3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
paramariner
April 27, 2020, 12:07pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +197
Gold Stars: 8
Interesting article on the Telegraph site yesterday about a salary cap being introduced to the lower leagues, think a figure of 2 million per team/club was mentioned. The idea being to stop teams with rich backers ie Salford, paying way over the odds to get the best players. It was suggested that clubs would be fined £87,000? If they exceeded the cap, and the money from the fine would then be distributed among the other clubs.  Personally think this is a brilliant idea. Thoughts?
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
April 27, 2020, 12:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from paramariner
Interesting article on the Telegraph site yesterday about a salary cap being introduced to the lower leagues, think a figure of 2 million per team/club was mentioned. The idea being to stop teams with rich backers ie Salford, paying way over the odds to get the best players. It was suggested that clubs would be fined £87,000? If they exceeded the cap, and the money from the fine would then be distributed among the other clubs.  Personally think this is a brilliant idea. Thoughts?

It won't stop them overspending as 87K is nothing to them and less than 4K to us.

Much better to find them the same amount they have gone over the limit so if they spend 3 million they will pay a million fine. That might stop them.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
paramariner
April 27, 2020, 12:58pm
Beer Drinker
Yeah your probably right, but its at least a step in the right direction. Would imagine it would be frowned upon greatly by those at top of the F.A. If teams did it and damn the consequences though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
Abdul19
April 27, 2020, 12:59pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
I think if clubs have an owner that wants to spunk away (not through loans) his money on fourth division footballers, then fair enough. Any rules would be easy enough to find a way around anyway.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
paramariner
April 27, 2020, 1:17pm
Beer Drinker
But the thoughts are that if clubs overspend it puts pressure on other clubs to compete, who then run the risk of going under like Bury for instance if they don't have the likes of Beckham, Giggs and billionaires to back them.  Something has to be done or the leagues will lose quite a few members I believe, and it won't be long either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
louth_in_the_south
April 27, 2020, 1:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,705
Gold Stars: 96
If you go over your salary cap you’re deducted 20 points . That would make overspending completely pointless.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
psgmariner
April 27, 2020, 1:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Thought this was going to be about them removing the humps in the penalty areas.

Also if only the big teams can sign the best players it doesn't feel very fair to me.  

Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
MarinerDevil
April 27, 2020, 1:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
This is surely inevitable now for Leagues 1/2, we cannot go on as we did before.  I would even advocate it for the Premier League but there are too many powerful clubs with too much to lose.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
psgmariner
April 27, 2020, 1:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Quoted from MarinerDevil
This is surely inevitable now for Leagues 1/2, we cannot go on as we did before.  I would even advocate it for the Premier League but there are too many powerful clubs with too much to lose.  

Allowing everyone to spend whatever they want seems the fairest system to me.

Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
aldi_01
April 27, 2020, 2:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The sentiment is there but clubs exploit the FFP rules as it is so I’d just see clubs doing the same.

The difficulty is what about those clubs that generate vast sums of income could potentially be penalised by this.

Would be interesting to see the wider football worlds views on this, surely a salary cap has to be implemented at all levels to actually make a level playing field, not just at our level because the odd club like Salford have exploited the fact they have millionaires who want a vanity project in order for them to gather up land to gentrify areas of a town or city. Let’s face it, the so called experts think Bournemouth is a wonderful story, with these principles they’d never have gone that far.

Having a salary cap at our level would then surely expose those teams if they were to be promoted in to a leave that doesn’t have one?

Like I say, the sentiment is there but I can’t see it being introduced...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
fishboyUTM
April 27, 2020, 3:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
If you go over your salary cap you’re deducted 20 points . That would make overspending completely pointless.

Agree 100%. There is little point in fining a club for exeeding the salary cap when they clearly have deep pockets anyway. The would just factor the fine into their business plan. Hit them with either a points deduction or a promotion ban.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
Boris Johnson
April 27, 2020, 3:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Salford are 3 points above us.......doesnt always follow that big investors means big or instant rewards.

