Eastendmariner
February 1, 2021, 6:11pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
he was a good player My 10 year old daughter still mentions that night at Colchester last season and CV Hatrick will stick in her memory always  

Like many half decent players that have come and gone from our club since she has been supporting Town she asks where are certain players that have shown real promise Ive had to say OH he's left Grimsby. Why ? Its simple penny pinching time and time again

In the old days they went to big ones Villa Everton  er not Burton

scrooge is alive and well and and not just for xmas at our club anyway  

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 64
Eastendmariner
February 1, 2021, 6:11pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
he was a good player My 10 year old daughter still mentions that night at Colchester last season and CV Hatrick will stick in her memory always  

Like many half decent players that have come and gone from our club since she has been supporting Town she asks where are certain players that have shown real promise Ive had to say OH he's left Grimsby. Why ? Its simple penny pinching time and time again

scrooge is alive and well and and not just for xmas at our club anyway  

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 64
RonMariner
February 1, 2021, 6:16pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,791
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Eastendmariner

Not to mention the three good players we lost to the mighty Hartlepool.

What a flipping shambles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 64
HertsGTFC
February 1, 2021, 6:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings
Really fecking annoyed by this I must admit.

Same, just another example of our current Board's and former managers ineptitude.

But what made me even more p1ssed off was this...

https://twitter.com/mattiepollock4/status/1356270880263909383?s=21

I’m glad Pollock is pleased for him ........ FFS🤦‍♂️

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 64
KingstonMariner
February 1, 2021, 10:48pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MrFisherman
The club took advice on Vernams contract extension from the EFL and they gave Town and because of that we lost Vernam

Yeah yeah yeah. Yadder yadder yadder.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 64
Abdul19
February 2, 2021, 9:29am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Same, just another example of our current Board's and former managers ineptitude.

But what made me even more p1ssed off was this...

https://twitter.com/mattiepollock4/status/1356270880263909383?s=21

I’m glad Pollock is pleased for him ........ FFS🤦‍♂️

He's congratulating his mate on getting a new job?  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 64
Kris2
February 2, 2021, 9:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Abdul19

He's congratulating his mate on getting a new job?  

Apparently you're not allowed to be mates with people after they quit the same workplace as you.  

This idea that the players need to act like fans of the club is just funny, A lot of people who play for us grew up in different places and support different teams. They don't switch to supporters with blind loyalty to whoever they play for. As long as they give their best while they play for us just be happy for them if they choose to move on for a better deal.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 64
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 2, 2021, 10:59am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
He is quick but even in his purple patch here he was out of the game for long spells. Doesn’t matter if you suddenly get a worldly but I don’t think Hurst would feel that sort of player was worth paying biggish money for. He likes workers and the side needs workers now more than ever, so no great loss to Town.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 64
diehardmariner
February 2, 2021, 11:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Vernam is bucking that trend where ex-players or players out the squad get better the longer since they last played for us.

Vernam was superb from December to March.  Prior to that he rarely had a regular run in the team, he struggled with injuries and when he did get game time he kept picking up niggles left, right and centre. His injury record was one of the reasons Derby released him.

The loan spell at Chorley did him the world of good, be it a confidence boost or a kick up the backside, but it worked.  Credit to Limbrick who brought him back into the fold and worked with that renewed energy to make him a key part of the team.  The pre-Christmas derby against Scunthorpe was when I personally felt we saw the player Vernam could be.  Having previously just drifted in and out of games, he was ready to take the game by the scruff of the neck and played with the heart of a lion.  

Holloway capitalised on that and focused a lot of our play around him.   As his form improved, so did the attention and with that teams were doubling and even trebling up on him.  That allowed others to flourish in the space created.

As the team began to grow and the introduction of the likes of Benson and Clarke amongst others, Vernam found space again and ripped teams apart.  Ironically it was the Bradford away game where he was just unplayable, the second half in front of the Town fans down that left flank he was on another planet to everyone else on the pitch.  Two, three, sometimes four men on him and he just kept ghosting past them.  

Let's not pretend he was an average player with a purple patch in him.  He is a very, very good player who we took 18 months to get the best out of, mainly because we had a manager in Jolley who was incredibly defensive minded in his approach but no doubt because we've got the sports science set-up of a 1930's side.

Bradford have made a fine signing.  One I'm envious of.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 64
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 2, 2021, 11:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from diehardmariner
Vernam is bucking that trend where ex-players or players out the squad get better the longer since they last played for us.

Vernam was superb from December to March.  Prior to that he rarely had a regular run in the team, he struggled with injuries and when he did get game time he kept picking up niggles left, right and centre. His injury record was one of the reasons Derby released him.

The loan spell at Chorley did him the world of good, be it a confidence boost or a kick up the backside, but it worked.  Credit to Limbrick who brought him back into the fold and worked with that renewed energy to make him a key part of the team.  The pre-Christmas derby against Scunthorpe was when I personally felt we saw the player Vernam could be.  Having previously just drifted in and out of games, he was ready to take the game by the scruff of the neck and played with the heart of a lion.  

Holloway capitalised on that and focused a lot of our play around him.   As his form improved, so did the attention and with that teams were doubling and even trebling up on him.  That allowed others to flourish in the space created.

As the team began to grow and the introduction of the likes of Benson and Clarke amongst others, Vernam found space again and ripped teams apart.  Ironically it was the Bradford away game where he was just unplayable, the second half in front of the Town fans down that left flank he was on another planet to everyone else on the pitch.  Two, three, sometimes four men on him and he just kept ghosting past them.  

Let's not pretend he was an average player with a purple patch in him.  He is a very, very good player who we took 18 months to get the best out of, mainly because we had a manager in Jolley who was incredibly defensive minded in his approach but no doubt because we've got the sports science set-up of a 1930's side.

Bradford have made a fine signing.  One I'm envious of.

It’s opinion, I know, but I would be wondering why Burton let him away if he is that good and why somebody like Peterborough for instance has not been in for him before now.  I don’t doubt he has ability and was unlucky with injuries and Jolley as manager but there has to be more to it.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Vernam

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.