Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best performance from opposition player at BP
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 241 Guests

Best performance from opposition player at BP

This thread currently has 5,971 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
September 1, 2020, 7:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
I was there to see David Cross score 4 goals in the early 80s. He also scored 4 goals against Spurs the next season, or season after.

At a lower level,  thanks to a poster above for highlighting a name that I could not recall:  Kevin Betsy of High Wycombe.  A good but annoying player for being so effective against us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 66
It Bites
September 1, 2020, 8:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,257
Gold Stars: 266
Steve McNulty playing for Luton on a Tuesday night in the Conference at BP . His reading of the game and the timing of the tackles were Futch esk
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 66
Poojah
September 1, 2020, 9:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from It Bites
Steve McNulty playing for Luton on a Tuesday night in the Conference at BP . His reading of the game and the timing of the tackles were Futch esk

I've never liked the bloke but respect the footballing brain he clearly has - he's schooled us on many an occassion. If he'd have lived his life like a nun, I'm adamaent he could have played in the second tier at the very minimum. He was on the books at Liverpool from the age of 7 until he was 20, so clearly he had some raw talent.

Incidentally, he won promotion to League One twice in his career but was never trusted to play a game there - presumably because the physical demands were deemed to be too much at that level. Not so much a wasted career, but one that could have been so much better. Doner kebabs can be more expensive than you think...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 66
Youngy
September 1, 2020, 10:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,675
Gold Stars: 9
It pains me to say it but Lee Hughes used to come here, get  a shed load of abuse and always came up smelling of roses. He was way too good for League 2 when he was playing for Notts County

Michael Bridges when he played for Carlisle was the same, way too good for that level. Absolutely ran the show partnering Karl Hawley up top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 66
livosnose
September 2, 2020, 1:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,176
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Kris2
Ian Bennett with Birmingham stands out in my mind, recall a draw at home in 99 where we could have scored 3 more but he kept everything we threw at him out. Always thought Darren Eadie at Norwich played well against us,kinda surprised he didn't go on to bigger things sooner than he did though had injury issues by then and retired early.

Bennett now keeper coach with Warnock at the Boro

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 66
scrumble
September 2, 2020, 2:04am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +986
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Youngy
It pains me to say it but Lee Hughes used to come here, get  a shed load of abuse and always came up smelling of roses. .

Steve Claridge was the same. Always got a excrement ton of crap from the pontoon and always played a blinder against us because of it.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 66
gobby
September 2, 2020, 7:18am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Darren Anderton springs to mind was it with Bournemouth around 06/07? In very recent times, Morton for Northampton was outstanding last season. 😎
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 66
forza ivano
September 2, 2020, 7:55am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from gobby
Darren Anderton springs to mind was it with Bournemouth around 06/07? In very recent times, Morton for Northampton was outstanding last season. 😎
UTMM

Talking of northampton, I saw that their really good centre half (think he was the captain) has joined Brentford
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 66
Youngy
September 2, 2020, 8:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,675
Gold Stars: 9
Michael Owen tore us a new un' when he bagged his first hat trick against us. Poor Mark Lever was pulled all over the place. There probably wasn't a more exciting player in the world at that time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 66
jamesgtfc
September 2, 2020, 8:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from forza ivano

Talking of northampton, I saw that their really good centre half (think he was the captain) has joined Brentford

It's Charlie Goode who is ex Scunthorpe.

The season before he came to BP and played right back with a mask protecting his nose. He kept moving it all game because he couldn't see and played awful.

Surprised he's made it that high but he's strong, got a good throw on him and Brentford like to develop players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best performance from opposition player at BP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.