Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 269 Guests

Retained list...

This thread currently has 10,404 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
PoutonStepover
March 4, 2020, 10:40am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8
I don’t think there will be as big an exodus in the summer as people are assuming or some now hoping for.

Here’s who I think will still be here come the first game next season:

James McKeown
Sam Russell

Luke Hendrie
Harry Davis
Luke Waterfall
Mattie Pollock
Elliott Hewitt

Jake Hessenthaller
Harry Clifton
James Tilley

Billy Clarke
James Hanson
Charles Vernam
Max Wright

I think that unless these lads show something very special in a few of the next 10 games then they’ll be gone:

Ludvig Öhman
Elliott Whitehouse
Elliot Grandin
Ahkeem Rose

And for me these are definite departures:

Bradley Garmston
Matt Green
Jordan Cook
Harry Cardwell

Is like to see Josh Benson back next season, I think he’d play well with Hess and Clarke as a midfield 3.

So we mostly need:
A pacey left back
A centre back
A ball playing midfielder
Cover for Hanson

Job done promotion here we come!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Ipswin
March 4, 2020, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from PoutonStepover
I don’t think there will be as big an exodus in the summer as people are assuming or some now hoping for.

James McKeown
Sam Russell

Luke Hendrie
Harry Davis
Luke Waterfall
Mattie Pollock
Elliott Hewitt

Jake Hessenthaller
Harry Clifton
James Tilley

Billy Clarke
James Hanson
Charles Vernam
Max Wright

I think that unless these lads show something very special in a few of the next 10 games then they’ll be gone:

Ludvig Öhman
Elliott Whitehouse
Elliot Grandin
Ahkeem Rose

Bradley Garmston
Matt Green
Jordan Cook
Harry Cardwell

Is like to see Josh Benson back next season, I think he’d play well with Hess and Clarke as a midfield 3.

So we mostly need:
A pacey left back
A centre back
Cover for Hanson

What was the deal with Clarke? Didn't he come on the basis of what he could do until the end of the season and has he done enough?

Shame it looks like Ohman will be on his way I recall the mood here on his arrival, very, if not over (as usual) optimistic with 'extend his contract before he's snapped up by a higher division club' claims after just a few games (I can't find the post now but Pete springs to mind   )

Otherwise wouldn't argue with your list but I think we need replacement rather than cover for Hanson (retain him tho') and it's time for a new keeper

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 60
Jarmo.Is.God
March 4, 2020, 11:26am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
This is a really bad idea....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 60
Hagrid
March 4, 2020, 11:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Id be dissapointed if we kept the majority. We are nowhere near good enough
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 60
lew chaterleys lover
March 4, 2020, 11:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237

James McKeown
Sam Russell

Luke Hendrie
Harry Davis
Luke Waterfall
Mattie Pollock
Elliott Hewitt

Jake Hessenthaller
Harry Clifton
James Tilley

Billy Clarke
James Hanson
Charles Vernam
Max Wright

Ludvig Öhman
Elliott Whitehouse
Elliot Grandin
Ahkeem Rose

Bradley Garmston
Matt Green
Jordan Cook
Harry Cardwell

So we mostly need:
A pacey left back
A centre back
Cover for Hanson

He perhaps wont be able to offload as many as he would like, but few of those mentioned will be sure of a starting spot.

If you play most of those you will most likely get the same result- below halfway in league 2. How many times have we bemoaned that other, even less fashionable clubs have better players?

If Ollie can't assemble a much better team than we are used to we really are in trouble.

I think he will get a new keeper who will push Macca for the number one shirt.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 60
grimsby pete
March 4, 2020, 11:42am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Ipswin

Shame it looks like Ohman will be on his way I recall the mood here on his arrival, very, if not over (as usual) optimistic with 'extend his contract before he's snapped up by a higher division club' claims after just a few games (I can't find the post now but Pete springs to mind   )

Don't take any notice of me Swin you know I always go over the top .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 60
TownSNAFU5
March 4, 2020, 12:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Ironic that last night The Shop scored 2 goals away at leaders York City.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 60
Maringer
March 4, 2020, 12:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
I think a lot of the players being maligned are good enough and will be kept. The thing is that we need to build a team where the assets of the player complement each other. Our central defenders are mostly 'stoppers', which doesn't help if you're trying to play it out from the back. The midfielders are mostly holding players which doesn't help you to dominate the area. Only Hanson out of the forwards is really capable of leading the line. The other forwards are all more about movement and guile. We have a lot of attackers who want to collect the ball out wide and few who can do so more centrally.

