Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best performance from opposition player at BP
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 288 Guests

Best performance from opposition player at BP

This thread currently has 5,972 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
August 31, 2020, 9:19pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,298
Gold Stars: 127
In the 80s Fulham won 4-0 at B.P. thanks in large part to a striker called Gordon Davies who tore us apart.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 66
Gilbertswand
August 31, 2020, 9:45pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +184
Gold Stars: 21
Mark Gall for Maidstone against us at home...scored 2 and won the game ...89
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 66
Heisenberg
August 31, 2020, 9:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from ginnywings
Ray Houghton for Fulham ran us ragged. Robert Prosinecki, just oozed class. Craig Johnston and Paul Walsh for Liverpool reserves, when reserve games were high quality. David Cross and a few others for West Ham when they took apart the excellent team we had at the time. Two young keepers on the up, Joe Hart and David James. Recently, the young Exeter striker whose name escapes me. Scored a cracker and soon moved on from them.

Loads over the years, too many to mention.

Jayden Stockley?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 66
ginnywings
August 31, 2020, 9:51pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Heisenberg

Jayden Stockley?

It was Ollie Watkins as Old Codger posted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 66
Tommy
August 31, 2020, 10:17pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Ollie Watkins.

I remember a very young Jermaine Jenas having a great game for Forest against us and Joe Hart in goal for Shrewsbury.

Yeah i think Jenas played in the back 3 as a sweeper that day and completely dictated the play.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 66
Tommy
August 31, 2020, 10:20pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Eyal Berkovic.

For Blackburn when they beat us 4-1 at BP in 2001 (they were promoted that year with Matt Jansen scoring loads of goals). Berkovic was always a classy player but he ran the game against us. I've never seen a player have the ball so much. He was taking the ball everywhere and was way too good for the Championship.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 66
Heisenberg
August 31, 2020, 10:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

It was Ollie Watkins as Old Codger posted.

Oh right. Don’t think I saw that game. He’s the lad at Brentford (for now at least) who won Championship player of the year.

What did he do at BP that day?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 66
Heisenberg
August 31, 2020, 10:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
Eyal Berkovic.

For Blackburn when they beat us 4-1 at BP in 2001 (they were promoted that year with Matt Jansen scoring loads of goals). Berkovic was always a classy player but he ran the game against us. I've never seen a player have the ball so much. He was taking the ball everywhere and was way too good for the Championship.

That was a horrible game for us, made you realise the gulf between us and the big boys. They were brilliant.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 66
ginnywings
August 31, 2020, 10:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Heisenberg

Oh right. Don’t think I saw that game. He’s the lad at Brentford (for now at least) who won Championship player of the year.

What did he do at BP that day?

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiozXfshsMw
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 66
ex-merseymariner
September 1, 2020, 5:07am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Withnail
. Who's your stand out opposition player at the park?

This is more difficult than I thought it would be, the best performances I've seen against GTFC have been at away games (like michael owen hattrick).

In the Buckley first era, we competed with the best sides in what is now the championship, cant remember one player dominating us, although Andy Cole was lightning quick for Bristol City and Newcastle in the same season.  

I remember Kasey Keller around then having a cracking game for Millwall, enough for us to say, he was the best keeper we had seen for ages.

Similar time, stan collymore came to bp with forest and did notably little for a highly rated player.

The poster who mentioned Eidur Gudjohnsen, I saw his Bolton debut when living in the northwest, they had signed him from PSv I think after 12 months injured and he was so strong and direct and just impressive all round.

Hmmm  how many current premiership players will even have played at blundell park?

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best performance from opposition player at BP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.