If someone wants to throw vast amounts of money at your hometown club, are we all going to say no thanks its not fair....I wouldnt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
jock dock tower
April 27, 2020, 4:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
It works well in Rugby Union, ask Saracens.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
tarka
April 27, 2020, 5:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +895
Gold Stars: 29

This!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
KingstonMariner
April 27, 2020, 5:59pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
fine them points not pounds.

I’m not sure about an absolute cap but I understand that clubs have ways of getting round the current voluntary income related cap (apart from not volunteering to follow It of course 😆 )

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
HertsGTFC
April 27, 2020, 7:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
I think the cap isn’t so much about levelling the “playing” field as much as it is stopping another Bury happening.

Watch the brown paper envelopes start flying around left right and centre.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
moosey_club
April 27, 2020, 8:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226

Totally agree.....points deduction is the real punishment, fines of £80k are irrelevant, they potentially will earn more than that in promotion monies etc. Pretty much any financial punishment would be pointless as they have money to burn.

Prevent them being promoted is the real kicker.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 28, 2020, 3:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,907
Gold Stars: 179
Wonder if this would be a return to golden handshakes if it happened?

And, how would the salary cap work? Is it a % of your income or the same amount for every club in the same division? Maybe it could also bring a level playing field for ticket prices so that there is a maximum price in each division

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
Posh Harry
April 28, 2020, 7:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,369
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I think the cap isn’t so much about levelling the “playing” field as much as it is stopping another Bury happening.

Watch the brown paper envelopes start flying around left right and centre.  

Brown envelopes not a problem in the short term.

Steve Evans is managing in league 1 at the moment 😎
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
jamesgtfc
April 28, 2020, 1:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
We currently have a cap that is based on a percentage of income but it leads to a situation where an unopened hotel on the other side of the country has the naming rights for a stadium.

The only way is to make a divisional cap. I think percentage of income is a great idea too so they should combine the two. Something like:

Championship: 60% of income & £10k per week cap
League 1: 55% of income and £5k per week cap
League 2: 50% of income and £2.5k per week cap

I'm not suggesting they are the figures to run with because I don't know enough about football finances. If you make the cap too low, clubs with larger attendances will be paying the same wages as those with lower attendances (e.g. Morecambe). If we have 4x the gate receipts but our wage bill is the same, it will just increase lower league transfer fees due to the spare cash and instant demand for success.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
arryarryarry
April 28, 2020, 6:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Boris Johnson
Salford are 3 points above us.......doesnt always follow that big investors means big or instant rewards.

If someone wants to throw vast amounts of money at your hometown club, are we all going to say no thanks its not fair....I wouldnt

Their investors have had big and fairly instant rewards though, a few years ago many wouldn't have dreamt of seeing a team like Salford in the Football League.

Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
golfer
April 29, 2020, 7:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
There have been plenty of "brown envelopes" given to players and managers. I know for a fact this happened in my younger days so am pretty much assured it will be happening now and in the future
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
Gaffer58
April 29, 2020, 8:18am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Personally I am against financial restrictions, if I was fortunate to win a Euro millions at say £130 million, why cannot I buy town and for the next 5 years spend £10 million per year on them, that way there is always the possibility of us doing a  Bournemouth, and making it to the premiership, with financial restrictions there is usually the tendency to stop an upstart club from moving up the football ladder. The only thing I would insist on is that for every pound spent above commercial income a bond for the same amount must be deposited into a separate bank account so if the wealthy owner walks then there are funds to cover any shortfall, that way the owner is basically paying double for transfers/wages so would be more cautious how he spent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
golfer
April 29, 2020, 8:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
If you spent £50million on Town you would want locking up. I would give all my money to China and Iran so that they could buy "Truth" machines.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
Gaffer58
April 29, 2020, 9:02am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
But Golfer, I would still have £80 million to spend on important things like wine,women and cars, sorry I nicked G Best quote.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
Chazzer
April 29, 2020, 9:24am
Shandy Drinker
Approval: +90
Quoted from paramariner

I don't agree with that at all. This will only keep all the clubs down at this level. If a club is fortunate enough to have a wealthy backer who grew up in the area or whatever, let him/her invest whatever the hell they want to and drive the club up the divisions. Fk it!

Smile and give your face a holiday - Jerry Cronin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Level playing field

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.