I hope we see Hessenthaler stay as he's an excellent holding player who can also keep possession well enough. More than good enough for this level and the only thing his game is really lacking is goals. Clifton is a good option off the bench - he's still young and has room to improve though I wouldn't necessarily see him as a starter just yet. probably relatively cheap as well. Wouldn't surprise me to perhaps see Benson return for a spell. He's got a lot of ability but needs to work on consistency - like most of these young Premiership players who don't get any competitive football. Same goes for Glennon. I think Grandin may well stay and take over the Benson role (providing Benson doesn't return).

When at his best, Davis has played well but he has had several lengthy spells out injured so perhaps not one to keep. I think Waterfall is a decent League 2 stopper but it sounds as though he was poor last night. We don't want to put too much pressure on Pollock who looks a good young player, though I tend to doubt he'll play higher than the bottom couple of divisions - not that this is likely to be an issue for us! Ohman just too slow in thought and deed, unfortunately. We could do with a slightly more mobile central defender such as Davis, but who doesn't have the injury issues.

Up front, I can't see Green staying past the end of the season, though this will obviously entail some sort of a pay-off. Cardwell to leave, I expect, and possibly Rose as well. Rose certainly has something about him but I'm not sure he'll ever remain fit long enough to develop it. Charles Ademeno comes to mind - strong, tricky with the ball at his feet, quick, but always injured. That leaves one or two spaces in the squad for forwards and we'll certainly need some numbers as we can't expect Hanson to be available for more than perhaps half or two-thirds of the game in the season.

Clarke, Vernam and Tilley provide plenty of skill and some pace between them so not the worst set of attackers to have available, though playing them all at the same time might be an issue. Not sure Wright will ever make the breakthrough, unfortunately. He's struggled since returning from injury and chances are going to be few and far between if he's trying to fit into the team in areas where Clarke and Tilley like to play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 60
Heisenberg
March 4, 2020, 1:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Maringer
I think a lot of the players being maligned are good enough and will be kept. The thing is that we need to build a team where the assets of the player complement each other. Our central defenders are mostly 'stoppers', which doesn't help if you're trying to play it out from the back. The midfielders are mostly holding players which doesn't help you to dominate the area. Only Hanson out of the forwards is really capable of leading the line. The other forwards are all more about movement and guile. We have a lot of attackers who want to collect the ball out wide and few who can do so more centrally.

I hope we see Hessenthaler stay as he's an excellent holding player who can also keep possession well enough. More than good enough for this level and the only thing his game is really lacking is goals. Clifton is a good option off the bench - he's still young and has room to improve though I wouldn't necessarily see him as a starter just yet. probably relatively cheap as well. Wouldn't surprise me to perhaps see Benson return for a spell. He's got a lot of ability but needs to work on consistency - like most of these young Premiership players who don't get any competitive football. Same goes for Glennon. I think Grandin may well stay and take over the Benson role (providing Benson doesn't return).

When at his best, Davis has played well but he has had several lengthy spells out injured so perhaps not one to keep. I think Waterfall is a decent League 2 stopper but it sounds as though he was poor last night. We don't want to put too much pressure on Pollock who looks a good young player, though I tend to doubt he'll play higher than the bottom couple of divisions - not that this is likely to be an issue for us! Ohman just too slow in thought and deed, unfortunately. We could do with a slightly more mobile central defender such as Davis, but who doesn't have the injury issues.

Up front, I can't see Green staying past the end of the season, though this will obviously entail some sort of a pay-off. Cardwell to leave, I expect, and possibly Rose as well. Rose certainly has something about him but I'm not sure he'll ever remain fit long enough to develop it. Charles Ademeno comes to mind - strong, tricky with the ball at his feet, quick, but always injured. That leaves one or two spaces in the squad for forwards and we'll certainly need some numbers as we can't expect Hanson to be available for more than perhaps half or two-thirds of the game in the season.

Clarke, Vernam and Tilley provide plenty of skill and some pace between them so not the worst set of attackers to have available, though playing them all at the same time might be an issue. Not sure Wright will ever make the breakthrough, unfortunately. He's struggled since returning from injury and chances are going to be few and far between if he's trying to fit into the team in areas where Clarke and Tilley like to play.

I hope you're wrong about Max Wright, and I think you are.  I think he and Clifton will improve greatly under IH next season.

I agree with what you're saying about Cardwell and Rose, the latter of which saddens me, but he hasn't made the progress you'd expect over such a long period.

Other than Pollock, I don't know what to make of the other 3 central defenders.  Sometimes I think we have 4 really strong options there, then they go and get the run around and leave me feeling like they're not quite up to scratch.

