Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should we hoof it?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 265 Guests

Should we hoof it?

This thread currently has 2,869 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2021, 9:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Simple question really, if trying to play a bit of football isn’t going to keep us up should we start hoofing it a bit more.... or even a lot more?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
February 11, 2021, 9:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I take it you've seen the comments from PH saying that points are now more important than performances?

Said in another post that we should adopt the Cowley approach of slinging loads of balls into the box, as long as they aren't just aimless punts.

Never mind the quality, feel the width. (One for the older posters)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
louth_in_the_south
February 11, 2021, 9:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
Fook pretty football now . It’s all about getting it in the box

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
GrimRob
February 11, 2021, 10:02pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
The aim of the game is to win. That means scoring at least once, and more times than the opposition.

You play to your strengths. Ours would (if anything is) seem to be defending and scoring from set-pieces. Open play goals are very rare.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 16
Poojah
February 11, 2021, 10:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Fook pretty football now . It’s all about getting it in the box

I agree, we should stop playing the thrilling, tiki taka football we’ve been playing all season.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
Bigdog
February 11, 2021, 10:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Even on a pitch like ours I still think we should play when we can play to safely retain possession, especially working the ball into better areas to get better delivery into the box, but we should be looking to up our percentages in getting the ball into the final third quicker. We then have to win the first and second balls more along with supporting the target men better than we have. Strong case for us using our football intelligence to realise when we are overplaying,, especially on poor pitches like ous. But hoofing for hoofing's sake, with the immobility of Hanson if selected? I'd say no, just better calculated pragmatic decision making, especially when game managing a lead.. whatever one of those is..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
louth_in_the_south
February 11, 2021, 10:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Poojah

I agree, we should stop playing the thrilling, tiki taka football we’ve been playing all season.

Yeah I mean it’s so good to watch but we can’t play it against these animals and heathens in L2 .
We’d be top of the championship if we were in that division

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 11, 2021, 10:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,765
Gold Stars: 81
As Bigdog says for me, last week we played some decent football but our crosses were pretty dire most of the time and this has to improve. A long ball (hoof) played correctly up to a front two that can either hold the ball up and get support or flick on a header for teammate to run on to is fine if done correctly. For us we have to get more men up and around the front two much quicker and ideally we need some pace up top as defenders need to be concerned about players running beyond them. Have we a midfield or wide player capable of getting behind the defenders and causing problems?

Not sure personally but hoping a couple of the guys brought in might be able to contribute in this area.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
DB
February 11, 2021, 11:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
At this stage of our season I'm not bothered how we play, from  the back, pretty football, set pieces or hoof it. Just stick the ball in the net more times than the opposition.

I'm not bothered how we defend, fair means or foul. Just don't let them score.

And finally put the fear of God into the opposition as Vinnie Jones on Paul Gascoigne. Hard men in defence win games.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 11, 2021, 11:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from DB
Hard men in defence win games.

Not now they don’t. Hard men get sent off and lose games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should we hoof it?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.