Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC mojo back!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 317 Guests

GTFC mojo back!

This thread currently has 3,195 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
UTMariners
December 31, 2020, 7:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +424
Gold Stars: 6
Over these last couple of days I've had the realisation just how disillusioned and apathetic I had become about town. I started watching town in the late 80s under Buckley and felt town would be an addiction for life, but bit by bit over recent years I think I distanced myself emotionally as I begun to realise that we would would continue to lurch from one disaster to the next under Fenty and we would never have a club I could be truly proud of. The continuous string of defensive/aggressive statements which came out the club, not to mention the Matt Dean stuff just wore me down. When I realised a few days ago it was possible Fenty might be on his way, I felt excited like I hadn't in so long. I need to pinch myself that we are so close to being rid of him now, and am massively excited by the consortium and Hurst's appointment; I know he wouldn't have touched us again under Fenty and wants to be at a club where he feels he can make genuine progress.  I would usually be very cautious about new owners but knowing there are locals involved who know how to run a business makes me massively excited.  After such a excrement year I cant help but feel massive positivity. Sorry if I sound like an overexcited kid at Christmas.
Here's to 2021! UTFM

"My love, my heart, my soul, my life.  My beloved Club Grimsby."

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
KingstonMariner
December 31, 2020, 7:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Well said.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
livvo
December 31, 2020, 8:54pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 6
We've been at the beginning of many false dawns in the past, and I will back this new beginning just like I did it's predecessors.  TOWN
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
grimsby pete
December 31, 2020, 9:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
I have always been positive when we get a new manager.

BUT

This time I am more optimistic because we have forward thing owners.

Up the mariners !!!!!

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
hheh2
December 31, 2020, 9:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Will still take time but at least we are now in safe safe hands with owners with their heads screwed on

+Now we actually have an assistant manager again!

Hopefully the new board realises we need more coaches we should be a professional outfit!

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
January 1, 2021, 2:26am
Guest User
Quoted from UTMariners
Over these last couple of days I've had the realisation just how disillusioned and apathetic I had become about town. I started watching town in the late 80s under Buckley and felt town would be an addiction for life, but bit by bit over recent years I think I distanced myself emotionally as I begun to realise that we would would continue to lurch from one disaster to the next under Fenty and we would never have a club I could be truly proud of. The continuous string of defensive/aggressive statements which came out the club, not to mention the Matt Dean stuff just wore me down. When I realised a few days ago it was possible Fenty might be on his way, I felt excited like I hadn't in so long. I need to pinch myself that we are so close to being rid of him now, and am massively excited by the consortium and Hurst's appointment; I know he wouldn't have touched us again under Fenty and wants to be at a club where he feels he can make genuine progress.  I would usually be very cautious about new owners but knowing there are locals involved who know how to run a business makes me massively excited.  After such a excrement year I cant help but feel massive positivity. Sorry if I sound like an overexcited kid at Christmas.
Here's to 2021! UTFM

I'm the same tbh. That emotion of "feeling good about Town" has returned. I'd forgotten what it felt like, it's been a stranger for so long...
Reply: 5 - 18
Rick12
January 1, 2021, 10:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from UTMariners
When I realised a few days ago it was possible Fenty might be on his way, I felt excited like I hadn't in so long. I need to pinch myself that we are so close to being rid of him now, and am massively excited by the consortium and Hurst's appointment; I know he wouldn't have touched us again under Fenty and wants to be at a club where he feels he can make genuine progress.
Nice message but football is ultimately business. Had Paul Hurst done well at Ipswich he would of still been there and not touched us with a barge pole. All market forces at the end of the day. Same with the players as well. If there any good they wouldn't be playing for us but be where the real money is eg championship/premiership.

Management/players come and go but true fans always stay.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
January 1, 2021, 11:14am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Rick12
Nice message but football is ultimately business

No it isn't. It's this mantra that has ruined the game in my opinion. This idea that football is somehow a business like any other and that it should be run like a business, by business people. The game dominated by big money, tv deals, advertising, who owns what etc. It's not football, it's not why we watch and support.

Football is love, it's passion, it's fans and camaraderie, it's floodlit grounds on a freezing Tuesday night, local derbies, terrible defeats, Wembley visits. Football is about leaving a ground on a Saturday afternoon knowing that you enjoyed the game and the atmosphere and that you can't wait to be back again. The sooner we get away from business and back to the game the better it will be.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
Rick12
January 1, 2021, 11:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

No it isn't. It's this mantra that has ruined the game in my opinion. This idea that football is somehow a business like any other and that it should be run like a business, by business people. The game dominated by big money, tv deals, advertising, who owns what etc. It's not football, it's not why we watch and support.

Football is love, it's passion, it's fans and camaraderie, it's floodlit grounds on a freezing Tuesday night, local derbies, terrible defeats, Wembley visits. Football is about leaving a ground on a Saturday afternoon knowing that you enjoyed the game and the atmosphere and that you can't wait to be back again. The sooner we get away from business and back to the game the better it will be.

I agree in part but at professional level money rules. Your family is the one thats going to come first not the club. As noted if your near the top of the hierarchy in terms of ability your going to go where the money is eg Ronaldo at  Real Madrid .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
ginnywings
January 1, 2021, 11:26am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548

Well said. I think JF and chums forgot that football is supposed to be entertainment. It's all well and good having balanced books but not to the detriment of all else.

If you get it right on the pitch, the rest takes care of itself, and JF never seemed to grasp that concept. Relying on football fortune isn't the best way to run things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC mojo back!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.