8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
November 8, 2020, 6:48am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
Result to one side I really enjoyed the game yesterday. Its the best I've seen Grimsby play. I'm one of these people who'd rather see us get the ball down and move it around at pace. The commentators where very complimentary of us. If you gett chance watch the game back and try to be a neutral.
We worked hard, zipped the ball around, the speed and movement at times was brilliant.
We created a few chances and on another day a few of the over hit balls would have played the likes of Green in. I'm more inclined and tempted to pay for more games because of the way we aree trying to play than if we'd gone their and played sladee hoof ball and won 1-0.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 73
realist
November 8, 2020, 8:05am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
Let’s be honest, we were flipping shite, absolute male masturbation. To be soundly beaten by a non league Is embarrassing. Wish people would stop defending the indefensible,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 73
Gtfc8279
November 8, 2020, 8:20am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +23
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Okay, so we get done by a team in a division lower than ourselves and the fishy goes into meltdown overdrive.
When will people get a grip and see the bigger picture.?
We have an extremely experienced manager who's currently trying to get a squad of players, who are still getting to know each other and adapt to a style of play they've never played before and will need time and patience before we see the benefits.
This season was always about transition, it's been hectic with a compressed time table and games coming thick n fast.
I for one am truly confident Holloway is getting it right in his methodology and in time we will be a force to be reckoned with in this league and will be one if the better "footballing" teams,!...
So get off the negativity horse and try to see the bigger picture...

A manager losing it, is past it, signed a load of absolute excrement players and lied to the fans about putting in 100k, turns out it’s on £5
There I’ve corrected it for you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 73
louth_in_the_south
November 8, 2020, 8:26am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
I may be completely wrong but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him make a complete U turn at the end of the season and walk .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 73
aldi_01
November 8, 2020, 8:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
This is always funny though isn’t it. People get overly excited, they’re told to calm down, people get frustrated and they’re told they’re too negative.

The fact is, we’ll before Covid the club has shown little attempt at progressing, they’ve shown no intent to invest and now, even fans have been happy to accept standing on the apex of nothing. Let’s face it, if this was a normal season we’d still have the same rhetoric. We’d still have the same people saying it’s a work in progress and we need to be realistic...but we’ve had that every year since we came up. We learned nothing during those years on the conference and we’ve learned nothing since coming up.

We’re happy to exist, the board are happy to turn a small profit whilst there’s little investment and fans are swallowing it. Now Covid has come along it works even better.

Holloway could be a decent manager for us, but even before Covid, we didn’t look great, albeit with a squad that wasn’t really his players which does give him some leeway.

We’ve clearly gone for quantity over quality regarding the squad and we’ve almost become a little arrogant at the fact we’ve got Covid contracts (do we actually know if others have similar things but just didn’t go about it publicly), arrogant in that we think we’ve done the right thing again. Let’s face it, there’s a club just down the road who were in a worse position than us, now they’re miles in front and even our fans make snide comments...it has to be jealousy.

The negativity isn’t because we’ve lost to a side that can barely snatch a shot in the division below but because once again, even through the excuses, what the manager is saying never seems to be fully addressed or worked on. It’s not just a reaction to one game but several, over a period of time going back before this season even started.

Holloway getting the job at town suites both parties and let’s face it, in someways, once news got out that Fenty and Holloway had met, Fenty had his arm twisted but knew it would get people off his back potentially. Holloway wanted a job, we needed a manager that was either known or different. In reality though, whilst many will point the finger at Covid being an excuse, we’re no better than we were under those previous managers. As I said, Covid will be the excuse but other teams have done alright, other teams, with their backs to the walls have done alright and assembled decent squads.

Hopefully the difficulties in being our manager and all that comes with that, uninspiring board, questionable facilities, lack of progress, geographical position and so on will make Holloway realise he should be more guarded with his comments...I’d imagine his phone did most certainly not melt with players wanting to join...

Time will tell I suppose but moaning about people moaning is ironic don’t you think? Everyone has an opinion and they’re entitled to that. Makes you think though, if many are happy to simply exist and be financially sound; whatever that means, what’s the point? What’s the point in trying to win games? We’ve proven as a club that just ticking over with little investment still turns profit and means we’re allegedly well run...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 73
moosey_club
November 8, 2020, 9:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
We all love the club, we are happy even euphoric when we win, mardy or down right depressed when we lose...this has always been the way since the club existed and is mirrored across every other professional and amateur football team supporters.

