Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who got the best deal?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 273 Guests

Who got the best deal?

This thread currently has 6,731 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
January 18, 2021, 12:08am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Withnail

Good points KM.

I think it's great that your lad follows Town, despite being born and brought up in Kingston.

I doff my hat, especially after you you got him season tickets for his local team and he avoided the temptation of Chelski.

I don't think I could bring myself to get my lad a season ticket for two of his local teams - Forest Green and Cheltenham. I'd consider getting him a season ticket at the other local club (Swindon) if he was desperate to go with his pals but only if I had a written guarantee that he'd always support the Mariners as his first team, regardless. 😎 Hopefully we'll be a more appealing prospect when he's old enough to take a real interest. UTM.

I can’t take credit for him supporting Town. Obviously I tried but didn’t want to push it as me and his mum got divorced, so I didn’t want to risk town in case he pushed back if you know what I mean.
But I did encourage the Wimbledon thing as being better than Chelsea. Luckily his best school mates also went to watch Wimbledon including one who’s dad was Oldham and one who’s dad was Charlton. Worst case scenario he would support a club that he couldn’t possibly be accused of being a glory hunter for.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
KingstonMariner
January 18, 2021, 12:31am
Meths Drinker
What he does say that Town fans are the best he’s been among. H s been with Wimbledon, Fulham, Brizzle Rovers, Chelsea?, Sheffield u, Huddersfield and someone else, and Town are the best.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
January 18, 2021, 4:13am
Guest User
Quoted from KingstonMariner
What he does say that Town fans are the best he’s been among. H s been with Wimbledon, Fulham, Brizzle Rovers, Chelsea?, Sheffield u, Huddersfield and someone else, and Town are the best.

Followed up by "Dad I need some money..."?  
Reply: 22 - 37
Mayaman
January 18, 2021, 5:06am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
I've spent a fair bit of my adult life abroad and usually follow a local team wherever I am.  As much as I enjoy going to the games celebrating a win, it never comes as such a high as watching Town win.  Also, I feel the hurt more when the Mariners lose.  With my 'temporary' team It's more a shrug of the shoulders and then onto the next game.  Maybe that's a good think.  Less stress.  

Somebody mention that it's not so exciting watching on the box.  he obviously didn't see me when Nathan Arnold scored his goal.  My girlfriend at the time couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.  I am sure the neighbours didn't either.  Most of the lads that go to Ho Chi Minh City matches follow their local side -Port Vale, Swindon, Crewe, Sunderland - You know, the glamorous places that grace our land. We even had a lad that supported Bognor!  He went to live in Bangkok and listened to Humberside when we played them in the cup. I do get immediately suspicious and judge (sometimes wrongly) when someone says they support Man U.  Only the other day, I met a United supporter but he grew up within a stone's throw of Old Trafford.  I suppose you can't really knock that.

So in answer to your question of who has the best deal, it depends on what type of person you are.  On one hand, it's a bit of a lottery depending on where you're born or which team you went to see live first.  On the other, it's about what you make of it.  For me personally, despite our cack position in the league, I think I got a great deal.  UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
Mariner_09
January 18, 2021, 10:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I do think we all suffer a greater emotional investment in it, which is why I fear if we carry on not being allowed to go that habits will be broken, especially given the general crapness at the moment, people will become more and more disenfranchised as every week we don't go it's that bit further away.

I have a soft spot for Liverpool and since I went to University have paid more attention to their results and watched more games than I did previously, given I spent time with Liverpool fans as GTFC isn't very high on the average Uni footy fan's knowledge or interest list. However, I do feel a lot of them don't really understand what it's like to be a proper fan as it were. Some seemed genuinely perplexed at how I went whenever I could before March. The flip side of that is once you're committed, you're committed and as much as I wish I had no interest sometimes, I can't stop myself from getting frustrated or angry when it all goes wrong.

I wasn't born in Grimsby and have never lived there but I still feel an emotional connection to it.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
ginnywings
January 18, 2021, 11:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I was a football mad kid, playing in the back alley and street every night after school and for hours and hours on Sidney Park at the weekends. Could see the floodlights from my house, so it was inevitable the two would merge at some point. Pocket money went on the Saturday Minors at the ABC cinema, so didn't have any money left to pay to get in, so sometimes we would scale the fence, sometimes we would go at half time covered in mud from the park. At 12 I got a paper job, and that led to selling the Sports Telegraph in the ground and we were let in BP in the second half to sell the papers. It was the 72 season, and well, need I say more. Spent more time watching than selling and soon gave up selling altogether. Been to almost every home game since. Can't understand why anyone would want to "support" a Prem team from afar, but each to their own.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
KingstonMariner
January 18, 2021, 1:48pm
Meths Drinker
ABC Minors! I remember that. Just.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
The Yard Dog
January 18, 2021, 2:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,514
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from ginnywings
I was a football mad kid, playing in the back alley and street every night after school and for hours and hours on Sidney Park at the weekends. Could see the floodlights from my house, so it was inevitable the two would merge at some point. Pocket money went on the Saturday Minors at the ABC cinema, so didn't have any money left to pay to get in, so sometimes we would scale the fence, sometimes we would go at half time covered in mud from the park. At 12 I got a paper job, and that[/b] led to selling the Sports Telegraph in the ground and we were let in BP in the second half to sell the papers.[b] It was the 72 season, and well, need I say more. Spent more time watching than selling and soon gave up selling altogether. Been to almost every home game since. Can't understand why anyone would want to "support" a Prem team from afar, but each to their own.

How can you sell the sports telegraph before the results came in, did the sports telegraph come out earlier in the seventies, I can only remember getting the sports telegraph about 6pm.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
ginnywings
January 18, 2021, 3:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from The Yard Dog

How can you sell the sports telegraph before the results came in, did the sports telegraph come out earlier in the seventies, I can only remember getting the sports telegraph about 6pm.  

Good point, probably my mind playing tricks with my memory. I sold the Telegraph at the ground is all I remember. Didn't sell any anyway, as I was too busy watching the footy. The guy who dished out the papers used to say to me "you bring more back than I gave you to start with".  

Think we were then given the Sport Telegraph to deliver once we'd taken back the unsold ones to a little hut in Phelps Street.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
mariner83
January 18, 2021, 9:03pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
My Dad once said to me "anyone can be a fan of a football club, but it takes more to be a supporter"

Obviously people have whatever reason for choosing their team, be it family affinity or where they grew up; but if you've never been to watch that team live I don't understand how you can feel properly connected to it.

It's not just the match, it's the smell, the roar, the people you talk to every week even though you don't know their name.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who got the best deal?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.