BlackandWhiteBarmy2
February 26, 2021, 7:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
I'm well up for some sort of proportional representation system rather than the first past the post set up. There was a referendum on it tagged onto a voting slip 10 years back or so, I forget if it was a general/local/council election but either way it was strongly voted against. People fear change and are sadly happy with just deciding red or blue.

I think it was more likely because the version of PR we were presented with as an alternative to FPTP was a version created by a government that was in power because of FPTP and didn't want to change things.It was deliberately made to look awful and it was. I always feel that if a true version of PR had been suggested then we may well be using it now.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
DB
February 26, 2021, 7:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,022
Gold Stars: 386
PR or FPTP makes little difference if the leader is weak. We need strong leadership and I'm struggling to remember one in my life time.

FPTP in reality provides a dictator and I think of Blair. Thatcher was also the same but provided strong leadership at the time of the Falklands war.

Today we have wimps in parliament, let out a "leak" too many don't object so we'll make it policy!!!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
kafunanapar140909
February 26, 2021, 8:05pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
Johnson is in the perfect position to be a politician in 2021, in our fast food world of journalism and media. He is quotable, instantly recognisable, aesthetically flies in the face of your stereotypical politician.

Think of all the millions of people who do not really "do" politics in any real depth... if you turn up to cast your vote in an election with zero notion of what anybody's actual policies are, but are vaguely aware of who the main players are, Johnson stands head and shoulders above Starmer.

I'm not convinced Johnson has much drive in terms of ideology or policy, but simply likes power and knows how to play the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
DB
February 26, 2021, 8:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from kafunanapar140909
Johnson is in the perfect position to be a politician in 2021, in our fast food world of journalism and media. He is quotable, instantly recognisable, aesthetically flies in the face of your stereotypical politician.

Think of all the millions of people who do not really "do" politics in any real depth... if you turn up to cast your vote in an election with zero notion of what anybody's actual policies are, but are vaguely aware of who the main players are, Johnson stands head and shoulders above Starmer.

I'm not convinced Johnson has much drive in terms of ideology or policy, but simply likes power and knows how to play the game.

As opposed to being one of the 600+ politicians who do you think stands out as a statesman today, to lead the country

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
kafunanapar140909
February 26, 2021, 9:09pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from DB

As opposed to being one of the 600+ politicians who do you think stands out as a statesman today, to lead the country

Crikey, that’s a tough one! Depends what you mean by a “statesman”, or “leader”.  

In my opinion it’s about time Labour had a woman in charge. Ardern has been impressive down in New Zealand so it’d be good to see a strong character like her emerge. In Labour Lisa Nandy has been quietly building up her reputation, did far better than anyone expected in the last leadership campaign, though I think it’ll be a while before she can seriously make a stand for leader – she’s a little young atm. Angela Rayner seems fairly popular and Emily Thornberry is quite a strong character, but can anyone realistically see Labour coming close in the next election? My favourite female MP is Caroline Lucas but being a Green she’s never going to wield any real power.

I’m far less impressed with the male politicians in Labour currently. I rate McDonnell and Corbyn more highly than the current lot. I know someone who’s mates with Richard Burgon (MP for Leeds East) who was supposedly highly rated as a promising one for the future, but he was in under Corbyn - Starmer kicked him out of his shadow cabinet.

Short answer is I don’t know!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
DB
February 27, 2021, 8:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from kafunanapar140909

Crikey, that’s a tough one! Depends what you mean by a “statesman”, or “leader”.  

In my opinion it’s about time Labour had a woman in charge. Ardern has been impressive down in New Zealand so it’d be good to see a strong character like her emerge. In Labour Lisa Nandy has been quietly building up her reputation, did far better than anyone expected in the last leadership campaign, though I think it’ll be a while before she can seriously make a stand for leader – she’s a little young atm. Angela Rayner seems fairly popular and Emily Thornberry is quite a strong character, but can anyone realistically see Labour coming close in the next election? My favourite female MP is Caroline Lucas but being a Green she’s never going to wield any real power.

I’m far less impressed with the male politicians in Labour currently. I rate McDonnell and Corbyn more highly than the current lot. I know someone who’s mates with Richard Burgon (MP for Leeds East) who was supposedly highly rated as a promising one for the future, but he was in under Corbyn - Starmer kicked him out of his shadow cabinet.

Short answer is I don’t know!

Red or blue I cannot see one politician who stands out as a statesperson (hope the grammar is ok) or strong dominant leader for the country.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Labour party rebranding

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.