Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should we hoof it?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 216 Guests

Should we hoof it?

This thread currently has 2,868 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
February 12, 2021, 12:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from DB
At this stage of our season I'm not bothered how we play, from  the back, pretty football, set pieces or hoof it. Just stick the ball in the net more times than the opposition.

I'm not bothered how we defend, fair means or foul. Just don't let them score.

And finally put the fear of God into the opposition as Vinnie Jones on Paul Gascoigne. Hard men in defence win games.

We give far too many free kicks away around our penalty area as it is we don't want to give away anymore.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
toontown
February 12, 2021, 7:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
As Bigdog says for me, last week we played some decent football but our crosses were pretty dire most of the time and this has to improve. A long ball (hoof) played correctly up to a front two that can either hold the ball up and get support or flick on a header for teammate to run on to is fine if done correctly. For us we have to get more men up and around the front two much quicker and ideally we need some pace up top as defenders need to be concerned about players running beyond them. Have we a midfield or wide player capable of getting behind the defenders and causing problems?

Not sure personally but hoping a couple of the guys brought in might be able to contribute in this area.

Max Wright for sure but he is injured, as he frequently has been.

Need to cross more but more importantly cross better, ours were invariably dreadful on saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
pontoonlew
February 12, 2021, 7:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
I’m not sure chucking balls in the box is the answer either, not because it’s not pretty, more to do with the fact we’re shite at that as well.

Not seen so many dreadful crosses delivered in one game as we served up in that superb 1-0 loss at Newport last week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
Roast Em Bobby
February 12, 2021, 8:05am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
Only goal we've scored recently was a ball into Payne's feet by Machete. We can't even cross well from decent positions, so lumping it from the back ain't going to work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
diehardmariner
February 12, 2021, 9:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
All about having a variety of options for me.

Hanson is an asset when you're chucking deliveries into him, as seen when he first arrived, but if that's all you've got it's quite easily nullified.  How many games did it take for teams to realise that if they had one man in front and one man behind our goal threat was completely wiped out?  For me there is also the concern that if our plans are all about going long to Hanson, what happens when/if he's injured?  Last season we still persisted in playing it long, even though Hanson wasn't there.

I think and hope we've got a bit more quality in our squad than we did a month ago so we shouldn't just rely on crosses or going long.  El Mizouni, Matete and Adams all look capable of playing proper football and I'd like to see them working off Hanson or LJL.  In Payne we seem to have someone (this is based on his two appearances I hasten to add) who has a little bit of everything to his game.

Pitches are shocking at the minute, not just ours, so it's important to take advantage of that.  Defenders make mistakes at our level, the pitches increase that risk, pressing them higher adds even more risk.   Equally so for our defence I want to see the risks reduced so pleasing to see the Holloway playing out from the back idea appears to have died a death, for now.  I like the concept of it but it's all about the right now at the minute.  
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
RonMariner
February 13, 2021, 10:54pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,789
Gold Stars: 226
If meant winning we should send the players out naked on ski's with tulips shoved up their bottom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
Mayaman
February 14, 2021, 3:46am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
As long as we can get it into danger areas.  We tend to play higher trajectories so that the ball loses momentum or the defenders have time to position themselves better to challenge. So, if it's straight down the middle, you can't run on to it. If it's into the box and header cushions it, it's hard to get any power.  If we were gonna take that approach, I'd take the team out and stick a cardbord player near the penalty sport and they have to whip balls in aiming to hit its head. They don't get any dinner until they hit it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should we hoof it?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.