I'm not sure we'll have a genuine 1st team contender in goal to push McKeown as Macca is likely to be a top earner - we can't really have 2 top earning goalkeepers.  Russell being a player and coach makes such sense, cost-wise.

I'd love to see Glennon and Benson return here next season, but suspect this is unlikely.  PL clubs seem to want their youngsters to step up to a higher level after being in League 2 (like that Tyler Walker kid at Forest).

Hanson, Tilley, Vernam and Clarke are all good options to have up front.  I'd add Wright to that list too, if 4-3-3 is the plan.  Could do with an Amond-style player as well, though, but we've done that one to death on here time and time again!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 60
rancido
March 4, 2020, 3:16pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Ironic that last night The Shop scored 2 goals away at leaders York City.

Remind me what level that is?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 60
Tommy
March 4, 2020, 3:33pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
I think there are fewer players out of contract this summer than IH would have liked to have offloaded.
And there's probably 2 or 3 specifically that are contracted for next year who he'd have liked to release.

It's clear we need better central defenders. I'd keep Pollock but wouldn't be bothered about the other 3. Davis seems to have become a better player in some people's eyes while he's been injured. He's steady enough and doesn't make many glaring errors, but I don't think he's of the quality we need either. And with him being the only CB out of contract this summer, I'd be amazed if he's kept on.

I think because of the lack of room we'll have to bring people in, we'll probably see quite a few loans from prem/champ clubs like we've seen with Benson/Glennon.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 60
MuddyWaters
March 4, 2020, 3:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Looking at our squad against the top clubs in our division, I don't necessarily think that many of our squad are of the level needed to challenge next season. Probably Hendrie, Hess, Pollock, Vernam, Clarke and Hanson would make the starting XI of a decent side but the rest seem to struggle when we get up against the better teams in our league. It may seem harsh but that should be what we're aspiring to.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 60
Northbank Mariner
March 4, 2020, 3:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Never mind the retained list.
We can bleat on about needing better quality in many positions but I think it'll require Ollie to pull a few rabbits out of hats over the summer as to improve the quality of player you generally need a better playing budget and it worries me that the board have already signed off on next year's budget...
If there hasn't been a significant increase in said budget, taking into account paying the players wages already on the books for next year, I worry we'll not have enough left to pay the wages of the type of players that we as fans all want to see...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 60
Stew0_0
March 4, 2020, 4:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
Think the departures will be....

Sam Russell
Ludvig Öhman
Harry Davis
Elliott Whitehouse
Elliott Hewitt
Elliot Grandin
Bradley Garmston
Matt Green
Jordan Cook
Harry Cardwell
Akheem Rose

Loans not returning:
Josh Benson
Anthony Glennon

Also wouldnt be surprised to see these two let go (unfortunately):
Max Wright
Harry Clifton

So quite a rebuild in the summer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 60
Hagrid
March 4, 2020, 4:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Stew0_0

Sam Russell
Ludvig Öhman
Harry Davis
Elliott Whitehouse
Elliott Hewitt
Elliot Grandin
Bradley Garmston
Matt Green
Jordan Cook
Harry Cardwell
Akheem Rose

Loans not returning:
Josh Benson
Anthony Glennon

Max Wright
Harry Clifton

think The 3 in bold are under contract, i'd keep Hewitt, others would require a pay off, I imagine both on a fair whack
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 60
Northbank Mariner
March 4, 2020, 4:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Stew0_0

Sam Russell
Ludvig Öhman
Harry Davis
Elliott Whitehouse
Elliott Hewitt
Elliot Grandin
Bradley Garmston
Matt Green
Jordan Cook
Harry Cardwell
Akheem Rose

Loans not returning:
Josh Benson
Anthony Glennon

Max Wright
Harry Clifton

The 3 in bold I'd keep..
Elliott Hewitt has proven to be a more than capable back up to Hendrie.
Whitehouse has been solid in midfield, with the exception of yesterday.
Grandin, still settling into the area and country again but shown enough if he's a more than competent creative midfielder at this level...
The rest I'll agree with and feel for Cooky as he's not much of a chance to show Holloway what he's capable due to his ongoing calf injury ..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 60
Tommy
March 4, 2020, 4:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Hewitt's not been awful by any means (when played RB that is, he was terrible in midfield), but I'd be letting him go too.
Bring in a right-back who's quicker and more comfortable with the ball at his feet. Think we need athletic full-backs to be able to get up the pitch but also recover back quickly when an attack breaks down.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 60
pen penfras
March 4, 2020, 5:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Clifton and Wright will almost certainly stay. Clifton is versatile and can get about, just lacks a bit of composure and vision on the ball. Wright is quick and has the ability to beat defenders, also lacking end product.

