6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
January 3, 2021, 1:34pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,798
Gold Stars: 226
If the earlier post is correct then a minimum 30 games would need to be completed at L2 level for PPG to be valid.

Our next 5 games are all against teams that are struggling for form or at the bottom end of the table. We clearly need to do well in these games to get us away from the drop zone because early termination has to be a distinct possibility.

Its clearly imperative that we bring in half a dozen new player to get us out of this mess.  

If, after 30 games we are still in the drop zone then the brutal truth is that we will deserve relegation.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 56
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 3, 2021, 2:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from aldi_01
The more one thinks about it, furloughing the groundsman, Covid contracts, the constant negative rhetoric the more one believes the club never wanted the season to start.

Under the previous regime I think, even if it meant getting relegated, they’d have been happy to see the season curtailed. I’m not sure why but everything seems to have been set up that way.

It won’t be popular but regardless of the so called cases rising and the like, continually cancelling or suspending things can’t continue forever. Surely at some point a decision has to be made to just push on through.

Granted, I’m fuming about the situation my school has been placed in, not so much the opening but the wider issue of mass testing, pressure on staff and pupils and so forth which may be clouding my judgement but it’s something we’ve got to think about.

If the season curtailed and PPG algorithm is used then we’re copulated and the only people responsible for that are the previous regime, Holloway and the players to some extent. Of course Holloway and Fenty et al will and would never admit that, there is zero accountability or responsibility from them for the mess but only they could be blamed.

Hurst is now facing his biggest challenge of his career and he’s well aware of that. I do believe he has the ability to alter things but equally, having Hurst in the conference isn’t a worry, he’s got the experience and perhaps it would provide him the chance for a relatively big clear out...

The biggest challenge of his career? I'd suggest that transforming the trajectory of former UEFA Cup winners, FA Cup winners and top division stalwarts fallen on hard times was a bigger challenge.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 56
diehardmariner
January 4, 2021, 10:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
This was always going to be a major risk.  A shortened season with greater chances of games getting called off due to the virus, especially once winter hit hard.

Added to this there's also the Euro's to follow in the summer as well, this could get really, really congested and messy.

Can't really see how the season can continue, we're going to be faced with situations where sides are having to play four games a week for a while just to get the season finished.  You always get one side who ends up playing catch-up due to cup runs etc. but already we're seeing a few sides looking at incredibly packed fixture lists.

Then of course there's simply the safety aspect of it.  At a time when our health services are beyond breaking point with the prospect of it getting worse, should we really be having large groups of 30+ people travelling several times a week to other parts of the country?
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 56
Poojah
January 4, 2021, 1:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
The first round of mandatory testing for all EFL clubs begin today. Given the number of postponements at the weekend without proactive testing in place, it's hard to envisage a scenario where there are significantly more games called off at the weekend.

Whether the EFL attempts to persevere in the hope that mandatory testing stems the spread, or whether that proves to be terminal, it's difficult to see things continuing into February as things stand.

I hope I'm wrong on that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 56
ska face
January 4, 2021, 1:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Hanson’s guaranteed to have it, if it gets him another week off. He’ll have the bubonic plague next.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 56
GollyGTFC
January 5, 2021, 9:57am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
I wasn't the only one on here who thought that a full League season was ambitious to the point of being naive. I can appreciate the reason for attempting it... Season Tickets prices based on 23 league matches etc...

I suggested on here, and I emailed the EFL, that L1 & L2 should have been split into North/South regions for 1 season only. Clubs would play the other 11 teams in their region twice (home & away) and the 12 teams in the opposite region once (6 at home & 6 away). That would have made a 34 league game season and would have been far more likely to be completed than attempting a full 46 match season with 5 less weeks in the season & far more games likely to be postponed than the usual amount caused by winter weather.

It was probably stupid to play the EFL Trophy early in the season. Those match days should probably have been used to prioritise League matches. The EFL Trophy could have been penciled in for midweeks starting in January with the option of cancelling the tournament for 1 season depending on the situation and fixture pile-up when we got to January.

The really big problem is that the Premier League will finish on time and the EFL has to stay aligned with them.

We are in the fortunate position that we have played all the games we should have by now. Lots of clubs aren't in that position and it will only get worse for everyone.

There are 24 match days left with the regular season due to finish on Saturday 8th May. Of those match days there are 17 Saturday fixtures, 2 Easter weekend games (Good Friday & Easter Monday & 5 Tuesday night matches.

I think a good idea would be for the final 3 of those Tuesday night matches in L1 & L2 (2nd March, 9th March & 20th April) to all rescheduled for Saturday 15th, 22nd & 29th May. That would leave every midweek in March, April & May available for rearranged matches and to catch-up with all the matches we are likely to lose in the next 6-7 weeks.

The play-offs could be shortened to one off Semi-Finals with home advantage for the 2 highest finishing teams (so 4th & 5th in League 2). That way the Play-off Semi Finals could possibly be played on Tuesday 1st June (L2) & Wednesday 2nd June (L1) and the Finals (not at Wembley due to Euro 2020) could take place on Saturday 5th June (L2) & Saturday 6th June (L1) so that they are done before the Euros start on Friday 11th June.

But if you think the EFL have problems look at the National League. Dover have only played 10 league matches (out of 44) and they played 7 of those in October. Their regular season is already planned to run to Saturday 29th May, but there's realistically no prospect whatsoever of them finishing the season.

The probably needs to be a discussion between the various stakeholders to determine what the EFL would constitute as an acceptable "Full" National League season so that promotion & relegation between the EFL & National League can take place. I'm all for there being a regular flow of clubs between "the 92" and "the pyramid", but I don't think you could justify 2 teams coming up from the National League if they only get around 25-30 of their matches in. Last season most teams had played 36 or 37 matches.

Don't be surprised if the EFL clubs don't vote that the EFL season (L1 & L2) has to be completed in full or the season will be voided. That way the EFL would be able to say to the National League that they have to set the same standard (i.e. Full completion of season by middle of June)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 55 - 56
ginnywings
January 5, 2021, 3:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Record number of weekly positive covid tests in the Prem. Can't imagine it to be any better, and possibly worse, the lower down the leagues you go.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55540397
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Quest season could be abandoned in l1 and l2

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.