Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who got the best deal?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 283 Guests

Who got the best deal?

This thread currently has 6,730 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Withnail
January 17, 2021, 5:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
I do a regular online quiz with some lads who all like football.

They're good lads but all grew up in a town without a professional football team (where I now live) so support various Premier League teams - Liverpool, Villa and Spurs.

Anyway...whenever they bang on about "their" teams my eyes glaze over and I zone out.

While the Villa fan would get to a couple of games a season (pre Covid) and the Spurs fan has use of a corporate season ticket, I just don't see them as authentic football fans. It's not jealousy (I don't think) or inverted snobbery. I just don't see how someone living in a different part of the country can have a deep and meaningful connection to a football club if there's no family/local link. Without this surely a club can't be part of your DNA, can it?

The other major difference is that I dread to think how much I've invested in following Town over the years. If you include travel, food, tickets, beers (obviously not compulsory) overnights...etc...it dwarfs the cost of the occasional trip to Villa Park, The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, or in the case of the Liverpool fan, annual Sky Sports subscription.

Do you agree, or am I being sanctimonious twit? I appreciate there is an element of hypocrscy as were Town ever to find themselves in the top flight (yeah right) I'm sure I'd be all over the Prem.

But in conclusion,  for me, supporting a non local Prem team who you have no local connection to is both souless and sterile.

As much as it pains me to see us second bottom in the football pyramid, I wouldn't swap it for being a plastic (insert big Prem team) fan.

I'm almost sure they pity me supporting Town but ironically I pity them more as they'll never know the euphoria of your local team giant killing a Premier League side in the cup or escaping the abyss of non league football.
Logged Online
Private Message
Les Brechin
January 17, 2021, 6:06pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Totally agree. Grimsby Town are part of me and who I am.

I think Frank Skinner called it right when he said that you should put your finger on a map where you were born, and make ever increasing circles until you find your nearest football club, and that's your team.

I didn't choose to support Grimsby Town, Grimsby Town chose me!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 37
wigworld
January 17, 2021, 6:12pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Would you feel the same about them if they supported a lower league team they have no connection to?
I feel roughly the same. I think supporting the team is kind of a modern-day 'belong to a tribe'.Some people might have a stronger legitimate connection to a tribe,others less so.
My son was born in Kingston-on-Thames, but we moved back North when he was two years old, and he's lived in Beverley for most of his life. He supports Town (rather than the mud-rats) because his Dad does. Would that be a legitimate tribal connection?
What about his friend, who supports Man Utd because his Dad (who has no connection to Manchester) does? (They share a season ticket with another family, so do go to games regularly, if that makes a difference). Does he have a legitimate tribal connection? Would you say no, because his Dad doesn't?
I must admit, I tend to be sanctimonious about it, but it gets tricky when you start to unpick individual cases. Tricky, isn't it!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 37
Withnail
January 17, 2021, 6:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from wigworld
Would you feel the same about them if they supported a lower league team they have no connection to?
I feel roughly the same. I think supporting the team is kind of a modern-day 'belong to a tribe'.Some people might have a stronger legitimate connection to a tribe,others less so.
My son was born in Kingston-on-Thames, but we moved back North when he was two years old, and he's lived in Beverley for most of his life. He supports Town (rather than the mud-rats) because his Dad does. Would that be a legitimate tribal connection?
What about his friend, who supports Man Utd because his Dad (who has no connection to Manchester) does? (They share a season ticket with another family, so do go to games regularly, if that makes a difference). Does he have a legitimate tribal connection? Would you say no, because his Dad doesn't?
I must admit, I tend to be sanctimonious about it, but it gets tricky when you start to unpick individual cases. Tricky, isn't it!

Yep, completely agree with your valid points, it's not black and white, if you'll pardon the pun.