We need 2 academy products in the squad or else we lose 2 spaces on the bench, and those 2 are perfectly capable of contributing throughout the season. If Rose goes, then we're looking at Starbuck and Buckley who are too inexperienced to know what they can bring.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 60
ginnywings
March 4, 2020, 6:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pen penfras
Clifton and Wright will almost certainly stay. Clifton is versatile and can get about, just lacks a bit of composure and vision on the ball. Wright is quick and has the ability to beat defenders, also lacking end product.

We need 2 academy products in the squad or else we lose 2 spaces on the bench, and those 2 are perfectly capable of contributing throughout the season. If Rose goes, then we're looking at Starbuck and Buckley who are too inexperienced to know what they can bring.

Isn't Pollock an academy product?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 60
Abdul19
March 4, 2020, 6:30pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
And Clifton is under contract too.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 60
pen penfras
March 4, 2020, 6:43pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from ginnywings

Isn't Pollock an academy product?

Ahh yes, forgot about Pollock.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 60
Bigdog
March 4, 2020, 6:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Given a free pick of our current playing squad notwithstanding contracts, parent club's permission etc, I would only keep the following below for a promotion push with the hope that IH can get better in. Would only look at five or six of them being starting eleven too..

Hendrie
Pollock
Glennon
Benson
Clarke
Hess
Grandin
Wright
Tilley
Hanson
Vernam

Goalkeeper's position needs freshening up totally or a promising youngster loaned in from a higher level to compete on equal terms with Macca, the rest aren't quick enough, fit enough for long enough or only have the ability of lower level Division Two and below..

Plenty have had their chances, some unlucky with injury and one or two are never going to improve..

Harsh maybe, but promotion winners have ruthless managers..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 60
HertsGTFC
March 4, 2020, 7:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228

James McKeown
Sam Russell

Luke Hendrie
Harry Davis
Luke Waterfall
Mattie Pollock
Elliott Hewitt

Jake Hessenthaller
Harry Clifton
James Tilley

Billy Clarke
James Hanson
Charles Vernam
Max Wright

Ludvig Öhman
Elliott Whitehouse
Elliot Grandin
Ahkeem Rose

Bradley Garmston
Matt Green
Jordan Cook
Harry Cardwell

So we mostly need:
A pacey left back
A centre back
Cover for Hanson

James McKeown - Can go if we can get better (and cheaper)  
Sam Russell - As a coach

Luke Hendrie - Agree
Harry Davis - Need better
Luke Waterfall - see above
Mattie Pollock - Keep
Elliott Hewitt - Need better

Jake Hessenthaller ; Keep but he'll have some interest from others
Harry Clifton - Need better despit being "oooo"
James Tilley - Keep

Billy Clarke - We need to sign him
James Hanson - Keep  
Charles Vernam - Invoke the extra year and add a couple
Max Wright - New deal

Ludvig Öhman - agree
Elliott Whitehouse - squad player
Elliot Grandin - TBC
Ahkeem Rose - agree

Bradley Garmston - Bit harsh as he's miles away from fitness
Matt Green - Non league
Jordan Cook - Shame but too injury prone.
Harry Cardwell - Non league

If we could get Benson and Glennon on season long loans I'd be well pleased with that but in reality I doubt it.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 60
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
March 4, 2020, 7:35pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
If a new/better keeper is needed, why not lose Russell and give Macca the player/coach position, keeping him in the mix? It's ironic that the Goalkeeping Coach is not as good as the first choice keeper. Having seen Russell performing in goal on the few occasions he's been between the posts, he's not very good!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 60
Abdul19
March 4, 2020, 8:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
It's also ironic that John Achterberg isn't as good as Alisson!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 60
Davec
March 4, 2020, 8:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
If a new/better keeper is needed, why not lose Russell and give Macca the player/coach position, keeping him in the mix? It's ironic that the Goalkeeping Coach is not as good as the first choice keeper. Having seen Russell performing in goal on the few occasions he's been between the posts, he's not very good!

Why does a goalkeeping coach need to be as good or better than the first choice keeper? There's a big difference between playing and coaching and the best players don't always make the best coaches and visa versa. In fairness I can't think of any club who's goalkeeping coach is going to be a better keeper than the first choice goalkeeper?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 60
PoutonStepover
March 4, 2020, 8:44pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Davec

Why does a goalkeeping coach need to be as good or better than the first choice keeper? There's a big difference between playing and coaching and the best players don't always make the best coaches and visa versa. In fairness I can't think of any club who's goalkeeping coach is going to be a better keeper than the first choice goalkeeper?

