Jarmo.Is.God
December 31, 2020, 8:15am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Garth

The thing about Holloway that I'm still smarting about was,  he falsely conned us into thinking that we were unbelievable lucky to have him in our presence, as a non quitter, hardworking loyal guy who had fallen in love with the idea of taking us fantastic supporters to heights we could only have dreamed of before he arrived on the scene.
He then shoved excrement into our besotted faces by signing inferior players, playing them out of position, loosing more games than winning and finally slinking off before he got sacked leaving us in the mire

How many times in the summer did he hint at some 'great signings' that he's working on....

How many of them did we see, or how many actually existed?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 149
Bigdog
December 31, 2020, 8:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Strange feeling waking up to a new day and thiinking for the first time in over a decade that the future of our club is in safe hands both on and off the pitch. A lot of work to do with league position and building a new infrastructure, but I firmly believe the right people are in the right positions at the right time. Our stadium, training facilities and modus operandi might be all very shabby at the minute, and we might be only 90th out of 92 in the Football League and in need of a playing squad overhaul, but I feel strangely content in believing my hopes and dreams for GTFC are at last fully justified and achievable. What a difference a week in football can make..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 149
aldi_01
December 31, 2020, 8:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
A lot of posts about Holloway and how he shafted us and it’s hard to disagree. I guess Covid will forever be his excuse but in truth he just padded out the squad with bullshit. He told us we were well run, he said he’d be honest with fans...if the board were forcing his hand why not be honest and call them out? Or why not just work a little harder and still not waste the entire budget on Poundland players.

He duped us and whilst a few weren’t ever truly happy with his appointment, many were taken in and he was full of bluster when in truth his playing style wasn’t any better than anything else we’ve seen and clearly money was a motivator for him, not something he portrayed when he arrived.

Hopefully the club is in a position to finally move forward, that doesn’t always mean huge cash injections but just people with ideas and a forward thinking mindset. Hurst coming back will put a few fans off, much like some of us never wanted Holloway. He will need our support and looking at the squad, a lot of patience.

Time will tell long term whether it’s a good appointment but it’s happened so we need to support it. It can’t be worse than the last 4 years...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 149
chipsandgravy
December 31, 2020, 9:38am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from aldi_01
A lot of posts about Holloway and how he shafted us and it’s hard to disagree. I guess Covid will forever be his excuse but in truth he just padded out the squad with bullshit. He told us we were well run, he said he’d be honest with fans...if the board were forcing his hand why not be honest and call them out? Or why not just work a little harder and still not waste the entire budget on Poundland players.

He duped us and whilst a few weren’t ever truly happy with his appointment, many were taken in and he was full of bluster when in truth his playing style wasn’t any better than anything else we’ve seen and clearly money was a motivator for him, not something he portrayed when he arrived.

Hopefully the club is in a position to finally move forward, that doesn’t always mean huge cash injections but just people with ideas and a forward thinking mindset. Hurst coming back will put a few fans off, much like some of us never wanted Holloway. He will need our support and looking at the squad, a lot of patience.

Time will tell long term whether it’s a good appointment but it’s happened so we need to support it. It can’t be worse than the last 4 years...

I have to be honest and say I was one of those who were duped. I also have to be honest and say that I am still reeling that (1) it didn't work (2) so so much BS and (3) the way he left and what he left us with. I was so excited by his appointment that I actually believed in a new dawn.
I feel more practical now with both the takeover and the appointment of Hurst/Doig. The new regime is a shot in the arm in that they will bring in fresh ideas and a new way of working. Hurst was most probably our best option and I liked the way he talked in his interview. Wont ever let myself get taken in again though like I was with Holloway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 149
Poojah
December 31, 2020, 9:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from GrimRob

Holloway hardly made any good signings. Hurst hardly made any bad ones. Most of my favourite players of the last 15 years Hurst signed.

I think there’s an element of rose tinted specs to suggest that he hardly made any bad ones. Anthony Straker anyone? He was here for five years, so there were inevitably going to be some duffers along the way.

However, your point is a good one. Off the top of my head, Hurst signed Macca, Pearson, Hearn, Disley, Townsend, LJL, Arnold, Magnay, Toto, Gowling, Bogle, Amond, Nolan, Henderson etc. There are loads more, and even if one or two of those were slightly divisive at the time I think it’s fair to say most of us have a slew of happy memories of and a real affinity with those players.

Who, since he left, would fit in with that group of players? We’ve had some half decent players, the likes of Hendrie and the odd decent loanee, but those players were on a different level in so many ways.

Tough ask to repeat that, particularly a higher level, but you’d have to have more confidence in him to make a sign a player than the last sycophantic clown, surely?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 149
GrimRob
December 31, 2020, 9:55am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Poojah

I think there’s an element of rose tinted specs to suggest that he hardly made any bad ones. Anthony Straker anyone? He was here for five years, so there were inevitably going to be some duffers along the way.

However, your point is a good one. Off the top of my head, Hurst signed Macca, Pearson, Hearn, Disley, Townsend, LJL, Arnold, Magnay, Toto, Gowling, Bogle, Amond, Nolan, Henderson etc. There are loads more, and even if one or two of those were slightly divisive at the time I think it’s fair to say most of us have a slew of happy memories of and a real affinity with those players.

Who, since he left, would fit in with that group of players? We’ve had some half decent players, the likes of Hendrie and the odd decent loanee, but those players were on a different level in so many ways.

Tough ask to repeat that, particularly a higher level, but you’d have to have more confidence in him to make a sign a player than the last sycophantic clown, surely?

Since he left there's been Pollock, Vernam, Dembele, but even the last two's stars shone only briefly here

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 125 - 149
Jarmo.Is.God
December 31, 2020, 10:06am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from GrimRob

Since he left there's been Pollock, Vernam, Dembele, but even the last two's stars shone only briefly here

I was a big fan of Vernam, even before he ended up on loan at non-league, you could see a good player in him.

the only thing is, he shone at the end of last season, but is a league 2 player for sure, i mean, look at Burton, bottom and 6 points from safety already...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 149
Bigdog
December 31, 2020, 10:13am
Whiskey Drinker
"Players since our return to the Football League that are still playing" GTFC team.. If only..

Henderson

Hendrie
Pollock
Davis
Townsend

Dembele
Nolan
Hessenthaler
Vernam

Bogle
Amond
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 149
Poojah
December 31, 2020, 10:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Bigdog
"Players since our return to the Football League" GTFC team.. If only..

Henderson

Hendrie
Pollock
Davis
Townsend

Dembele
Nolan
Hessenthler
Vernam

Bogle
Amond

A solid looking team, only Townsend and Amond never played league football for us.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 149
Bigdog
December 31, 2020, 10:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

A solid looking team, only Townsend and Amond never played league football for us.

Buggger. Andrew to replace Townsend and no one I can think of to replace Podge then..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 149
15 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst and Doig have rejoined us

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.