Reply: 20 - 92
MuddyWaters
August 30, 2020, 10:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Experienced centre midfielder due to be announced imminently, I’m told.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 92
Heisenberg
August 30, 2020, 11:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Experienced centre midfielder due to be announced imminently, I’m told.

This is where Clifton’s futile allegiance to Wales will backfire on him, I’m afraid. I was told when Jolley was in charge that he was told he would not be considered for the 1st team if he went on Wales duty, which appalled me at the time, but I sort of get it now. As much as we love Harry, we need him more than Wales do, and this call up is not gonna help his career.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 92
marinerjase
August 30, 2020, 11:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,665
Gold Stars: 147
Absolutely no logic in that whatsoever. A call up won’t hinder/affect his career at all. He’ll get to spend time with diff people, management and players, most of which operate at a higher level. He’ll learn.

Be it here or elsewhere - he’ll develop. If it’s whilst with us - great. If it’s elsewhere - still great. Fact is he’s a Townplayer, come through the system - and a call up is only good for him and the club.

I’m bemused as to why anyone would think it’s a hindrance

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 92
Poojah
August 30, 2020, 11:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Heisenberg

This is where Clifton’s futile allegiance to Wales will backfire on him, I’m afraid. I was told when Jolley was in charge that he was told he would not be considered for the 1st team if he went on Wales duty, which appalled me at the time, but I sort of get it now. As much as we love Harry, we need him more than Wales do, and this call up is not gonna help his career.

Harry’s a big boy and entitled to make his own decisions. He can either aspire to play football at an international level or fear being dropped by his League Two club in his absence.

Which of those two attitudes do you think have made more successful people? Neither offer a guaranteed path to success, but I know what I’d want firing my belly.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 92
Heisenberg
August 30, 2020, 11:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Harry’s a big boy and entitled to make his own decisions. He can either aspire to play football at an international level or fear being dropped by his League Two club in his absence.

Which of those two attitudes do you think have made more successful people? Neither offer a guaranteed path to success, but I know what I’d want firing my belly.

If I was a player, I’d take the call up, no doubt. I’ve always felt that way about international football. But unless he pulls his socks up, he could be out of the league in a year. And so could we. I hope neither of those things happen, by the way.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 92
Poojah
August 30, 2020, 11:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Heisenberg

If I was a player, I’d take the call up, no doubt. I’ve always felt that way about international football.

So in a nutshell, you’d do exactly what you’ve just criticised Harry Clifton for doing. I don’t think I get football forums anymore.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 92
davmariner
August 31, 2020, 12:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,959
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Yet citeh want to sign Messi

35 y/o Tiago silva signs for Chelsea

Unless I’ve missed it, Pep and Lampard haven’t said that they’ll only sign players on the way up and won’t be bringing in players who are on the way down and likely to be earning less than in previous years. Merely pointing out an inconsistency in what Holloway said (if he were to sign Scannell).

And anyway, did you really just compare Scannell with Messi and Thiago Silva! Hardly an appropriate comparison given that both are/were still playing in the top flight. Compared to Scannell who has a bad injury record and is falling down the leagues like a lead balloon.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 92
mimma
August 31, 2020, 12:24am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
IH never said that he ONLY wants to sign young players to develop.

People on here take things too literally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 92
Heisenberg
August 31, 2020, 6:04am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

So in a nutshell, you’d do exactly what you’ve just criticised Harry Clifton for doing. I don’t think I get football forums anymore.

I would never give a player advice, and I am indeed a hypocrite on this point, I’m just saying it’s not helping town or his own career much, in my opinion. Although I could be wrong. I wouldn’t have thought anyone else, including managers, will have noticed that Harry, or anyone else for that matter, is in a Wales U21 squad.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 92
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sean Scannell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.