4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
scrumble
August 7, 2019, 9:59am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +986
Gold Stars: 10
This is all based on one game. I'm sure Salfords goal was good, but we also had that goal last year that was featured on SoccerAM. It doesn't mean they're going to do it every week, it doesn't mean we aren't capable of it either

https://twitter.com/SoccerAM/status/1067892890607607808

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 39
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 7, 2019, 10:24am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from scrumble
This is all based on one game. I'm sure Salfords goal was good, but we also had that goal last year that was featured on SoccerAM. It doesn't mean they're going to do it every week, it doesn't mean we aren't capable of it either

https://twitter.com/SoccerAM/status/1067892890607607808

It isn’t that we aren’t capable of it, it is that Salford is bound to have players more capable of it more often.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
Maringer
August 7, 2019, 11:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
Pre-season performances and the first game would tend to indicate we're going to be a team which can threaten from all sorts of set pieces where the ball is put into the box. Hanson, Ohman and Davis are all good at attacking the ball in the air as is Waterfall (assuming the rumours of him joining are correct - and not other rumours!). We've got Hewitt who reputedly has a decent long throw in addition to good crossing ability and, while we're not going to get in behind teams too much, we're likely to win a lot of corners, free-kicks and throw-ins in attacking areas to put the opposition under pressure.

This isn't a problem for me - providing it isn't our only threat - but you would certainly be correct to argue that Morecambe's error for the first goal came in part because of the pressure we had previously put them under from set pieces.

It will be interesting to see how many 'lucky' goals we score due to defensive errors by the opposition. It might be more than you'd imagine.

Strong and efficient seems to be a good way to get out of this division and initial signs seem to indicate that we're at least heading in the right direction this season. My only concerns are a relative lack of numbers (and I wonder how often Gibson will be fit to play as well) and perhaps the lack of pace throughout the team. You'd only really say that Rose and Wright have a real burst of pace, though Green and Vernam are obviously no slouches. Perhaps a little one-paced elsewhere, however.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
ginnywings
August 7, 2019, 1:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer
Pre-season performances and the first game would tend to indicate we're going to be a team which can threaten from all sorts of set pieces where the ball is put into the box. Hanson, Ohman and Davis are all good at attacking the ball in the air as is Waterfall (assuming the rumours of him joining are correct - and not other rumours!). We've got Hewitt who reputedly has a decent long throw in addition to good crossing ability and, while we're not going to get in behind teams too much, we're likely to win a lot of corners, free-kicks and throw-ins in attacking areas to put the opposition under pressure.

This isn't a problem for me - providing it isn't our only threat - but you would certainly be correct to argue that Morecambe's error for the first goal came in part because of the pressure we had previously put them under from set pieces.

It will be interesting to see how many 'lucky' goals we score due to defensive errors by the opposition. It might be more than you'd imagine.

Strong and efficient seems to be a good way to get out of this division and initial signs seem to indicate that we're at least heading in the right direction this season. My only concerns are a relative lack of numbers (and I wonder how often Gibson will be fit to play as well) and perhaps the lack of pace throughout the team. You'd only really say that Rose and Wright have a real burst of pace, though Green and Vernam are obviously no slouches. Perhaps a little one-paced elsewhere, however.

You mention this a lot in your posts. Are we any slower than other sides? I think most teams have a mixture of faster and slower players, and i don't perceive that we are much different to any other sides in that regard.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
mariner91
August 7, 2019, 4:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,725
Gold Stars: 262
I think as far as central midfielders go, our three are reasonably mobile.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
Rik e B
August 7, 2019, 6:20pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Not forgetting Ogbu to make his entrance at some point also, although he seemed a bit lost in the hole hopefully he can find his place in the equation somewhere soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
moosey_club
August 7, 2019, 8:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226

Quite so.

Salford scored an outstanding team goal on Saturday, flowing Buckleyesque move that could have come from the Scholes Book Of Passes. You would think they will score for fun but will they? And even if they do will they get promoted? I think you are right, we will struggle for goals in open play in spite of the new signings. The manager has at least made a Plan B by bringing in some physical presence and working on set pieces. I fancy we might sneak a game or two by the odd goal this year, even if undeserved on the run of play. Plus, he has two young quick forwards to either play or use as defences tire as with Wright. I don't think we can hope to play like Salford with the players we have but we may be a more effective points gathering unit than we were last year. Time will tell.

From my viewings so far i think thats his Plan A this season....i think Plan B is bringing on the smaller more mobile players.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
toontown
August 7, 2019, 8:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from moosey_club

From my viewings so far i think thats his Plan A this season....i think Plan B is bringing on the smaller more mobile players.

Agreed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
toontown
August 7, 2019, 8:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from ginnywings

You mention this a lot in your posts. Are we any slower than other sides? I think most teams have a mixture of faster and slower players, and i don't perceive that we are much different to any other sides in that regard.

I think the last few seasons we have been noticeably slower than most teams when breaking. I think we've lacked pace. Although I think we were often ponderous of thought in that regard too.

I don't think vernam is especially quick but last season he was still probably our quickest player.
Hopefully rose and Wright can help in this regard. Haven't seen ogbu but him as well maybe?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
jamesgtfc
August 8, 2019, 12:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
If you are going to utilise your quicker players they are better suited as a Plan B when the opposition have had a tough physical battle and are starting to tire. After 60/70 minutes battling with Hanson and Green, Wright and Rose will offer another problem.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A Word of Caution

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.