arryarryarry
April 28, 2020, 6:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Boris Johnson
Salford are 3 points above us.......doesnt always follow that big investors means big or instant rewards.

If someone wants to throw vast amounts of money at your hometown club, are we all going to say no thanks its not fair....I wouldnt

Their investors have had big and fairly instant rewards though, a few years ago many wouldn't have dreamt of seeing a team like Salford in the Football League.

Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
golfer
April 29, 2020, 7:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
There have been plenty of "brown envelopes" given to players and managers. I know for a fact this happened in my younger days so am pretty much assured it will be happening now and in the future
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
Gaffer58
April 29, 2020, 8:18am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Personally I am against financial restrictions, if I was fortunate to win a Euro millions at say £130 million, why cannot I buy town and for the next 5 years spend £10 million per year on them, that way there is always the possibility of us doing a  Bournemouth, and making it to the premiership, with financial restrictions there is usually the tendency to stop an upstart club from moving up the football ladder. The only thing I would insist on is that for every pound spent above commercial income a bond for the same amount must be deposited into a separate bank account so if the wealthy owner walks then there are funds to cover any shortfall, that way the owner is basically paying double for transfers/wages so would be more cautious how he spent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
golfer
April 29, 2020, 8:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
If you spent £50million on Town you would want locking up. I would give all my money to China and Iran so that they could buy "Truth" machines.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
Gaffer58
April 29, 2020, 9:02am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
But Golfer, I would still have £80 million to spend on important things like wine,women and cars, sorry I nicked G Best quote.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
Chazzer
April 29, 2020, 9:24am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +90
Quoted from paramariner
Interesting article on the Telegraph site yesterday about a salary cap being introduced to the lower leagues, think a figure of 2 million per team/club was mentioned. The idea being to stop teams with rich backers ie Salford, paying way over the odds to get the best players. It was suggested that clubs would be fined £87,000? If they exceeded the cap, and the money from the fine would then be distributed among the other clubs.  Personally think this is a brilliant idea. Thoughts?

I don't agree with that at all. This will only keep all the clubs down at this level. If a club is fortunate enough to have a wealthy backer who grew up in the area or whatever, let him/her invest whatever the hell they want to and drive the club up the divisions. Fk it!

Smile and give your face a holiday - Jerry Cronin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Level playing field

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.