Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 202 Guests

Retained list...

This thread currently has 10,405 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
PoutonStepover
March 4, 2020, 10:40am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8
I don’t think there will be as big an exodus in the summer as people are assuming or some now hoping for.

Here’s who I think will still be here come the first game next season:

James McKeown
Sam Russell

Luke Hendrie
Harry Davis
Luke Waterfall
Mattie Pollock
Elliott Hewitt

Jake Hessenthaller
Harry Clifton
James Tilley

Billy Clarke
James Hanson
Charles Vernam
Max Wright

I think that unless these lads show something very special in a few of the next 10 games then they’ll be gone:

Ludvig Öhman
Elliott Whitehouse
Elliot Grandin
Ahkeem Rose

And for me these are definite departures:

Bradley Garmston
Matt Green
Jordan Cook
Harry Cardwell

Is like to see Josh Benson back next season, I think he’d play well with Hess and Clarke as a midfield 3.

So we mostly need:
A pacey left back
A centre back
A ball playing midfielder
Cover for Hanson

Job done promotion here we come!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Ipswin
March 4, 2020, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from PoutonStepover
I don’t think there will be as big an exodus in the summer as people are assuming or some now hoping for.

James McKeown
Sam Russell

Luke Hendrie
Harry Davis
Luke Waterfall
Mattie Pollock
Elliott Hewitt

Jake Hessenthaller
Harry Clifton
James Tilley

Billy Clarke
James Hanson
Charles Vernam
Max Wright

I think that unless these lads show something very special in a few of the next 10 games then they’ll be gone:

Ludvig Öhman
Elliott Whitehouse
Elliot Grandin
Ahkeem Rose

Bradley Garmston
Matt Green
Jordan Cook
Harry Cardwell

Is like to see Josh Benson back next season, I think he’d play well with Hess and Clarke as a midfield 3.

So we mostly need:
A pacey left back
A centre back
Cover for Hanson

What was the deal with Clarke? Didn't he come on the basis of what he could do until the end of the season and has he done enough?

Shame it looks like Ohman will be on his way I recall the mood here on his arrival, very, if not over (as usual) optimistic with 'extend his contract before he's snapped up by a higher division club' claims after just a few games (I can't find the post now but Pete springs to mind   )

Otherwise wouldn't argue with your list but I think we need replacement rather than cover for Hanson (retain him tho') and it's time for a new keeper

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 60
Jarmo.Is.God
March 4, 2020, 11:26am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
This is a really bad idea....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 60
Hagrid
March 4, 2020, 11:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
Id be dissapointed if we kept the majority. We are nowhere near good enough
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 60
lew chaterleys lover
March 4, 2020, 11:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from PoutonStepover

James McKeown
Sam Russell

Luke Hendrie
Harry Davis
Luke Waterfall
Mattie Pollock
Elliott Hewitt

Jake Hessenthaller
Harry Clifton
James Tilley

Billy Clarke
James Hanson
Charles Vernam
Max Wright

Ludvig Öhman
Elliott Whitehouse
Elliot Grandin
Ahkeem Rose

Bradley Garmston
Matt Green
Jordan Cook
Harry Cardwell

So we mostly need:
A pacey left back
A centre back
Cover for Hanson

He perhaps wont be able to offload as many as he would like, but few of those mentioned will be sure of a starting spot.

If you play most of those you will most likely get the same result- below halfway in league 2. How many times have we bemoaned that other, even less fashionable clubs have better players?

If Ollie can't assemble a much better team than we are used to we really are in trouble.

I think he will get a new keeper who will push Macca for the number one shirt.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 60
grimsby pete
March 4, 2020, 11:42am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Ipswin

Shame it looks like Ohman will be on his way I recall the mood here on his arrival, very, if not over (as usual) optimistic with 'extend his contract before he's snapped up by a higher division club' claims after just a few games (I can't find the post now but Pete springs to mind   )

Don't take any notice of me Swin you know I always go over the top .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 60
TownSNAFU5
March 4, 2020, 12:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Ironic that last night The Shop scored 2 goals away at leaders York City.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 60
Maringer
March 4, 2020, 12:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,647
Gold Stars: 189
I think a lot of the players being maligned are good enough and will be kept. The thing is that we need to build a team where the assets of the player complement each other. Our central defenders are mostly 'stoppers', which doesn't help if you're trying to play it out from the back. The midfielders are mostly holding players which doesn't help you to dominate the area. Only Hanson out of the forwards is really capable of leading the line. The other forwards are all more about movement and guile. We have a lot of attackers who want to collect the ball out wide and few who can do so more centrally.

I hope we see Hessenthaler stay as he's an excellent holding player who can also keep possession well enough. More than good enough for this level and the only thing his game is really lacking is goals. Clifton is a good option off the bench - he's still young and has room to improve though I wouldn't necessarily see him as a starter just yet. probably relatively cheap as well. Wouldn't surprise me to perhaps see Benson return for a spell. He's got a lot of ability but needs to work on consistency - like most of these young Premiership players who don't get any competitive football. Same goes for Glennon. I think Grandin may well stay and take over the Benson role (providing Benson doesn't return).