Exactly, ridiculous comment really, if the coach mess a better keeper, he’d be the keeper.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 60
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
March 5, 2020, 1:15am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
Oh don't you all just love your 'little red crosses'

I think I might become as negative as everyone else and just hit the little red cross for the sake of it.

11 crosses and yet only 2 comments. Just proves my point really.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 60
aldi_01
March 5, 2020, 6:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Coaches don’t need to be better than the person they’re coaching...simple as that.

As for retained list, who actually knows. I don’t believe the chopping and changing of late is helping to see if some are any good.

Personally I’d keep Macca, Hendrie, Hess, Pollock, Vernam, Wright, Whitehouse, Russel (he adds to the wider coaching team) and I think Garmston could be a good addition.

Of the loan players I’d keep Clarke, Tilley and Benson. Glennon is a great player but not even sure we’d be close to keeping him.

The rest can go for me, front two are too old and don’t offer enough, Clifton, well he’s just not good enough and our centre halves left are woeful...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 60
Abdul19
March 5, 2020, 7:04am

Season Ticket Holder
Clarke (6 months, although yes, I'd keep him too) and Tilley (18 ) are our players.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 60
monkeyboy
March 5, 2020, 8:28am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from aldi_01
Coaches don’t need to be better than the person they’re coaching...simple as that.

As for retained list, who actually knows. I don’t believe the chopping and changing of late is helping to see if some are any good.

Personally I’d keep Macca, Hendrie, Hess, Pollock, Vernam, Wright, Whitehouse, Russel (he adds to the wider coaching team) and I think Garmston could be a good addition.

Of the loan players I’d keep Clarke, Tilley and Benson. Glennon is a great player but not even sure we’d be close to keeping him.

The rest can go for me, front two are too old and don’t offer enough, Clifton, well he’s just not good enough and our centre halves left are woeful...

Just to clear up who is on what contract.
Ollie Battersby**     December 2018     2½ years     May 2021
James McKeown     May 2019     3 years     May 2022
Sam Russell     June 2019     1 year     May 2020

Defenders                 
Harry Davis     June 2018     1 year +1     May 2020
Bradley Garmston     January 2020     half season     May 2020
Anthony Glennon*     January 2022     half season     May 2020
Luke Hendrie     January 2019     2½ years     May 2021
Elliott Hewitt     June 2019     2 years     May 2021
Ludvig Öhman     January 2019     2½ years     May 2021
Mattie Pollock     February 2019     2½ years     May 2021
Luke Waterfall     August 2019     2 years     May 2021

Midfielders                 
Josh Benson*     January 2020     half season     May 2020
Brandon Buckley     ?summer 2019     Not declared     Not declared
Harry Clifton     June 2018     3 years     May 2021
Jock Curran**     ?summer 2019     Not declared     Not declared
Elliot Grandin#     January 2020     half season     May 2020
Jake Hessenthaler     June 2018     2 years     May 2020
James Tilley     January 2020     1½ years +1     May 2021
Elliott Whitehouse     June 2018     2 years     May 2020
Max Wright     June 2018     2 years     May 2020

Forwards                 
Harry Cardwell**     January 2019     1½ years     May 2020
Billy Clarke     January 2020     to end of season     May 2020
Jordan Cook     June 2018     2 years     May 2020
Matt Green     June 2019     2 years     May 2021
James Hanson     June 2019     2 years     May 2021
Ahkeem Rose     June 2018     2 years     May 2020
Charles Vernam     July 2018     2 years     May 2020

Legend                 
Craig Disley           Forever     

*indicates player signed to GTFC on loan
**indicates player currently loaned out from GTFC
#subject to international clearance

1 year+(1) indicates 1 year with additional (1 year) option

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 60
March 5, 2020, 8:57am
Guest User
I'm not 100% sure on who should go and who should stay, but one thing we definitely need is an outfield player Captain.
Reply: 31 - 60
lee65
March 5, 2020, 10:51am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Apart from Davis, all other defenders who are on GTFC books (not loan) are contracted to 2021, so are we going to be prepared to pay off those who many feel are off the pace?, I can’t see it myself
I think the best we can hope for at the back is one decent and (very importantly) quick CB, as the rest aren’t bad players but are too slow to react to quick breaks etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 60
aldi_01
March 5, 2020, 10:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I agree and I understand that players are contracted but my musings were more focused on wishes rather than reality.

