Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Holloway resigns  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 114 Guests

Holloway resigns  (merged)

This thread currently has 23,733 views. Print
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
December 23, 2020, 10:35am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,474
Gold Stars: 115
Don't think his heart has been in it this season. He didn't want to restart football and we made a hash of the preseason, possibly because he was poorly prepared.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 80 - 178
ginnywings
December 23, 2020, 10:37am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Ian Hollow go your own Way.

Next!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 178
davmariner
December 23, 2020, 10:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,987
Gold Stars: 79
Good news. Fresh start needed across the board.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 178
Poojah
December 23, 2020, 10:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,067
Gold Stars: 1,536
All very predictable given his statement last week. I'm not quite sure what the sub-plot is here, but I'm fairly confident that the truth lies somewhere in between him having simply bitten off more than he can chew and the outing of the Alex May deal putting paid to a deal which would have seen him benefit financially. I'm not really a conspiracy theorist, but the fact he came here when he did seemed odd at the time and so I'm inclined to believe that there may be something in the latter.

Ultimately, it's a convenient narrative that allows him to walk away with his reputation intact in the eyes of the wider footballing world. I am not prepared to forget however that he came here full of bluster and potentially on false pretences, and left the club with a seriously underwhelming, unbalanced, oversized squad bereft of confidence and facing a very real threat of relegation back into the non-league abyss.

That's his legacy for me. A man who I had great respect for even before he joined our club just lost all of it. He is no higher in my estimation now than Mike Newell, and that is some achievement.

Whatever you make of his resignation statement, he is not telling the whole truth.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 178
devs
December 23, 2020, 10:39am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Sad news in many ways
So full of optimism when he walked in the club
He has not handled Covid situation well - on any count, including his mental health IMO

It may be a cop out - and his mixed message have not helped things; Dec 17 he is going nowhere, played better last night, beat Scunny and now resigns

With Fenty now selling - great news - his position would be a helluva lot more precarious; I guess he wouldn't have been a director and perhaps not on the board?

New owners - great news... no least cos it can't be any worse than current shitstorm

I was a '50/50' person on Fenty for many years (who else would come in etc) - but totally changed after events of last few weeks; he's poison and we need a fresh start

New manager? Depends on levels of investment...the more you have the better quality you get
But we are still GTFC - not exactly a thrilling prospect (no new stadium on horizon, delapidated ground, average facilties etc)

Paul Hurst would be good - I am 99% certain we wouldn't go down; Alexander is good at this level
Not pretty footy though from either...but perhaps, who cares?

It's a sad day - for all the promise and hope fans had when he walked in the door - but taken as a whole (Fenty/new owners etc) it's a great day IMO

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 178
Sigone
December 23, 2020, 10:40am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Some of you wont like it but I think we need someone in that knows the club/area..they wont have time to put their feet under the desk they have to get going straight away, this is such a crucial period for us and the right and quick decisions are needed.

Feel so betrayed by I.H not surprised but betrayed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 178
immariner
December 23, 2020, 10:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,420
Gold Stars: 62
'I'm all about openness and honesty, me'.

'The potential new owners contacted me, that's unacceptable'.

What the fukk is he on about?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 178
Swansea_Mariner
December 23, 2020, 10:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,482
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from immariner
'I'm all about openness and honesty, me'.

'The potential new owners contacted me, that's unacceptable'.

What the fukk is he on about?

This. Makes no sense whatsoever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 178
Maringer
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,741
Gold Stars: 189
I suspect that things might have been different if it hadn't been for the pandemic.

No doubt that Holloway signed some exciting players initially and we looked like we had the basis for a good team when the pandemic hit.

Since then, he's not dealt with the situation well as our complete lack of preparedness for the season shows. I suspect he over-estimated his own ability to cobble together a team with the young, inexperienced signings from non-league, the young, inexperienced loan players and the senior players who haven't spent much time fit this season. I can see why they were cautious when trying to build a squad, but it just hasn't worked out. I'd imagine it would be difficult to attract players to the area given the pandemic conditions - "Come and sign for us. We can't pay you much, you won't be able to go out and make many friends, there aren't many attractions and everywhere is likely to be shut in any case."

I'd imagine this season would have been a different prospect if we'd kept Vernam and Hessenthaler as those two alone would have done enough to help win us a good few points.

Not surprised that he's gone as he's sounded distinctly wobbly in recent weeks. The good news is that we have the chance for a clean slate if the club does finally get new owners. You'd imagine that any potential manager looking for a job would have kept his eyes on what was happening and will already be looking at which players are likely to be available during the transfer window.

We've got a weak squad and are in poor form, but a couple of reasonable signings and the return of one or two players from injury ought to be enough to see us get a mid-table finish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 178
SomeSanity
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
Of course, the new lot were going to get in touch. Firstly, If I was a director, I'd want to know what the new owners' plans and vision for the club is.

Secondly, as Manager I'd want a 'this is what I need to turn things around' chat....  There is nothing wrong with a little forward planning.

Many have been saying for weeks that he has been looking for a way out and I suspect this was the opportune moment for him..

On the flipside, this is shite timing for us, needing a manager for our mist important transfer window in years,

FFS Ian.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 178
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Holloway resigns  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.