When at his best, Davis has played well but he has had several lengthy spells out injured so perhaps not one to keep. I think Waterfall is a decent League 2 stopper but it sounds as though he was poor last night. We don't want to put too much pressure on Pollock who looks a good young player, though I tend to doubt he'll play higher than the bottom couple of divisions - not that this is likely to be an issue for us! Ohman just too slow in thought and deed, unfortunately. We could do with a slightly more mobile central defender such as Davis, but who doesn't have the injury issues.

Up front, I can't see Green staying past the end of the season, though this will obviously entail some sort of a pay-off. Cardwell to leave, I expect, and possibly Rose as well. Rose certainly has something about him but I'm not sure he'll ever remain fit long enough to develop it. Charles Ademeno comes to mind - strong, tricky with the ball at his feet, quick, but always injured. That leaves one or two spaces in the squad for forwards and we'll certainly need some numbers as we can't expect Hanson to be available for more than perhaps half or two-thirds of the game in the season.

Clarke, Vernam and Tilley provide plenty of skill and some pace between them so not the worst set of attackers to have available, though playing them all at the same time might be an issue. Not sure Wright will ever make the breakthrough, unfortunately. He's struggled since returning from injury and chances are going to be few and far between if he's trying to fit into the team in areas where Clarke and Tilley like to play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 60
Heisenberg
March 4, 2020, 1:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Maringer
I think a lot of the players being maligned are good enough and will be kept. The thing is that we need to build a team where the assets of the player complement each other. Our central defenders are mostly 'stoppers', which doesn't help if you're trying to play it out from the back. The midfielders are mostly holding players which doesn't help you to dominate the area. Only Hanson out of the forwards is really capable of leading the line. The other forwards are all more about movement and guile. We have a lot of attackers who want to collect the ball out wide and few who can do so more centrally.

I hope we see Hessenthaler stay as he's an excellent holding player who can also keep possession well enough. More than good enough for this level and the only thing his game is really lacking is goals. Clifton is a good option off the bench - he's still young and has room to improve though I wouldn't necessarily see him as a starter just yet. probably relatively cheap as well. Wouldn't surprise me to perhaps see Benson return for a spell. He's got a lot of ability but needs to work on consistency - like most of these young Premiership players who don't get any competitive football. Same goes for Glennon. I think Grandin may well stay and take over the Benson role (providing Benson doesn't return).

When at his best, Davis has played well but he has had several lengthy spells out injured so perhaps not one to keep. I think Waterfall is a decent League 2 stopper but it sounds as though he was poor last night. We don't want to put too much pressure on Pollock who looks a good young player, though I tend to doubt he'll play higher than the bottom couple of divisions - not that this is likely to be an issue for us! Ohman just too slow in thought and deed, unfortunately. We could do with a slightly more mobile central defender such as Davis, but who doesn't have the injury issues.

Up front, I can't see Green staying past the end of the season, though this will obviously entail some sort of a pay-off. Cardwell to leave, I expect, and possibly Rose as well. Rose certainly has something about him but I'm not sure he'll ever remain fit long enough to develop it. Charles Ademeno comes to mind - strong, tricky with the ball at his feet, quick, but always injured. That leaves one or two spaces in the squad for forwards and we'll certainly need some numbers as we can't expect Hanson to be available for more than perhaps half or two-thirds of the game in the season.

Clarke, Vernam and Tilley provide plenty of skill and some pace between them so not the worst set of attackers to have available, though playing them all at the same time might be an issue. Not sure Wright will ever make the breakthrough, unfortunately. He's struggled since returning from injury and chances are going to be few and far between if he's trying to fit into the team in areas where Clarke and Tilley like to play.

I hope you're wrong about Max Wright, and I think you are.  I think he and Clifton will improve greatly under IH next season.

I agree with what you're saying about Cardwell and Rose, the latter of which saddens me, but he hasn't made the progress you'd expect over such a long period.

Other than Pollock, I don't know what to make of the other 3 central defenders.  Sometimes I think we have 4 really strong options there, then they go and get the run around and leave me feeling like they're not quite up to scratch.

I'm not sure we'll have a genuine 1st team contender in goal to push McKeown as Macca is likely to be a top earner - we can't really have 2 top earning goalkeepers.  Russell being a player and coach makes such sense, cost-wise.

I'd love to see Glennon and Benson return here next season, but suspect this is unlikely.  PL clubs seem to want their youngsters to step up to a higher level after being in League 2 (like that Tyler Walker kid at Forest).

Hanson, Tilley, Vernam and Clarke are all good options to have up front.  I'd add Wright to that list too, if 4-3-3 is the plan.  Could do with an Amond-style player as well, though, but we've done that one to death on here time and time again!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 60
rancido
March 4, 2020, 3:16pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Ironic that last night The Shop scored 2 goals away at leaders York City.

Remind me what level that is?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 60
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.