People keep talking about a play off push next year but unless some of those players who will be here have a pace and skill transplant that play off push is a long way off.

We know that Holloway’s style of play means we’ll concede almost as many as we’ll score but I guess the big worry is that keeping them out has become difficult and we concede really simple goals.

Paying off players isn’t really a solution and just takes us back to that period just before we went down.

I think the biggest disappointment has been how poor some of the players we’ve signed have been given where they’ve come from and the potential they have/had.

Recruitment has been extremely hit and miss since re-entering the league for a number of reasons, and I understand it’s always a potential gamble but this summer need to ensure that ‘biggest budget since we’ve been back in the league’ is used appropriately. Much like with PH who made it clear that you played the way he wanted and fitted in with the mindset else you were gone, the same will happen with Holloway.

Naturally I’m optimistic about next season like every football fan is about their club but we’ve a lot of work to do...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 60
Posh Harry
March 5, 2020, 11:14am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,369
Gold Stars: 35
Even if we want to keep them I suspect that Davis and Hessenthaler will be moving on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 60
HertsGTFC
March 5, 2020, 11:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228

“I think the biggest disappointment has been how poor some of the players we’ve signed have been given where they’ve come from and the potential they have/had. “

Who exactly do you mean ...... many of the additions in recent years have been bang average from average clubs.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 60
Ipswin
March 5, 2020, 11:40am
Vodka Drinker
Perhaps it's time Holloway tailors the style of play to the players we have rather than trying to get players, who are clearly incapable of doing so, to play the way he ideally wants

Plenty of time to get the team playing 'Ollie-style'  next season when he gets rid of those who can't and hopefully brings in those who can

Getting a few good results instead of 0-3 reversals for the rest of the season to keep the feel good factor is more important than trying to turn sows ears, who will probably be on their way anyway, into silk purses.

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 60
March 5, 2020, 12:09pm
Guest User
Have I missed something is the retained list out yet.
Reply: 37 - 60
March 5, 2020, 12:13pm
Guest User
Quoted from Ipswin
Perhaps it's time Holloway tailors the style of play to the players we have rather than trying to get players, who are clearly incapable of doing so, to play the way he ideally wants

Plenty of time to get the team playing 'Ollie-style'  next season when he gets rid of those who can't and hopefully brings in those who can

Getting a few good results instead of 0-3 reversals for the rest of the season to keep the feel good factor is more important than trying to turn sows ears into silk purses.

Let"s be honest Ipswine you've wouldn't know what a feel good factor was even if it fell on your head with a big sign saying FEEL GOOD FACTOR.
Reply: 38 - 60
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 5, 2020, 12:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Ipswin

Getting a few good results instead of 0-3 reversals for the rest of the season to keep the feel good factor is more important than trying to turn sows ears, who will probably be on their way anyway, into silk purses.

That is what people with a bit of common sense will be thinking. Heavy losses knock the confidence of both players and fans. If there are too many more before the end of the season the Ollie factor will be affected and we all know how fickle the Fishy can be. I think we are just marking time now until he gets the chance to rebuild properly.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 60
Ipswin
March 5, 2020, 1:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 140067

Let"s be honest Ipswine you've wouldn't know what a feel good factor was even if it fell on your head with a big sign saying FEEL GOOD FACTOR.

Perhaps I should have described it as 'that ridiculous belief held by so many that a man who is as mad as a bucket of frogs is  going to get a lower mid table 4th division outfit housed at a shite old ground into the Premier League and a new stadium'

There is rightly or wrongly a feel good factor, so far there is no rule that says I have to be part of it. As I have already stated I am only interested in results, 1-0 scrambled hoofball wins will do for me. I have no interest in high scoring defeats, flowing footy played out from the back, promises about a new ground (that clearly ain't going to happen as there is no money), eccentric post match interviews, et al

My point was that to ensure the continued feel good factor which currently surrounds the club, Holloway needs to turn heavy defeats into the odd win using what he's got by temporarily changing direction until he can produce the miracle so many expect next season. A defeat on Saturday and a couple more 3-0s will soon get to even the most optimistic

Private Message
Reply: 40 - 60
golfer
March 5, 2020, 1:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 117
Out of all those who's contracts expire this May I would only keep Russell,Hessenthaler and Vernham,saddly with compassion in my heart I would have to tell the rest that they were useless to our needs but would offer them transport to the job centre.  I must stress that the 3 retained only just scraped another year out of the kindness of my heart
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 60
diehardmariner
March 5, 2020, 1:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Without looking at the list of who is under contract and who isnt'...also excluding the loans.