My cousin who was born and grew up in North London yet has always been die hard Town as our grandpa used to take us to games as kids, which I always thought (and still do) was class.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 37
TwoLeftFeet
January 17, 2021, 6:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,101
Gold Stars: 19
All I'm pretty sure about is that no plastic supporter could feel the high we felt Wembley 98 or 16, or the low of the Burton game etc that for me is what football is all about the passion.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 37
IlkleyMariner
January 17, 2021, 6:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Withnail

They're good lads but all grew up in a town without a professional football team (where I now live) so support various Premier League teams - Liverpool,. Villa and Spurs.

Anyway...whenever they bang on about "their" teams my eyes glaze over and I zone out.

While the Villa fan would get to a couple of games a season (pre Covid) and the Spurs fans has use of a corporate season ticket, I just don't see them as authentic football fans. It's not jealousy (I don't think) or inverted snobbery. I just don't see how someone living in a different part of the country can have a deep and meaningful connection to a football club if there's no family/local link. Without this surely a club can't be part of your DNA, can

The other major difference is that I dread to think how much I've invested in following Town over the years. If you include travel, food, tickets, beers (obviously not compulsory) overnights...etc...it dwarfs the cost of the occasional cost of a trip to Villa Park, The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, or in the case of the Liverpool fan, annual Sky Sports subscription.

Do you agree, or am I being sanctimonious twit? I appreciate there is an element of hypocrscy as were Town ever to find themselves in the top flight (yeah right) I'm sure I'd be all over the Prem.

But in conclusion,  for me, supporting a non local Prem team who you have non local connection to is both souless and sterile.

As much as it pains me to see us second bottom in the football pyramid, I wouldn't swap it for being a plastic (insert big Prem team) fan.

I'm almost sure they pity me supporting Town but ironically I pity them more as they'll never know the euphoria of your local team giant killing a Premier League giant in the league or escaping the abyss of non league football.

Sign of the times
We will all be following Barca or Madrid instead of local small clubs in next 20 years.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 37
The Yard Dog
January 17, 2021, 7:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,514
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Sign of the times
We will all be following Barca or Madrid instead of local small clubs in next 20 years.

Not me, it's Grimsby or no football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 37
moosey_club
January 17, 2021, 7:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Withnail

They're good lads but all grew up in a town without a professional football team (where I now live) so support various Premier League teams - Liverpool,. Villa and Spurs.

While the Villa fan would get to a couple of games a season (pre Covid) and the Spurs fans has use of a corporate season ticket, I just don't see them as authentic football fans. It's not jealousy (I don't think) or inverted snobbery. I just don't see how someone living in a different part of the country can have a deep and meaningful connection to a football club if there's no family/local link. Without this surely a club can't be part of your DNA, can it?

The other major difference is that I dread to think how much I've invested in following Town over the years. If you include travel, food, tickets, beers (obviously not compulsory) overnights...etc...it dwarfs the cost of the occasional trip to Villa Park, The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, or in the case of the Liverpool fan, annual Sky Sports subscription.

But in conclusion,  for me, supporting a non local Prem team who you have non local connection to is both souless and sterile.

I'm almost sure they pity me supporting Town but ironically I pity them more as they'll never know the euphoria of your local team giant killing a Premier League giant in the cup or escaping the abyss of non league football.

But the extreme opposite is people choosing a non league team like Dulwich Hamlet as they are "Hip".
I dont mind anyone having an affinity to a team as long as they are loyal to it, doesnt really matter how that started, although there are large generational swings, in my lifetime Leeds and Chelsea from the 70's picked up glory support, Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea again, Man City, Liverpool again....so there is always a swing to success but some people pick names, colours, maybe a player at a club .....they maybe shouldn't criticized for a choice of club...even though every Town supporter would say you should support your home town team.
Growing up a mate of mine was a Derby fan, they were well past their best by then and not an obvious choice....but his dad was a Derby fan so it was passed down.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 37
golfer
January 17, 2021, 7:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
If Town go down I'll still support them even if they're playing Ragarse Rovers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 37
louth_in_the_south
January 17, 2021, 7:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
I really think we’ve got more important things to be debating at the minute. We’re facing non league again and the plastics won’t give a fook about us .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who got the best deal?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.