7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
March 2, 2020, 12:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
I really hate hammering players, especially at the game itself.  But I could completely understand anyone moaning at Green on Saturday through pure frustration.

I don't rate him as a player, I think he's pretty woeful in all honesty but each time he comes on you've got to give him the backing.  Yet the problem is he does nothing to help himself.  I've seen a lot of posts saying he tried and you can't fault his effort, I'm sorry but I think you can fault it.  He doesn't appear, in my eyes, to really bust anything like a gut.  It may well be confidence but he's mastered the art of both hiding behind defenders rather than showing for the ball and then also appearing that he will challenge for aerial balls, but not actually challenging for them.

Few posts have also pointed out that he's as useless as Cardwell, or along those lines.  But at least with Cardwell he'll put a shift in, regardless of how effective it is.  Even when chasing down the 'keeper, Green appears half arsed.  I'm actually surprised Holloway has persisted with him.

I hope the lad proves us wrong in the remaining games of the season and then goes onto have a storming season next year, but I just can't see it.  I'm afraid he looks destined to go down as a truly terrible signing, one that I can't even see us managing to offload in the summer.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 66
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 2, 2020, 12:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The signing is a bit reminiscent of Brodie’s. Based on past reputation without properly thinking through what he is like now.

He is a square peg when he replaces Hanson, he needs to play alongside someone like Hanson in a 4-4-2 but that is never going to happen and anyway I doubt he can consistently produce the goods. But I don’t agree that he doesn’t try, he just cannot do what the job demands. Ball played in the air - outjumped. Ball to feet - bounces off him. He needs to be the one running  on to the flick-ons and that’s why he seems to disappear behind the defenders, but we have others now who do that better.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 66
toontown
March 2, 2020, 12:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
The signing is a bit reminiscent of Brodie’s. Based on past reputation without properly thinking through what he is like now.

He is a square peg when he replaces Hanson, he needs to play alongside someone like Hanson in a 4-4-2 but that is never going to happen and anyway I doubt he can consistently produce the goods. But I don’t agree that he doesn’t try, he just cannot do what the job demands. Ball played in the air - outjumped. Ball to feet - bounces off him. He needs to be the one running  on to the flick-ons and that’s why he seems to disappear behind the defenders, but we have others now who do that better.

This. He did bust a gut early in the season but that has faded in recent weeks as his confidence is gone but he isn't lazy. CANNOT play the target man role tho. As stated he needs to be paired with a target man so he is either falling back from the front to receive the ball in space in front of the back 4 and turning or running onto flicks. When he had played that position he has been mediocre, but better than out wide or as a target man where be varies from poor to utterly dreadful as on Saturday. But he is never going to be played in the position that suits him as it doesn't suit our squad and he is only mediocre there now anyway. His one attribute is a powerful shot. We would be better with Clarke in the middle with vernam and Wright wide as against Exeter and keeping it on the deck.

Definitely not a wage stealing type of the sort we had back in the day we were relegated, just too old, and in the wrong team to play to what little strengths he has to offer at this level. I'm sure he will take a pay off in the summer to leave as he clearly isn't enjoying being here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 66
Mayaman
March 2, 2020, 2:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from toontown
It's years since we've been a quick side as Hurst placed so much emphasis on keeping shape it wasn't a necessary factor for him. Slade didnt ephasise it either, or jolley. We always seem so slow moving forward compared to many opposition teams. It's gradually something that will change under Ollie I hope. More pace at the back and at the front.

Yeah bloody awful on the break the last few seasons.  That's lack of confidence.  if we break from an opposition corner, our front line (Pre IH) would stop and wait for everyone to join them, hence allowing the defence to get back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 66
Mayaman
March 2, 2020, 2:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from toontown

This. He did bust a gut early in the season but that has faded in recent weeks as his confidence is gone but he isn't lazy. CANNOT play the target man role tho. As stated he needs to be paired with a target man so he is either falling back from the front to receive the ball in space in front of the back 4 and turning or running onto flicks. When he had played that position he has been mediocre, but better than out wide or as a target man where be varies from poor to utterly dreadful as on Saturday. But he is never going to be played in the position that suits him as it doesn't suit our squad and he is only mediocre there now anyway. His one attribute is a powerful shot. We would be better with Clarke in the middle with vernam and Wright wide as against Exeter and keeping it on the deck.

Definitely not a wage stealing type of the sort we had back in the day we were relegated, just too old, and in the wrong team to play to what little strengths he has to offer at this level. I'm sure he will take a pay off in the summer to leave as he clearly isn't enjoying being here.

Just like he did at Chelsea. I have to admit, despite his performances of late, I like Green.  I wish it would click for him a little more.  Recently 'head down' Vernam did a jinxing run and had a shot.  Green was free 6 yards out. Imagine how frustrating that must be for the bloke. I can't see him hanging around either but wish him well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 66
Kris2
March 2, 2020, 3:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Well in the end it won't be the first or last time a player joins the club and doesn't quite produce on the pitch. I don't think things have really worked out for him this season and he's been kept to mostly appearances off the bench recently. I don't really think the system we play works for him and he's often being used like for like for Hanson recently when he's not a target man. He needs somebody to create chances for him as he's not the type of player who can do that himself so often he ends up kind of invisible. I don't think he's quite the same as a Cardwell who runs around a lot and little else, Green tends to lurk around and gets ignored because we play in a way that isn't getting the ball to him in the six yard box.

Wouldn't be surprised if he wants his contract cancelled in the summer rather than stay as he's probably as frustrated as we are with how his season has gone. I feel like he'd probably get a good contract a league lower and do really well in a team that plays to his strengths. The way we want to play isn't doing that as he's being put in a role he's not suited for.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 66
TownSNAFU5
March 2, 2020, 4:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
My earlier comments on Green were not solely based on last Sat.  Over the whole season he has been poor at best. (He does jump for some balls, but without any conviction and seldom wins one).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Green

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.