I think the only players I would be disappointed to lose are:

Pollock, Hessenthaler, Vernam, Tilley and Clarke.

The rest are a bit much about muchness for me.  Max Wright, as others have mentioned, hasn't really kicked on from his early season promise.  Clifton and Whitehouse are a grafters rather than being effective, although Whitehouse has improved under Holloway.  Hanson is quality but made of glass, for the wages that I imagine we'll be paying for him we need to demand more.

5 players may seem harsh but it probably reflects where we are as a side, we need to improve in key areas.  
That said I don't expect it'll be completely wholesale changes.  I get the impression Holloway likes to develop players just as much as bring new ones in.  He'll probably see something he can work with in the likes of Waterfall, Clifton, Whitehouse, Wright, maybe even Rose.  But you can be certain he'll want to bring in at least one top drawer signing for defence, midfield and attack.  I also wouldn't be surprised if a new No.1 comes in too.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 60
Son of Cod
March 5, 2020, 2:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196

Perhaps not now, but surely you haven't forgot the string of ridiculous performances Russell put in against us for Darlo and then to a lesser extent FGR? Very good keeper and we're lucky to have him as a part of our backroom staff from what I gather.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 60
grimsby pete
March 5, 2020, 2:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from diehardmariner
Without looking at the list of who is under contract and who isnt'...also excluding the loans.

I think the only players I would be disappointed to lose are:

Pollock, Hessenthaler, Vernam, Tilley and Clarke

Pollack and Tilley are under contract and we have an option on Vernam 😊

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 60
TheultimateMariner
March 5, 2020, 3:07pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
I think what we need really is compromise. We all know that there’s a lot of players on the books who won’t be good enough to play in a team looking for promotion, so we need to look at our weakest areas, and use some of the funds we have available to get rid of the players we really can’t see even being a rotation player in the team, as we don’t want to go into our transfer budget too much just with paying players off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 60
March 5, 2020, 4:32pm
Guest User
Whoever we retain or release won't make a difference we going up next season
Believe it.
Reply: 46 - 60
Chazzer
March 5, 2020, 5:47pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +90
Quoted from Ipswin

Perhaps I should have described it as 'that ridiculous belief held by so many that a man who is as mad as a bucket of frogs is  going to get a lower mid table 4th division outfit housed at a shite old ground into the Premier League and a new stadium'

There is rightly or wrongly a feel good factor, so far there is no rule that says I have to be part of it. As I have already stated I am only interested in results, 1-0 scrambled hoofball wins will do for me. I have no interest in high scoring defeats, flowing footy played out from the back, promises about a new ground (that clearly ain't going to happen as there is no money), eccentric post match interviews, et al

My point was that to ensure the continued feel good factor which currently surrounds the club, Holloway needs to turn heavy defeats into the odd win using what he's got by temporarily changing direction until he can produce the miracle so many expect next season. A defeat on Saturday and a couple more 3-0s will soon get to even the most optimistic

You have a good point. It could be a testing time for everyone but let's hope that the team settles and gets a few wins in March. If that happens, the feelgood factor will be so good, we'll be painted purple and dancing naked on a harpsichord singing Feelgood Factors are here again.

Smile and give your face a holiday - Jerry Cronin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 60
Meza
March 5, 2020, 9:59pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
Gold Stars: 50
James McKeown - keep
Sam Russell - keep

Luke Hendre - keep
Harry Davis - keep (but think he will leave)
Luke Waterfall - keep
Mattie Pollock - keep
Elliott Hewitt - keep

Jake Hessenthaller - keep
Harry Clifton - keep
James Tilley - keep

Billy Clarke - keep
James Hanson - keep
Charles Vernam - keep
Max Wright - keep

Ludvig Öhman - keep
Elliott Whitehouse - keep
Elliot Grandin - keep
Ahkeem Rose - keep (send out on season loan)

Green - release / transfer list
Cardwell - release / transfer list

There are no garentees that the players will stay however,  but I don't think we need massive overhaul.

Also IH may want to bring his own players in.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 60
Rodley Mariner
March 5, 2020, 10:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
Might have been quicker to write 'Keep every fornicator except Green and Cardwell'?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 60
Meza
March 5, 2020, 10:37pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Might have been quicker to write 'Keep every fornicator except Green and Cardwell'?

