have a significant proportion of our members who do not use emails or social media strange though that may seem. The feedback we have received thus far is broadly supportive of our efforts to improve. In line with a huge number of other organisations we want our own website to be the primary source of contact. This backed with the aforementioned platforms means we reach huge numbers of people. The fact is that usually within an hour of any communication from us a thread posted by someone appears on here.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 166
SteffiMariner
February 12, 2021, 4:09pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from barralad

I value the opinions on here which is why I've been a Fishy member since 2010. Our main three media channels are Facebook, Twitter (your source) and our own website. I'm sorry to say that I doubt many people on here aren't members of one or more of those fora.

I think he just uses any excuse to beat the Trust with.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 166
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 12, 2021, 4:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from barralad

Speaking as a Trust Board member we know that we've had trouble with our communication over the years. We know have a new Membership system which allows easy communication with members at the touch of a button. We still have a significant proportion of our members who do not use emails or social media strange though that may seem. The feedback we have received thus far is broadly supportive of our efforts to improve. In line with a huge number of other organisations we want our own website to be the primary source of contact. This backed with the aforementioned platforms means we reach huge numbers of people. The fact is that usually within an hour of any communication from us a thread posted by someone appears on here.

I wanted to offer a bit of advice, genuinely in an attempt to help the Trust. I work for a global organisation and part of my job is communication and engagement. You say in your post 'we want our own website to be the primary source of contact' and that you use Twitter and Facebook as well. Because of the growth of social media etc, large organisations have learned (or are learning) that the consumer/customer calls the shots about how they want to be communicated with and anybody who wants to engage with them has to go and find them. This movement will continue and gather pace as younger members of society mature because they have never known another way.

The Trust should be using this forum because it's full of your 'customers'.

At the time of writing this thread had had just shy of 400 views. The thread on the National League has had about 60,000 views. I would be very surprised if the Trust's website has had 60,000+ hits in the last couple of weeks.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 166
17 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust AGM

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.