Trouble is nowadays those emotions are available to be captured forever on platforms such as these and social media. In the past these emotions were played out on the walk or drive home, maybe at work come Monday morning and then gone....until the next game.

I feel slightly less p!ssed off than I did yesterday during and after the game and while trying to remain objective about the budget / covid impacts on the squad that wont stop me being realistic about what I see.

The following is not negativity , it's what I see ..

Playing from the back handed them the win yesterday and has cost us goals in other games.

Our lack of quality in the final third is telling. Not just yesterday but over the last 3 or 4 games we have hardly mustered more than a couple efforts on goal despite having upwards of 65% possession.

We can pass the ball one dimensionally really well when not under pressure. When pressed hard we tend to capitulate and the passing collapses.

We are awful at set pieces and throw ins.

Now while I will say i would prefer to see the team playing some passing football it has to be with purpose and has to be productive, our current / plan approach just isnt.

It has been noticeable that we havnt pressed the opposition as hard in the last few weeks as we were earlier in the season, Orient/Cheltenham we were all over them high up the pitch, we have now dropped off, therefore our possession generally starts deeper in our half and combined with the slower passing play the opposition have plenty of time to reset.

Surely the club can go back through the games and click up everytime we gift the opposition a chance on goal from playing at the back, then note how many times it has created a chance for us.....assess then is it worth it ??

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 73
MuddyWaters
November 8, 2020, 10:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from moosey_club
We all love the club, we are happy even euphoric when we win, mardy or down right depressed when we lose...this has always been the way since the club existed and is mirrored across every other professional and amateur football team supporters.

Trouble is nowadays those emotions are available to be captured forever on platforms such as these and social media. In the past these emotions were played out on the walk or drive home, maybe at work come Monday morning and then gone....until the next game.

I feel slightly less p!ssed off than I did yesterday during and after the game and while trying to remain objective about the budget / covid impacts on the squad that wont stop me being realistic about what I see.

The following is not negativity , it's what I see ..

Playing from the back handed them the win yesterday and has cost us goals in other games.

Our lack of quality in the final third is telling. Not just yesterday but over the last 3 or 4 games we have hardly mustered more than a couple efforts on goal despite having upwards of 65% possession.

We can pass the ball one dimensionally really well when not under pressure. When pressed hard we tend to capitulate and the passing collapses.

We are awful at set pieces and throw ins.

Now while I will say i would prefer to see the team playing some passing football it has to be with purpose and has to be productive, our current / plan approach just isnt.

It has been noticeable that we havnt pressed the opposition as hard in the last few weeks as we were earlier in the season, Orient/Cheltenham we were all over them high up the pitch, we have now dropped off, therefore our possession generally starts deeper in our half and combined with the slower passing play the opposition have plenty of time to reset.

Surely the club can go back through the games and click up everytime we gift the opposition a chance on goal from playing at the back, then note how many times it has created a chance for us.....assess then is it worth it ??

Not one for making excuses but it’s pretty clear that Tilley and Edwards are sorely missed. The pressing seems far less effective without those two.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 73
promotion plaice
November 8, 2020, 10:07am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not one for making excuses but it’s pretty clear that Tilley and Edwards are sorely missed. The pressing seems far less effective without those two.

Couldn't agree more, for me Edwards is our best player, big miss at the moment.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 73
pontoonlew
November 8, 2020, 10:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Edwards is a massive miss imo but the back up options for him aren’t even Non League level for me.

After COVID is over it’s time we started to invest some of the money we’ve seemingly saved over the years because we’ve been stagnant for years now. Watching Town is an utterly joyless experience at the minute and there’s no excuse for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 73
November 8, 2020, 11:03am
Guest User
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Okay, so we get done by a team in a division lower than ourselves and the fishy goes into meltdown overdrive.
When will people get a grip and see the bigger picture.?
We have an extremely experienced manager who's currently trying to get a squad of players, who are still getting to know each other and adapt to a style of play they've never played before and will need time and patience before we see the benefits.
This season was always about transition, it's been hectic with a compressed time table and games coming thick n fast.
I for one am truly confident Holloway is getting it right in his methodology and in time we will be a force to be reckoned with in this league and will be one if the better "footballing" teams,!...
So get off the negativity horse and try to see the bigger picture...

100% agree!

Reply: 39 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So sick of negativity

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.