No need to be a clever sh@t 🙄

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 60
Superdan147
March 6, 2020, 8:00am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Meza
James McKeown - keep
Sam Russell - keep

Luke Hendre - keep
Harry Davis - keep (but think he will leave)
Luke Waterfall - keep
Mattie Pollock - keep
Elliott Hewitt - keep

Jake Hessenthaller - keep
Harry Clifton - keep
James Tilley - keep

Billy Clarke - keep
James Hanson - keep
Charles Vernam - keep
Max Wright - keep

Ludvig Öhman - keep
Elliott Whitehouse - keep
Elliot Grandin - keep
Ahkeem Rose - keep (send out on season loan)

Green - release / transfer list
Cardwell - release / transfer list

There are no garentees that the players will stay however,  but I don't think we need massive overhaul.

Also IH may want to bring his own players in.

So you’re happy to keep largely a squad that managed to go 15 games without winning a game and barely scoring a goal and has looked a well short in the last few games and against some of the better league two teams? Personally I think there’s about 10-12 players of the current squad I’d keep. Summer overhaul needed, half of this squad are simply not good enough if we want to seriously challenge next year

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 60
diehardmariner
March 6, 2020, 12:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Superdan147

So you’re happy to keep largely a squad that managed to go 15 games without winning a game and barely scoring a goal and has looked a well short in the last few games and against some of the better league two teams? Personally I think there’s about 10-12 players of the current squad I’d keep. Summer overhaul needed, half of this squad are simply not good enough if we want to seriously challenge next year

I think that's about it in a nutshell.

Ability wise I think we need to look to improve on a lot of individuals.  We've got a lot of steady-eddie types who probably won't let you down that often but they're not game changers either.  That's fine to an extent and you need a balance in your squad, but we've got too many.  We've also got a very injury prone squad too.

It's really harsh but the way I imagine Holloway wants us to play isn't going to suit an awful lot of our squad.  Tuesday night highlighted how painfully slow we are across the side, especially at the back.  I'm not convinced we've got enough players capable of moving the ball quickly enough either.  We look world beaters against the Stevenage's of the world but when we come up against a decent side, we're largely exposed.  
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 60
GollyGTFC
March 6, 2020, 1:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,049
Gold Stars: 358
Goalkeepers

Ollie Battersby - Under Contract: Retain
James McKeown - Under Contract: Retain
Sam Russell - Out of Contract: Release

Defenders

Bradley Garmston - Out of Contract: Extend
Luke Hendrie - Under Contract: Retain
Mattie Pollock - Under Contract: Retain
Luke Waterfall - Under Contract: Retain
Harry Davis - Out of Contract: Release
Anthony Glennon - Loan Expired
Elliott Hewitt - Under Contract: Transfer List
Ludvig Öhman - Under Contract: Transfer List

Midfielders

Brandon Buckley - Out of Contract: Extend
Jake Hessenthaler - Out of Contract: Extend
James Tilley - Under Contract: Retain
Josh Benson - Loan Expired
Harry Clifton - Under Contract: Transfer List
Jock Curran - Out of Contract: Release
Elliot Grandin - Out of Contract: Release
Elliott Whitehouse - Out of Contract: Release

Forwards

Billy Clarke - Out of Contract: Extend
James Hanson - Under Contract: Retain
Charles Vernam - Out of Contract: Extend
Harry Cardwell - Out of Contract: Release
Jordan Cook - Out of Contract: Release
Matt Green - Under Contract: Transfer List
Ahkeem Rose - Out of Contract: Release
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 53 - 60
rancido
March 6, 2020, 2:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Goalkeepers

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

So you  are advocating getting a new goalkeeping coach! Any suggestions for a replacement?

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 60
rancido
March 6, 2020, 2:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Goalkeepers

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

So you  are advocating getting a new goalkeeping coach! Any suggestions for a replacement?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 60
GollyGTFC
March 6, 2020, 2:08pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,049
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from rancido

No, I never said that. I was giving my opinion on players.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 56 - 60
speedy
March 6, 2020, 2:51pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +10 / -10
Approval: +445
Quoted from rancido

Funnily enough i think it might be possible to stop playing but also be a coach.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 60
rancido
March 6, 2020, 5:22pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from speedy

Funnily enough i think it might be possible to stop playing but also be a coach.

Exactly but the poster I replied to would  like  Sam Russell released. If he  continues as goalkeeping coach then surely it would be advantageous to keep his playing registration going in case of emergencies?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 60
Meza
March 6, 2020, 8:32pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Unfortunately Golly wouldn't know who is available due to not having access to the player / staff database.  

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 60
KingstonMariner
March 6, 2020, 8:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Quoted from rancido

I hear John Fenty is going to have a bit more time on his hands

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 60
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.