What else can he do

This thread currently has 4,488 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
earwigo
December 9, 2020, 12:43pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +101
What else can Ollie do. He has a squad of 28 ish ( I don’t know exactly) inexpensive and inexperienced players which he has to play obviously they came cheap. People call for a small squad of experienced and quality players. These players will not come to the club with the possibility of a 25% pay cut in their contract. (They don’t need to.)   These orders come from the top as always and we can all see it’s killing our club. Can anyone compile a list of all the good decisions the top table has made in the last 18 years for me there’s only one I can think of and that’s recruiting our latest manager. I say stick with Ollie he wants the best players he can attract here but if you put breadcrumbs on the bird table you won’t attract a golden eagle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Ashby mariner
December 9, 2020, 2:03pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
The budget this year must be half that of last season looking at last season you could see the kind of players Holloway brought in  Glennon, Benson,  Clarke ect. Good quality players for this level. I think even Holloway is  probably taken back by how inempt some of his signings are.  If we can stay up with this squad and then ship most of them out. Has I guess not many will be under contract in the summer. Then let's see what Holloway can do with a half decent budget. If Fenty gives him a half decent budget that is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
arryarryarry
December 9, 2020, 2:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Ashby mariner
The budget this year must be half that of last season looking at last season you could see the kind of players Holloway brought in  Glennon, Benson,  Clarke ect. Good quality players for this level. I think even Holloway is  probably taken back by how inempt some of his signings are. If we can stay up with this squad and then ship most of them out. Has I guess not many will be under contract in the summer. Then let's see what Holloway can do with a half decent budget. If Fenty gives him a half decent budget that is.

Are you suggesting he didn't do any checks or due diligence on any of these signings?
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
Boris Johnson
December 9, 2020, 3:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from arryarryarry

Are you suggesting he didn't do any checks or due diligence on any of these signings?

I doubt very much if he saw many of them play..so I am
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
NorfolkImp
December 9, 2020, 3:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from arryarryarry

I think there-in lies one of the biggest differences between our 2 clubs ... due dilligence.

Imps have Jez George who does all the background work on players before even offering them to Appleton. The fringe players who played at Shrewsbury last night were dynamic and eager to impress (Elbouzedi, Roughan, Howarth Melbourne etc) without virtually any football league experience between them ... the average age of the team was 21 btw.

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
Henryscat
December 9, 2020, 3:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Quoted from NorfolkImp

I think there-in lies one of the biggest differences between our 2 clubs ... due dilligence.

Imps have Jez George who does all the background work on players before even offering them to Appleton. The fringe players who played at Shrewsbury last night were dynamic and eager to impress (Elbouzedi, Roughan, Howarth Melbourne etc) without virtually any football league experience between them ... the average age of the team was 21 btw.

We’re all wallowing in self pity right now and don’t need you rubbing it in.

Are your own boards that excrement you have to come on here?

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
arryarryarry
December 9, 2020, 3:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Henryscat

I think that was a sensible comment. I don't mind other club's fans coming on here, I have also posted on other clubs forums from time to time.

I don't even mind the sad urine takers, I get a good laugh out of some of them.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
NorfolkImp
December 9, 2020, 3:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Henryscat

Commiserate yourself in the fact that message board's weren't around when Buckley was in charge first time around ... you'd have had a field day  

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
Henryscat
December 9, 2020, 3:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Commiserate yourself in the fact that message board's weren't around when Buckley was in charge first time around ... you'd have had a field day  

Did your club exist then?!

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
ginnywings
December 9, 2020, 4:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
We have recently acquired someone to do the background work on players. Let's see what he comes up with in Jan. It wasn't that long ago that Lincoln were floundering at the wrong end of the Conference. They went into the covid crisis in rude health, squad wise and financially. Things can and do change quickly in football.

We got hit while just starting to look half decent, and the squad got decimated. We now need to re-group and start again. It hasn't been the best of starts shall we say, but it can be turned around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What else can he do

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.